St. Regis River, Montana in V.131

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

St. Regis River, Montana in V.131

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi Everyone:

Quite a while ago Paul sent me a folder full of great pictures that he took in Montana and the beautiful Glacier National Park. Paul used many pictures from this photo shooting (and fishing, of course! :lol: ) trip to make the OEM Real World Fly Fishing outings which you all know and enjoyed. The pictures that I have were the extra pictures that Paul took but did not make them into OEM RWFF outings.

I found the picture folder tonight and I thought it would be fun to make an outing using the added capabilities provided by V.131. Paul took 5 pictures of each scene and I will try to use them in this new outing. The original RWFF outings were made with 3 pictures per cycle so the 5 pictures should give the water a better and more realistic movement. Will see if this makes any difference to this new outing.

St. Regis is a nice small wadable trout stream located in the Northwestern part of Montana. A stream like this offers great relaxed dry fly and small nymph fishing. The fish will not be excessively large but will respond to a well presented fly. In this outing I have added the new Jumping Trout so you should have a great small rod experience. I will try to replicate the actual fishing conditions as closely as possible. You will need to have the right fly to catch the fish here. 8)

I should have this finished in a few days and will upload this new "St. Regis Montana" outing in the development forum. This will be published as a complete outing with all the new jumping fish files so you will not have any problems finding the fish and will have a trouble free install and fishing experience.

Regards,

Stanley'

Here are some pictures of the St. Regis River and the fish that you will catch. Have fun!

Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: St. Regis River, Montana in V.131

Postby Boston Bob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:56 pm

Stanley: I'm looking forward to fishing St. Regis. I'll let you know if I think
the 5 pictures per scene + V.131 make a difference.

I can't wait,
Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi Bob and Everyone:

Good to see you back and posting on the Forum again! Happy New Year!

Had a busy night working on the new St. Regis River outing with V.131. The temperature has dropped way down (around 8 degrees Celcius) for the last couple of days and it feels good to stay inside. :P Too cold even for a diehard golfer like myself.

It was fun making this new outing using the added frames per cycle. Paul took these pictures using the "time lapse" method and on many scenes he took five pictures, and on others he took six pictures. I chose the best pictures for a 14 scene outing and found some interesting problems. In some of the scenes the pictures had a slight but perceptible shake and this make the scenes move slightly up and down, or sideways when the pictures are cycled through. Yes, just to show you that he is human even the old Master Paul had a little bit of a shake in taking some of these pictures. :lol:

To the members who are not familiar with outing making I will do my best to explain what I am talking about here. There are two ways to animate the scenes in an outing. The first method is done by taking some time lapsed pictures (usually 3) of a scene. When this is process through the RWFF software and cycled the 3 pictures will repeat itself and this will make the water, trees, trains, boats, mist, cloud, car (what ever is moving at the time when the picture is taken) appear to move on the screen. It is extremely difficult to keep the camera dead still while taking these pictures. If there is only the slightest of movement on the camera while taking the time lapsed pictures, the end result would be a shaky scene in the final product.

The second way to animate the water in the RWFF scenes would be to use only one picture and create the needed water movement through the use of a software like "Natural Illusion Studio". You would draw masks on the water portion and this controls how the water would look and move. You can make it fast or slow, right to left, left to right, wavy or calm. All depended on the scene and the desire of the creator. Pretty cool and effective but there is a downside to this type of animation. The scenes may not look very natural, or too wavy (like ocean waves) for a stream type of water. Often times the scenes lacked the natural look of a "real" scene as everything above the water line remains dead still. This is, however, a very effective way to control the movement of the water when building RWFF outings.

In the original RWFF outings Paul used only 3 frames per cycle and the water looked pretty good. However, now that we have the added capability of using up to 6 frames per cycle I thought I would try to build an outing using this new improvement.

I made several silly errors while building the outing and it came out without any water movement at all and this entailed an almost total rebuild of the outing. With the color depth of the bitmaps restored to where it should be I had a working outing! But wait, what the heck?! :oops:

Several of the scenes (site 7,8 and 14) had a bit too much shake to them and I was not happy. So I went through the outing picture by picture an found the picture that created the shaking movement and eliminated it. I ended up with some scenes with 6 pictures, others with 5 and a couple with only 4 pictures. This will be interesting for you to spot as you work through the scenes. :lol:

Anyway I am putting the final touches on the outing and will test it thoroughly before I post it on the Development Forum. It should be done by this weekend.

Sorry to bore you guys with so much details but after all, a lot of care and attention goes into building an outing for your fishing enjoyment. I hope you will enjoy fishing the new St. Regis River from Montana built with V.131!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby kilback » Tue May 04, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It brings positivity to me :P

-------
Taylor
kilback

Return to Real World Fly Fishing