OK you young folks, What's the secret to...

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

OK you young folks, What's the secret to...

Postby Cutch » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:02 pm

landing these big fish on light # 8 leaders. This 70 year old fart hasn't figured it out. :oops:

I've landed a couple 17" Browns but I've lost EVERY BIG ONE :!: (No problem getting strikes, I get losts of them)
When I set the hook, the rish runs and snaps the leader,...when I try to work the rod up and down, a large fish breaks the leader. :shock:
What am I doing wrong? (I set the drag all the way to the top)

I've landed plenty of large trout and Steelhead in real life,... in the past. I thought I knew what I'm doing....WRONG :!:

I'm using an 8' 6" rod, 4 weight, with a #8 leader like you folks are using in the current challenge. Any suggestions would be appreciated,...thank you.

Cutch
Cutch

Postby Sean82 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:49 pm

Hey Cutch

I think putting the drag all the way up is probably part of the problem. I actually put it down a notch on the light tippet because you need that security for when a big fish runs. Otherwise you will get snapped off every time. As for tackle, I fish the longest rod possible and a 3 weight line. That seems to be the most forgiving set up. The long, light rod means you can absorb the run of a big fish without getting broken. I started on heavier tackle but found I was getting broken often as it's very easy to jerk the rod at the wrong time.

Other than that just hook up, hang on and be prepared to wait 10-20 minutes for the fish to tire. Also be prepared to lose the vast majority of fish. I've been landing about 1 in every 5 fishing the 8x tippet on expert.

Tight lines :D

Sean
Sean82

Postby Cutch » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:17 pm

Thanks Sean,...that helps a lot. :wink:

Here's a video I made of just a FEW monster fish breaking my line. :oops: They always break it either when I set the hook, or the first run. GRRRR!! :wink:

Click the link below:
MONSER FISH BREAKING MY LEADER
Cutch

Postby Sean82 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Yeah a long, light rod with the drag knocked down a notch or two should minimise break-offs at strike. On that first run, I usually just hold the rod up and let the fish do it's thing rather than pumping the rod or trying to fight it.

You might not think it, but I noticed from your video that you are holding the rod very low to the water. If you turn on the 'casting side view', you can get a much better idea of how high you are holding your rod when fighting a fish. As of course you will know from real life, holding the rod up high allows it to flex and absorb the force of the fish leading to less break-offs.

Good luck :D

Sean
Sean82

Postby Cutch » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm

Thanks for the tip Sean. I'm embarrassed to admit what cause the major problem of fish breaking off. I thought raising the drag bar was lessening the drag. :oops: Actually, I was setting the drag on full. :oops: I'll use the side cast view as you suggested.
Don't get old and absent minded.

Cutch

Postby kerrye » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:01 am

Cutch, Sean is right on with the 3 wt recommendation too. I used to try to use 5 or 6 wt rods where I knew I was likely to hook up on a "big 'un" and invariably, I got broke off. Going to the 3 wt helped a lot and I should have known it from the start. I fish a 2 or 3 wt rod at least 60% of the time on the streams and lakes here in southern Colorado. :D
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Postby Cutch » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:48 pm

Ok, I've got it,.....thanks for the help :!: :wink:
Cutch

Return to Real World Fly Fishing