Thoughts on the future

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Re: Thoughts on the future

Postby paul » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:41 pm

I haven't had them return mostly because the AI is much more complicated if they have to get to a particular place, especially where many boats are converging, and do it without hitting other boats, especially the players. Right now they don't exactly worry about where they're going to get to, just how they drive in order to avoid running aground or colliding. Now and then they stop to fish or change their minds about which way they want to go, but navigating back to the dock could get really complicated. It doesn't really effect your results, but it's true that it doesn't seem as realistic if they aren't making their way back. I may do something about that at some time, but in time it would take to implement that I could probably add something more exciting like rivers. So I'll put it on the list, but lower in priority than some other features.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Fisherman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Well there is no arguing the priorities, but such small details will eventually flesh out the game and be more consistent with the Sim aspect of VR Sportfishing. Speaking of which:
Rigs. Along with the coming development of trolling, different rigs ought to be implemented at some point. Texas and Colorado type rigs etc for worm fishing, and for trolling, such a rig as a three-way trolling rig for walleye and flashers of different colors and sizes for attracting trout to your lure. Trolling live bait should also be an option.
To add some personality to the game, catching a stick or an anchor, even a crawdad would add that "Oh, man" feel to the realism.
Fisherman

Postby paleodust » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:12 pm

I would love to have the ability to re-open the spool at any time to let the bait (or lure) sink deeper where it's at. I know you can drop it straight down over the side of the boat by rolling the mouse wheel. However, in cases where the fish isn't near the boat but is beneath the distant bait, I would like to be able to let it sink straight down from where it is rather than having to reel it back to the boat and recast.
paleodust

Postby paleodust » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 pm

RWFF has a feature that keeps track of your records. I thought it would be a nice feature to implement here as well.

That reminds me. Sometimes, when I'm fishing in a tournament, some of the smaller fish are not put into the live well. Is there a minimum size? I haven't been able to figure out what it might be because it seems to be arbitrary at times. I could swear it keeps fish sometimes that are smaller than others that are not kept. How does it work? :?:
paleodust

Postby paleodust » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I tried some popper fishing yesterday, which was fun, but I was wanting to see some violent splashes. As it stands, it's almost as though they are delicately plucking a fly off the surface. Any plans of simulating some nice surface explosions?
paleodust

Postby Fisherman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:12 pm

While fishing in a panfish tournament, i experienced harassment by three AI fisherman. No, really. I had just discovered a nice school of crappie, anchored and cast out my first lure, when there was a rumbling and roaring, over and over. One boat was right next to mine, gunning its engine again and again, then shutting down and repeating. Two other boats were roaring around in the shallow water(5 feet), 15 to thirty feet away, tail-walking and going full speed around and around our position. This went on for about a full minute of fishing time, by which time the school was scattered. I didn't catch a one.
Now whether or not their noise and movement disturbed the fish is a point but: At some point the AI should be addressed again to make the semblance of fishing their priority. Such "manners' would have been cause for a stern warning by tournament officials, if not sanctions in anything resembling real life. Not to mention what would have occurred at dockside when I found them...
Fisherman

Postby gonefishin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:09 pm

ROFL!
Funny as hell.
I wonder if this is a 'feature'. And yeah, in real life, the fishing would turn into boxing.
gonefishin

Postby paul » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 am

Yes to splashes - Definitely on the list, and I've got a pretty promising method of handling those.

As for the AI fishermen thrashing the water around you, that sounds like a freak situation, one I've never seen but I can see how it could happen. Generally they'll turn hard to avoid going aground, unless they would hit each other or you by doing so, so I can imagine a situation in which they'd get stuck going in a circle. They won't stop to fish in a situation like that because they don't want to crowd you while you're fishing, but in this case it sounds like its worse for them to keep boating. I can add a little logic so if they're motoring at high throttle and they stay within a couple hundred feet of you for more than a few seconds, they should cut the throttle. Better for them to sit around at idle until they can find a way to ease out of the area than to churn the lake to foam. I'll get that on the list too.

Thanks for the repots, folks!

I'm also working on an alternate water effect. For those without a powerful dedicated video card, it's often best to turn off the water effects (reflection and refraction.) Without those effects the water doesn't look so life-like. I've got a nice new system of animated waves working that shouldn't take nearly the computing power of the high-level water effects, but it's taking me a while to get the lighting of the waves the way I want it. When it's done it should be a nice improvement for those running with the water effects on low.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby 71__cuda » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:43 am

how about a slow moving river with some salmon and sea trout, and mabey some alewives. just to get some new and bigger species to fish for.
71__cuda

Postby paul » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm

One of the reasons I'm eager to get rivers in there is to have the habitat for white sturgeon. One of the most thrilling experiences of my life was catching a 9 foot white sturgeon in the Columbia River. I thought I'd never catch a fish that size again, but an hour later I caught a 12 footer. I can't wait to simulate that kind of fishing in VRS.

Personal records for each species, and maybe for each species in each lake, is another must.

About the minimum size fish for tournaments: For bass it's 14 inches, walleye are 15 inches, pike are 20. Panfish (bluegills, crappies, perch) have no minimum length. These minimum sizes are common at least in the Midwestern US, except the 20 inch pike with I added arbitrarily. So far there aren't any tournaments for muskies or trout.

Paleodust asked about re-opening the reel in the middle of a retrieve. The mouse wheel technique should open the reel at any time, so you can use that to stop a retrieve and let the lure or bait sink again.

Thanks for all the input, everybody!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Fisherman » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Rivers do sound good, there is a greater variety of habitats along their course, which brings to mind:Trees and shade. Is it at all possible to get the trees closer to the shoreline on a lake? Certainly, this would be a must along some of the rivers I have fished. And I hope that certain species make the cut. Smallmouth bass, for instance. How about Striped Bass? Salmon?
I'd very much like to have the option of a real-time tournament. At times there is barely enough time to fish a spot or two, much less cull into the bigger fish. There are times when I just don't want to feel rushed when I'm fishing, and a longer time option would add to that realistic sim feel.
Fisherman

Postby gonefishin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Fisherman wrote:Rivers do sound good, there is a greater variety of habitats along their course, which brings to mind:Trees and shade. [...]
I'd very much like to have the option of a real-time tournament.[...].

I agree with both. Also more structure in general - weed lines, trees, rocks, etc.
gonefishin

Postby paleodust » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:13 pm

gonefishin wrote:
Fisherman wrote:Rivers do sound good, there is a greater variety of habitats along their course, which brings to mind:Trees and shade. [...]
I'd very much like to have the option of a real-time tournament.[...].

I agree with both. Also more structure in general - weed lines, trees, rocks, etc.

Perhaps with the option to tone them down for people with old video cards or pumped up to full density for those who can handle it (like what you're doing with the water effects).
paleodust

Postby paleodust » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:14 pm

BTW, the mouse wheel only works for me before the cast (to drop it over the side of the boat). I haven't been able to make it work during the retrieve.
paleodust

Postby gonefishin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:54 am

Paul, any plans to further utilize the Stix controller? When I'm playing, it seems I have to use a combination of the keyboard, mouse, and Stix. Also, I have an idea for the mouse scroll wheel: zoom in and out. When I'm playing using the VR920, the zoom plays a big part in the realism. What would be great is a re-mapping feature to allow the user to configure which keys, buttons, etc. do what.

Just some suggestions. I realize you have a full plate to handle as I do as well. I'm hoping to have more time with the game in the next few days.
gonefishin

PreviousNext

Return to VR Sportfishing