A Dolly Varden For Martin....400th Outing Coming Up!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A Dolly Varden For Martin....400th Outing Coming Up!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Everyone:

Martin is approaching his epic benchmark of 400 custom outings for our RWFF program. I doubt this feat will ever be surpassed by any one individual member, EVER!! :P Those who have not yet created an outing may not appreciate all the time, patience, artistry and love that goes into each and every outing. You notice most of the outing makers are getting bald headed? Maybe they scratch their heads too much! :lol:

I thought I would help Martin celebrate his 400th outing by creating a fish that he can use. There is no better fish than the Dolly Varden Trout/Char? Some people think the Bull Trout and the Dolly Varden are the same fish but they are definitely not. They even have different scientific names. This one is known as Malma. The Dolly Varden is found in the cold streams of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska and is considered a great game fish for whatever kind of fishing that you like, spinning, fly, etc. The meat is pink like the Salmon and is highly desired.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Dolly Varden. I will finish it up sometime in the next day or so and will send it to Martin so he can put it into a nice fishing environment. Happy fishing! :P

Regards,

Stanley

Last edited by Yellowstone7 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Dolly Varden For Martin....400th Outing Coming Up!

Postby rwwalleye » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Stanley,
beautiful fish and well done, your getting better all the time. Just curious if you'd be interested in doing a paddlefish. Found in Mississippi River and even found in Tippecanoe River south of freeman dam in Carroll county. Let me know what you think. like I said before you turned out a beautiful fish.
Roger Sr. (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:24 am

Hi Roger:

Glad you liked the Dolly Varden. It is pretty colorful and gaudy in its full spawning colors. Should be fun catching one of those in a future outing.

I looked up the Paddlefish and it is indeed a very interesting fish and the range is amazing. They have those as far up as Montana and also in China's Yangtze River! I will try my hand at making one of these when I find a bit of free time on my hands, been busy with various projects right now. :P Looks like finding a good high resolution profile picture will be a little difficult but I will do some searches.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Scottish Warrior » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Stanley,
That looks like a Cracker and would look good on any ones plate.
Cheers Buddy we are getting there,
Outings from Florida,Nebraska,Georgia,Delaware,Vermont,Utah,Sweden and The Philippines or all near completion.
I will have to see if I can use the Varden in any of these.
Regards Martin.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby rwwalleye » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Stanley,
No hurry on paddlefish, still gerring pictures together for freeman dam site for Martin, been busy with well for neighbor and it's been a real pain. When I get all the pictures together will send them to him will probably be a week or 2 at least. Still working on getting all files back on computer but with catching up on well and yard work before old man winter sets in is keeping me busy. But have been trying out new outings. Martin's new Buffalo Flood outings are excellent. Tried doing challenge outing on Part 2 had a good score going but in site 8 fish quite biting and did everything i could think of for an hour but no good. I think i would have completed it but it didn't help when i missed 4 strikes. Not real easy outing, but i like it. really enjoyable and good scenery. Hope to see you on chat sometime.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi Everyone:

I have been working on the Dolly Varden fish files and it is almost ready. I thought I would include a couple of pictures here for those who are curious about how a fish is built, tested and readying it for publication in the Development Forum.

Below you will see a test scene taken in "Cheater Mode". This is a tool the outing builders use to test the fish locations and general fishability of the the new fish and outing. In Cheater Mode youll see the fish and tests are conducted to see that they will take a fly and will fight properly in the outing soon to be released. Fish caught under the "Cheater Mode" are not eligible for Club House fish records. Good sport as you all are I don't expect you to do this anyway, right? :P

I love building the various fish but the job that I really don't care for that much is to get on the internet and find the "caught pictures" for the new fish file. Here you have to get a collection of pictures consisting of smaller and bigger fish and you edit the fish file to make them "fit" the size of the fish that you catch in the outing. It is boring and tedious work but it has to be done. We want to make sure that you don't catch a minnow and the fish shown in the picture is 3 feet long! tonight I had some trouble with my mass image resizing software and I had to go back and redo the pictures 3 different times. Wheeeew!!

Some of you will no doubt try to create your own outings, fish and food in the future and let me tell you this, it is a lot of fun and also very addictive. Just another great feature of our beloved RWFF program! Thanks Paul for giving us all those wonderful tools. :P

Regards,

Stanley

Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby ernser » Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 pm

That's true! My family have not created an outing that's why we haven't experience it yet. My father always suggesting to do a fishing in a lake nearby but too busy in his work:( Hopefully this summer we will push through this. :lol:

----------
Ernser | Douglas Fir Supply
ernser

Return to Real World Fly Fishing