Dreaded "gr" has returned!

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Dreaded "gr" has returned!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Everyone:

After upgrading to the latest version of RWFF I have encountered the dreaded "gr" error during the past week. Verification is fine and the "gr" error occurrence had no specific pattern. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? Please let me know. Thanks! :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Dreaded "gr" has returned!

Postby geraldro » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi Stanley,

From time to time I have the same problem with xp, but not with VistaImage

I already asked Paul, it does not seem to have solution there.Image

Regards Gérald
geraldro

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi Geraldro:

Good to hear from you. Sorry you have the same problem as me. :oops: I am running XP Pro and had a great setup with the older V.125. I am still waiting for the official Windows 7 release due out in September. Some of my friends have been running the Beta version and told me it is much better than Vista and worth the wait. It is very frustrating to be on a good roll in the Ruidera Expert challenges and then have the program freeze up! Another half an hour of my life wasted! :P :P Hope the RWFF program will play nice with the new operating system. Maybe Paul, or others can test it on a Windows 7 Beta? Come to think of it, I might download the new Windows 7 beta into my spare computer and if successful, I will install another copy of the RWFF into it and see if it works. :P :P

Will be interesting to see if other users have the same problem. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Barns » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Stanley

The GR problem has never went away, it always seems to be there. I have to start the game about 3 times at start up before i get to work.

I run game on vista, but after speaking to Richard i am thinking of increasing the size of memory to see if that helps any. Could be machine is reading too many things at same time. I hate vista but all new machines have it.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi Barns:

I hate Vista too. I have it on my wife's new machine and my office notebook. I use them as little as possible. :P :P I have 3 gigs of memory in my XP Pro machine which should be enough. Also large amount of page file spread over my three harddisks. That should double the minimum amount recommended by Microsoft. I don't run any other programs while playing RWFF so multi tasking interference should not be a problem either. So this "gr" problem must be a legacy problem inherited from the old codes. Maybe Paul can shed some light on this as well.

The worst moment for me came when I got to scene 4 of the Ruidera expert challenge and hooked a nice fish, guess what? The machine froze up and exited the program altogether. Maybe it is destiny. Someday, someone will get through the entire challenge and come up with some kind of score. If that ever happens, it is drinks for all time! :P :P Maybe I can tie a Martini fly and send it around. LOL :P :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby paul » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:54 am

The error can be triggered by a few things. Before the outing verification it could happen if some files were corrupt, but that cause at least should be gone. It could also be caused by other files getting corrupted, which could include sound files, etc. Another possibility is other processing taking resources from the game or preventing access to files. That could include antivirus software, etc., and I've even seen an internet service's program that kept grabbing part of the screen and it would cause any DirectX program to crash, but that was solved long ago. I assume you've got all other processes shut down. I've also seen crashes like this caused by bad video card drivers, corrupt DirectX installations, etc. Lastly, there could still be some cases where the math going on under the hood breaks down, but that would almost have to be triggered by some specific scenario. If the error happens while starting up the game or if it happens at all frequently, it's probably a corrupt file, competiting program, bad driver or DirectX, etc. Reinstalling the game, drivers and DirectX is usually the solution. If it happens less often and less consistently it could be harder to pin down.

Can you identify any pattern at all to the crashes? Is it ever while casting? Always while fighting a fish? Always on outings with a particular species? Does it happen at all on the original outings, or only on custom ones? Very little changed in this build that could cause any new crashes.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 am

Hi Paul:

The crashes do not come very often, but unfortunately, it usually comes at pretty crucial times. :P :P e.g. Hooking into a big fish in the Expert Challenge. It is pretty random and has no specific pattern to it. I have a feeling that most of the crashes come when the line is nearing the edge of the screen. Like casting way off to the left or right. Or when the line is near the bottom of the screen. I will go and recheck and reinstall everything just to see if this makes any difference. Thanks for coming to our help. :P :P

I use mostly custom flies tied by myself and others.

Still having trouble landing the big fish on 3x leader. The fish would just take off, go to the end of the drag, and then sits on the bottom of the river or lake and refuses to budge. Is this a sign that the big fish is too strong for the tackle and leader? Any solution for that? I was fishing the Ruidera Pond, scene one with a 9 1/2 rod, 9 wt line and 3x leader. I know there are no fish in there over 60 inches. :P :P

Before I did catch a big brown trout on 8x leader in another outing. Took nearly 3/4 of an hour to do it. The small leader challenge was put on by my good friend, uncle Barnsie! LOL

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Tech Support