A Button To See the Fighting Fish??

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

A Button To See the Fighting Fish??

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:13 am

Hi Paul and Everyone:

While I was fighting a big Sturgeon in one of SW's outings tonight, I thought of something that might be a nice addition to the RWFF game. I hooked a large fish in expert mode, and for about twenty or more minutes all I saw was the line zig-zaging on top of the water. Would it be possible to assign a button so when pushed, the fish can be seen fighting underwater? I know this is available in the "C" mode but it would be a great feature in the regular mode as well. Twenty or more minutes is a long time to just watch the line going back and forth across the water. :P :P Of course this feature will only be available AFTER the fish has been hooked!

Richard has done such a masterful job of creating these fish that I think a feature like that would show off the fish more and will add a great deal to the attraction to the game. What do you think about that?

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Button To See the Fighting Fish??

Postby richwest » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:37 am

Stanley,

I personally think you should purchase VSF :lol: :lol: :lol:
Altough the created species look very good, the game is called real Fly Fishing.
I remember from my real fishingdays, I only saw the fish when it jumped or rised, which gave me a real blow of excitement.

Like in real life you will see the fish fighting when it starts rising in RWFF too, and i like it this way.
But it's just my oppinion on this and i would like to see what others think of this (most of all, what Paul has to say about this)

Other thing is, the game is not designed to show great ans pectacular fighta, the hooked fish would just be shown as flipping pictures and nothing fancy.

Btw there is a way to see your fish fighting, switch to cheater mode and press 1-button. Only thing is your catches will not be registered. :lol: :oops:

So let's see what others think, before getting Paul to do things.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby Barns » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Hi Stanley

Sorreeeeee but i am with Richard on this one, in real life fighting big fish you cannot see what the fish are doing, wish i could at times, but that is part of fishing.

I don't think another button to see what the fish is doing is neccessary. Over a period of time the fish tires and eventually comes to surface.

There is another answer to this stop fishing for big fish. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know i'm only kidding Stanley. :roll:
Good luck with the big ones, i haven't touched a big fish recently.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Richard, Barns and Everyone:

Hey Barns, good to see you back and posting on the forum again. I was feeling a little lonely without seeing your daily post and catching of big fish. :P :P

About the button to see the fighting fish, let's just forget it. While I don't agree entirely with what was said, it is not all that important. life is far to short to go into an idealogical debate over a GAME. :P :P Games are meant to be fun, fantasies, the impossibilities, and bears little resemblance to real life. My life is not a game, and my game is not my life. I would hate to get those two confused. My wife would get very upset if I did that :lol: :lol:

Come to think of it, I suppose you guys don't wear polarized glasses so you can see better into the water when you go fishing? Never go to a Ocean Park and see the big sharks living with little minnows? Taking a food tidbit from the aquarium keep? Or own an aquarium or two yourself? Those aren't natural either, but they are fun to see!

Having said that I wanted to tell you that fishing the Farletonview Ponds tonight was a real treat. I had forgotten how beautiful and relaxing those outings were. Love the smooth, hypnotic slowing moving water and the beautiful and hard fighting fish in these outings. I could almost see the scenes in my mind when I fall asleep. Thanks Barns for these great outings and Richard for your mastery in creating these fantastic fish.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby richwest » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi Stanley,

About visibility, the creator of an outing has to set the visivility rate of the water when creating it.
May be one of us creators can create an outing with great visibility and a good set of species,
just to give you the excitement on seeing the fish fighting.

But it is all to the creator to decide till what depth the fish will be seen.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby Scottish Warrior » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:38 pm

Dear Fish Fighters,
I have an outing called Sw Tarpon Fishing Belize which is ready for posting and already on fileden,but Icould retrieve it and change the Visibility to the depth I have the fish situated.
The outing has TARPON 79",TUNA 79", BONEFISH 41" and SEABASS 40" and is one of the last outings I created to give our Stanley,Brian,Richard,Alvaro and Geraldo something huge to battle over,let me know and I will try to do this for you so that you can see the Tuna or Tarpon in action, if that is what you wish.
Regards and Tight Lines to All. Martin
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi Martin and Everyone:

Good to see you in the discussion! I personally think it would be very cool to have good visibility in these bone fish waters and this is REAL. I have done a bit of fishing in and around Belize and also the Cayman islands where the water is gin clear on top of, as well as under the water, and you can see for a long ways. In fact in these waters you will be casting to fish that you sight visually while standing on your boat, or fishing skiff, instead of casting to where you think they may be. I think this will work great with some waters and fish species.

We have a chance now to give this a try and will see how the other crazy fishers will respond to this. :P :P Can't wait to see this new outing. Oh my God, big fish again!!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby paul » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Hey, folks. I like the idea of keeping the visibility in the hands of the outing creator, except when using the cheater mode of course. If you want an outing to have great visibility, set the clarity much higher than the depth. Heck, set it to 100 or more. Then darken the water in the image, or at least avoid having too many highlights or bright areas reflected on the surface. Bright areas on the surface reflect glare that obscures what's under the surface, just like in real life.

Also, a visibility setting of 5 doesn't necessarily mean you'll see a fish that's 5 feet under the surface. Picture this: You're standing on the shore or in the shallows (with your eyes 5 feet over the surface) and there's a fish 10 feet forward and 5 feet below the surface. In a straight line the fish is a bit over 14 feet from your eye. Half of that, about 7 feet, is under water. So you're actually looking through 7 feet of water to see a fish that's 5 feet down. Technically it's a bit less than 7 feet due to refraction, but the point is that you're looking diagonally at the fish so you're looking through more water. The farther away a fish is the more water you look through to see it. To see a fish 40 feet away and 5 feet under the surface you're looking through about 20 feet of water. That's why both in the real life and RWFF you can see down deeper near your feet than farther away. And that's why I suggest setting the water clarity to 100 or more if you really want to maximize visibility.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to RWFF Development