Hooks etc.

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Hooks etc.

Postby Pitti » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi :)

Have you ever heard about Ronn Lucas Coloured Hooks?

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/colhook.htm

Here they are for RWFF. And some more material and flies. 3 special pattern for the Scottish River Spey and a very ugly sample which is tied using the new mats. Only a very crazy RWFF fish would take it. :wink:

Download = http://www.alice-dsl.net/pethein/add.zip

Regards Pitti

Pitti

Postby Pitti » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:27 pm

I don't want spam, but isn't it beautiful? :wink:

Pitti
Pitti

Postby Cutch » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:23 pm

Geat job Pitti,....thanks :!:
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Hello Pitti,

Nice flies you have there. I'm assuming you tie in the real world as well. Got any of your "real" classic atlantic photos on the web anywhere? I really enjoy seeing the different styles from all over.

I just started tying speys and dees about 6 months ago and have tried my hand at classic atlantics a few times. I'm pretty fortunate to have a few good instructors in the area to learn from.

I stumbled across a website a few weeks back and discovered the guy lives about a mile downstream from my house. If interested you can see his stuff at:

http://www.geocities.com/mehama_mike/mi ... e/home.htm

Again, great job on the virtual classics.

Dave
dcarp

Postby Pitti » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Dave,

yes, this is a very nice website. Myself have no site. Last years I don't real tying anymore, because I'm fishing just more every 3 years or so.
When I was younger, I traveled every year to the north of Scandinavia at the River Komak for polar char. One way 4 days from Berlin.
Later I've fished at the famous River Em in the sourth of Sweden. Here I had to wait 5 years for a 3 days fishing license at the famous Barrett-Pool, because it's the favorit water of the Swedish King, the boss of Volvo etc.
The remaining period I fished at the cheaper places for the lower folk.
But the long expensive ways! Over the years my first hobby change to photography. This can I enjoy in Berlin too. :)

I don't like fishing in Germany. Flywater are very expensive and I don't like put and take rules. And.. in Germany you have to pass a examination for fishing in theory and practice! You must cast the lure into a bucket and some things more. It's nothing for me. In Germany you need licenses for all things.

Therefore I like RWFF so much. A little bit tying and fishing (and dreaming)at waters which I will never see in my life.

I said it before. Most of you are living in regions with beautiful natur and fishingwater. Some directly in front of your home. Enviable. Enjoy it!

Sorry, it seems a little offtopic. :oops:

Regards Pitti
Pitti

Postby dcarp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Pitti,

After hearing your stories, I realized how lucky we are here in the states. A lot of us can fish pretty close to home or have places to fish within a hour or two drive.

After spending a little more time catching up on the posts on this forum I see that you are a major contributor here. Lots of flies, running the challenges etc. Thank you for your contributions.

Dave
dcarp

Postby dcarp » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 pm

Pitti,

You seem to be the expert here (along with Cutch) regarding custom fly stuff. Can a specific Hook be photgraphed, scanned or "borrowed" from the web for use in RWFF? Is that where you got the Ron Lucas hooks? I'm assuming you convert to a ".bmp" file, then edit the ".ftc" file for characteristics. If that is the case, then how do you know the "coordinates" (?) of where specific tie-in points are??

I'd like to start adding my own materials (from my real stock) - hooks, feathers, etc. for the tying section of the game, but also want the finished fly to be productive.

I realize I may be asking stupid questions here as a newbie, so please have patience with me.

Dave
dcarp

Nevermind

Postby dcarp » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:54 pm

Hello again.

Please disregard my previous post. I just ran across Paul's post from March describing how to do exactly what I was asking about.

Really sorry :oops:

Dave
dcarp

Postby Pitti » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:47 am

Hi Dave,

In the case of the hooks and hairs above I have take the hooks which comes with the game and colorize it. Very simple.

Most other material like feather I have from the web, cut some parts and edited it. Of course, the most candid way would be to photograph your own material collection and use this. The only problem could be if you want to create one of the rare old original feather like parrot, which is often used for the classic featherwings . Then the web is a good source to get pics from it.
About the coordinates: Here I have used the "try and error" way to get the right position.

I'm happy that you want create material too. :D We can need many of it. Also if the tying part of the game support only a low screen resolution and flies don't look like real, it's very funny. Paul is thinking about a higher resolution, so that the flies would looks more beautiful. But this would be nor easy and take many times. Perhaps it comes with a new version next year or so?

I hope that you will share your creations at the forum..

Regards Pitti
Pitti

Postby dcarp » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Hello,

The web is a great source of material images, especially the rare and endangered species. In the real world, I don't use any of the spendy stuff and have stuck with finding suitable (and cheap) substitutes. If you spend a little time and effort, you can usually dye or use color markers to come pretty close to what you need. (I'm sure the purists with take issue with this).

I'm working on a good likeness to heron (or blue eared pheasant) and Golden Pheasant Crest for spey, dee and classic flies. If I come up with something presentable, I'll be sure to post it.

Dave
dcarp

Return to Real World Fly Fishing