The Competition

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

The Competition

Postby Fisherman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:25 am

Paul, it has been a very long time since anyone produced a mainstream fishing game, but one is out now. "Bass Pro Shops-The Strike" has been released. I have played it and it is a good game, but if I were to compare them impartially, I would put VR Sportfishing ahead on points. Their game has some advantages, a known name, major distribution, multiple platforms... It is the more finished, polished of the two. The graphics are very crisp. While they have a rod that moves laterally, your casting mode is superior. Yours is more open, more realistic, and with the upgrade you have planned, the playing field evens as far as the game itself goes. Frankly, the release of this game can be to your advantage.
I recall you wanting to know what sites reviewed fishing games previously. This is a chance you cannot overlook. Search and find the sites that review this game, and, when yours is ready, submit your game to those sites. It will already have been established that they review fishing games, and recently. I did a quick search and although some of the sites did not yet have the game rated, it is listed and thus getting attention. I had not heard of it before today, but it is already listed by many game sites. Compile that list! Study the reviews carefully and note the negatives and do your best to avoid those in the version of your game you submit. As you know, that initial score is important. Most sites only review a game once.
This release brings fishing games back into the light, so to speak. I hope you can take advantage of it, I really like Vr Sportfishing, and want it to succeed.
Fisherman

Re: The Competition

Postby gonefishin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:40 pm

That game looks just like the rest. The online competition is a luring feature but otherwise the game seems bland. The graphics aren't that great either - they could be done on the regular Xbox. VRSF is in its own category. Who else does virtual reality fishing?
gonefishin

Postby paleodust » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:08 am

You could definitely get some good ideas from this one. It's got some impressive graphical elements to it (splashes, caustics, etc.) that wouldn't be too tough to emulate. Check it out here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06zCz1664F4

I think your fish move more realistically but they've got the jump on you graphically, at this point. As for realism, I can't tell for sure but I'd imagine VR SF would take the cake.
paleodust

Postby reelfish074 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:12 pm

another advantage they have is more fish types (it looks like) but this still has more realistic fish behavior and still loads of fish

i still think vrsf is better =)
reelfish074

Postby paul » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks for the info. I'll have to have a look at this one's strengths and weaknesses. I'm really looking forward to the next round of updates for VRS, and I think the graphical changes I have planned will make the environment look quite a bit more natural. I'll get some more species into these updates, too.

I'll definitely take your advice and after these upcoming enhancements I'll find out who has reviewed the new BPS game, then pitch VRS to them.

Thanks for your insight!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Fisherman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:19 pm

Paul, one of the most important aspects of your game is that it is still under development. Even when it does reach a "finished" level, it is your continued support and response to your customers preferences that set your games apart from most other developers. Now just how you can manage to include that in your presentation to ensure the reviewers get it right I don't know. I mean, we can expect a patch or maybe two from Bass Pro Shops. Here, we have a thriving community of fisherman and fishing game fans. Our voice is heard. That, along with the sim-aspects of your game makes VR SportFishing Number 1!
Fisherman

Postby reelfish074 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:39 pm

Fisherman wrote:Paul, one of the most important aspects of your game is that it is still under development. Even when it does reach a "finished" level, it is your continued support and response to your customers preferences that set your games apart from most other developers. Now just how you can manage to include that in your presentation to ensure the reviewers get it right I don't know. I mean, we can expect a patch or maybe two from Bass Pro Shops. Here, we have a thriving community of fisherman and fishing game fans. Our voice is heard. That, along with the sim-aspects of your game makes VR SportFishing Number 1!

AMEN!
reelfish074

Postby paleodust » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:40 pm

That's a good point. Reviewers may have a difficult time understanding or communicating that correctly. I'll admit, a big factor in my original decision to buy VR Sportfishing was the promise that it was to be continually improved and updated for FREE! That's a rare concept and, though I found the demo unpolished and buggy at the time, I figured that I was investing in the early stages of what I believe will ultimately become a force to be reckoned with.
paleodust

Postby Justin Douglas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:01 pm

I am new to this forum my name is Justin I mainly fish for bass and pike and also have a degree in Aquaculture and Fisheries. I have tried many fishing games and haven't found many to be very realistic. I ordered VR sportfishing last week I can't wait to try it. I also like the thought of the game being constantly updated.
Justin Douglas
Justin Douglas

Return to VR Sportfishing