Vuzix VR920 headset - first impression...

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Vuzix VR920 headset - first impression...

Postby gonefishin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 pm

... nice!!

$400 retail, but you can grab it NIB on eBay and elsewhere for $300 and under.
Setup is simple and calibration is ultra easy. Mine came pre-flashed with the latest firmware but the website offers updated drivers and firmware if you need it.

The head-tracking in VR SportFishing really adds to the depth of the overall gameplay. I actually felt like I was at the stern of the boat, being able to look all around by physically moving around in my office chair. It's a little jittery sometimes but doesn't inhibit gameplay. Complemented with VRSF's zoom and view changing ability, the headset gives a whole new level of realism to the game.

Windows reported the VR920 sound driver to be working fine and I could change the volume in the mixer, but no sound came from the earbuds. Something to work on later I guess. Actually though, I prefer my 5.1 surround system anyday over some little earbuds.

Still waiting on my Stix 400 wireless controller to arrive before I can get the full VR experience.

The VR920 also goes GREAT with Grand Theft Auto IV when you're cruising the city in a vehicle using the windshield view. It is soooooo real. Definetely have to try sometime after slamming down a 12-pack! (you can't get DUI from your own home... yet)

http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_vr920.html
gonefishin

Re: Vuzix VR920 headset - first impression...

Postby gonefishin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:41 am

Playing around with this some more, I've found it's awesome for watching movies and for reading ebooks while laying back on the couch with my laptop. So nice sometimes not to have to sit at my monitor. Anyone else have any experiences with the VR920?
gonefishin

Return to VR Sportfishing