3rd version problem...

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

3rd version problem...

Postby Cutch » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Do any of you have this problem? When I cast a fly, regardless whether it's a dry, wet, nymph, streamer, etc,....as the fly floats away or towards me, (depending on which way the current is running), the line lets out as though I'm pressing the right button, releasing the line. (which I'm not)
It's very hard to control the line as I have too much slack that I cannot control,...therefore I miss the strikes and cannot hook the fish?
This did not happen in the earlier version?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. :wink:
Cutch

Postby paul » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:39 pm

Cutch,

Are you fishing with a joystick or the mouse?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Unclewalnut » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:39 am

I have notice the same problem and use a mouse. It does not happen too often though, but is kind of annoying
Unclewalnut

Postby Cutch » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:27 am

Paul, I use the mouse.
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Today I got exactly the same problem using a mouse.

Pitti
Pitti

Postby Pitti » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi, me again.

I tried to reproduce it. I get the bug not every time, but very often, also after restart the maschine.
This I do:

1) Go Fishing
2) I get the problem most at the Oak Valley Creek, 2. and 3 site.
3) I use Rod Length 8", Weight 5 , Line Floating, Leader 8.6 5x, Pale Morning Dun Size 10.
4) Click the right mouse button 3 times to bring out the line. After some back and fore-casts the line will be longer and longer without any click. Like a shooting line.

Perhaps it can help to find the problem.

Sorry for my bad english :oops:

Pitti
Pitti

Postby Cutch » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 pm

The line being realeased, without pressing the right mouse button, doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be it's irritating. :roll:
Cutch

Postby paul » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:37 am

Thanks for the detailed description of how to reproduce the problem. That will definitely help me get to the bottom of it.

Sorry I haven't been too responsive lately. I just got back home tonight from California. The good news is I've got lots of good site photos on several rivers. Clear water, some great scenery, and some great fish pictures. Here's the beauty of the trip: a 22 inch rainbow that took a #18 nymph and launched out into the rapids. That was the loudest screaming drag I've ever heard, but somehow the tippet held.

This week I'll see what I can figure out with the line stripping bug. Prior to the Third Edition there was a bug in the handling of the joystick buttons controlling letting line out, and perhaps the fix for that introduced the new problem with using the mouse. As soon as I have a fix for it I'll get an update on the web and post here to let everybody know.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Cutch » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks for the quick response, Paul. (Beautiful Rainbow Trout) :!:
While you were in California, did you get pictures of the American River?
It would be kewl if you could introduce Stripers in the game,...they're awesome fighters on flies. :wink:
Many years ago I had a friend that caught Striped Bass on flies in the Sacremento River. :wink:
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 am

Hello :)

Any news about a fix for the problem? After a little bit fishing yesterday I found that this bug is more and more boring.

Regards Pitti
Pitti

Postby paul » Fri May 18, 2007 3:02 pm

I'll release an update next week. It will fix the line stripping problem, and the absense of crappie. I've had the fix done for a while but building a new cut and testing it thoroughly takes more time than I've had, especially with the release of Fishlogix. But that update is my top priority for next week.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Fri May 18, 2007 3:41 pm

Cool! Thank you :)

Pitti
Pitti

Postby paul » Thu May 24, 2007 4:45 am

I've just uploaded a patch for the Third Edition. You can get it with this link:

http://www.pishtech.com/rwffu110.zip

Download and follow the instructions in the included readme.txt file.

Note: This update ONLY works with the full Third Edition (not with the demo version or older editions of the game.)

If some of you would like to give it a try, I'd appreciate some testing. It contains a fix for the line stripping issue (which actually happened when the fly was bumping on the bottom) and the absense of crappie. You should be able to find crappie in Barron Pond, and confirm that line doesn't strip out no matter how much your fly drags on the bottom.

Also, just for fun, the update includes a tweak requested by Pitti: If you create a file in the game folder called rodcolor.txt and put in one line of text with a hex color code, the rod will appear in that color. If you don't have an image tool that can produce hex codes for colors, you can find plenty of hex color codes on-line. Here's a site with a bunch of them: http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/refe ... lor_codes/

Please let me know how the update goes for you. If it seems to work smoothly I'll add the link to the downloads page.

Thanks, and happy fishing!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Thu May 24, 2007 7:33 am

Hello :)

Only a first quick response.
Thank you. The rod and line colors works great. It's funny to fish with a vintage bamboo rod. :)
A crappie I could not catch yet, but I havn't try it longer time for now. I'll try it later more intensive.

Btw @ all: To change the line color you need a second txt file called linecolor.txt.

Thanks again for the new features!
Regards Pitti
Pitti

Postby kerrye » Thu May 24, 2007 12:01 pm

Paul, I extracted the update file to Pishtech/RWFF but am unable to find an executable file dated later than 4/2/07. Somethin' aint right. KE
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Next

Return to Real World Fly Fishing