Outboard breakdown

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Outboard breakdown

Postby paul » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:39 pm

For some time I've been considering adding the possibility of damaging your boat or motor, or having a breakdown on the water. This morning a friend called me on his cell phone to say he was stranded on the river with an outboard that wouldn't start. I just got back from giving him a tow back to the launch. Hopefully it will be a minor problem and a quick fix. But it's got me thinking - it's time to get that into the game.

I think it would add an element of danger if you can wreck your boat. The faster you hit the shore or a reef, the more likely and the more serious the damage. And the older, cheaper boats could suffer the occasional random mechanical failure. You would need to get the motor repaired and the shop. Of course totalling an outboard during a tournament would likely mean being unable to get back for the weigh in.

What do you think? And if I do add that, should it not apply to the beginner skill level?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Outboard breakdown

Postby paleodust » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Hmm... Good question.

Why don't you list it as a seperate toggle option in the settings menu so that it can be activated/deactivated at will?

That way, people have a choice about whether they want the possibility of opening that can of added realistic frustration potential or whether they just want to be ensured a relaxing, carefree day on the lake (depending on personal preference/mood).
paleodust

Postby gonefishin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:38 am

Yeah, I think this is a great idea. Also, maybe implement the same idea for equipment. Hooks get old and rusted, paint chips, electronics fail, and so forth.

Most important to me is the strides you're making to create more realistic effects, i.e. the waves. Installed the latest update - looks great! I'm putting my Porta-Bote up for the season and will be spending a lot of time with this game now.
gonefishin

Postby 71__cuda » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 pm

yeah, that would add a lot of realism to the game. I remember when i was younger me and my dad were taking the boat back to the woarf and the shear pin broke for no reason at all. so we put the spare in and away we went just to hit a rock and break the prop. so we had to row for about two hours to get to the woarf. why not add oars to the boats that don't have electric motors.
71__cuda

Postby Fisherman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Odd, I thought there was something like that already in place as whenever I have been struck by another boat or at times when I have booted out of a tournament early, my trolling motor stops working. It does not matter how much fuel is in the tank, and takes a couple of new fishing trips to clear things up. This is not a "feature"?
Alongside the idea of damage is repair. Different lakes might cost more or less to have repairs done-Al can git er done in a day for five hundred, but George will fix it in two hours for three thousand... Also motor sales might be possible, as well as a "Friendly" handout from a fellow tournament angler.
Fisherman

Postby paul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

The only penalty for damaging the boat now is collisions with other boats, which will end your tournament or fishing trip. The trolling motor charge is more complicated. Each fishing trip and each day of a tournament you start with a fully charged deep cycle battery for running the trolling motor. While using the motor it's draining the battery. The higher the power, the faster it drains the battery. While driving with the outboard the battery is charging slowly.

I like the idea of varying prices for repair, with the option of a rush-job during a multi-day tournament for a premium price.

I also like the suggestion of oars for rowing in boats without an electric motor. I'll add that to the list of things to explore. I've also thought about making a rowboat or canoe and option. I think it would be fun to explore some of the lakes by canoe, and it would have the advantage of being able to get into shallower water than a motorboat, but the disadvantage of moving much more slowly.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paleodust » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Boats don't seem to have any affect on fish morale as far as I can tell. Have you considered modeling fish behavior in response to the boats?
paleodust

Postby paul » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:45 am

The game doesn't have the fish notice boats all the time you're driving just to keep the computing power of the AI reasonable, but they do react to your boat the moment you switch from driving to fishing. That way if you motor into the shallows and switch to fishing, the boat will scare all fish within a few yards. Once it's on electric power or drifting it will only spook fish that are even closer to the boat. You can still scare them with the electric power by running right over them if they're fairly near the surface.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to VR Sportfishing