Westslope Cutthroat Fish of the Week

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Westslope Cutthroat Fish of the Week

Postby rwwalleye » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am

Hi Everyone,
Here's a little History of Westslope Cutthroat Trout

Westslope Cutthroat Trout (Scientific Name: Oncorhynchus ClarkiI Lewesi) also known as Blackspotted Cutthroat. The Westslope Cutthroat is one of 2 subspecies of native cutthroat trout found in the State of Montana. The State fish of Montana and Idaho is actually misnamed, for westslope cutthroat occur on both sides of the continental divide. Although it can be difficult to identify the subspecies by sight, anglers can often recognize one of thes gorgeous fish by the distinctive pattern of spots. Small irregular spots are sparse on the back and head, and they become more numerous as you move towards the tail, with the belly and sides often spot-free. The average size is 6 to 16 inches and an 18 incher is a trophy.
I hope you like this short history of the westslope. Thanks to Chuck for naming the Fish. I'll put you on the scoreboard.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Re: Westslope Cutthroat Fish of the Week

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 am

Hi Roger and Everyone:

A very nice bit of information on the Westslope Cutthroat Trout. I specially liked the description and the distribution map. Very informative. Thanks!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 am

Very good info, thanks for that Roger! As much as I would love to catch them, sadly we do not have any strains of cutthroats here in NY. I don't even know of anywhere around here that stocks them. We have, trout species-wise, brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout, lake trout, and a small population of golden trout (also known as palomino). The goldens are stocked every year down in the Southern Tier, but the population always ends up small, kind of like they can't get a good grasp up here. All goldens caught must be released.
But enough about that....lets get an outing that harbors these Westslope Cutthroats!!!
wyldechylde77

Postby roxann » Tue May 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Awesome! Thank you for sharing this history. I'll share this to my Biology class:)
roxann

Return to Real World Fly Fishing