Update ready for beta testing

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Update ready for beta testing

Postby paul » Mon May 18, 2009 8:15 pm

You can download the update with this link:

http://www.pishtech.com/VRS_Update_090518_Beta.zip

I've still got to upload the video tutorials for creating new lakes, but there's a text document in the zip file that contains a brief introduction to how to do it.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the download or the update.

Again, this update adds 2 new lakes, muskies, lake and rainbow trout, live bait, better fish animation and AI, a better windshield on the fish & ski boat, an opportunity to bribe the guide with half your money (if you have at least a million dollars) for the location of the biggest fish in the lake, some assorted bug fixes, etc.

The new lakes and species are only accessible in the full version of the game.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Update ready for beta testing

Postby geraldro » Mon May 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi Paul,

thank you for this update, I install and tests it immediately. :D

Regards Gérald
geraldro

Postby AzDesertRat » Mon May 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Woohoo, been delaying my lunch hour at work so I can take my laptop with me to check out the new update :) .

Thanks Paul!
AzDesertRat

Postby geraldro » Mon May 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Paul,

I cannot open the game, after having chosen the fisherman, the game crash

AppName: pvrs.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: pvrs.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0004b9cf

The "error file":

Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav
Can't find file:
music.wav

Regards Gérald
geraldro

Postby paul » Mon May 18, 2009 9:00 pm

The update needs to be unzipped in the same folder as you already have the game installed. The zip file contains only the new and changed files, not the complete installation. Unzip in your game folder and it should work.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby geraldro » Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Paul,

I found, it is necessary to set out again with 50$, " reset" old fisherman, and all functions

Thanks

Regards Gérald
geraldro

Postby bones » Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 pm

paul wrote:You can download the update with this link:

http://www.pishtech.com/VRS_Update_090518_Beta.zip

I've still got to upload the video tutorials for creating new lakes, but there's a text document in the zip file that contains a brief introduction to how to do it.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the download or the update.

Again, this update adds 2 new lakes, muskies, lake and rainbow trout, live bait, better fish animation and AI, a better windshield on the fish & ski boat, an opportunity to bribe the guide with half your money (if you have at least a million dollars) for the location of the biggest fish in the lake, some assorted bug fixes, etc.

The new lakes and species are only accessible in the full version of the game.

Tight lines,

great job now downloading :-)

Paul
Its better to have hooked a fish and lost it.Than to have never hooked a fish at all :p
bones

Postby paul » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 pm

That's correct - I mentioned that in the other thread, but I forgot to mention that in this one: Reset your users before starting the game with the update for the first time. So many things in the game have changed that older saved games are not likely to work correctly with this update.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby AzDesertRat » Mon May 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Been reading thru the "vrs_lake_creation.txt" during lunch and noticed one minor bug. Under the Lake Definition Files section it states "In the game folder you'll find a file called "lake_def_master.txt" but this file does not exist. However, you can copy and paste the "pjh_deer_lake.lak" file and rename it with .txt extension. This one includes the line comments to help understand parameters.
AzDesertRat

Postby paul » Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for pointing that out - must have left it out of the zip file somehow. You can get the master file here:

http://www.pishtech.com/lake_def_master.txt

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby paul » Mon May 18, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm also uploading the update again right now, so if you get an error downloading it in the next few minutes just try again. The zip file now contains the master lake definition file.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby tom1234505 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:39 am

Hi Paul, I downloaded it, put the whole update folder into the vr sportsfishing folder, extracted all files, and its like I haven't even downloaded it. it does nothing. if there is something im doing wrong please tell me! thanks Paul,
Tom
tom1234505

Postby wolf » Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 am

tryed the lake maker named it and added a heightfeild be when i try to select it in the lakes munu the game crashes tryed a few different things dont know any ideas
wolf

Postby paul » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 pm

The first thing to check is your file names. Maker sure that the heightfield file name in the lake definition file (lake_name.lak) is correct. Also make sure that your heightfield is a 1024x1024 grayscale bitmap.

During the beta testing period I'm going to add some more safety checking, so in most cases the game will be able to tell you what went wrong loading a lake. There will always be the possibility of corrupt data causing a crash, though.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby AzDesertRat » Tue May 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Hey Paul,

Had a blast working on a test lake last night. The video tutorials were very helpful and should get most users on the right track if they take the time to view them before diving straight in.

I do have one question regarding distant scenery and/or skyboxes. Is the game engine using a combination of traditional skyboxes with procedurally generated clouds? I didn't see any way to define and use custom background scenery files or panoramas which would be a nice feature to add at some point in the future if possible. I have a nice collection of seamless 360 degree panoramas, most with the sky area masked out using an alpha channel (.tga format), and also a few dozen skycubes in common 6 piece segments.

The other thought I came away with last night was how nice it would be to have a separate editor utility where you could add each component of your lake map in a simple 2D topdown view or better yet in a 3D environment. The main advantage would be to allow the user to precisely place vegetation and structures manually. So for example, if you wanted to have a bridge or dam at one end of your lake you could create the 3D model in Blender and add it on the map plot from a folder group of selectable objects. This would obviously require height and rotational options for placed objects. This would also be great for adding stumps, structures and underwater brush to specific areas of the lake. The save option would then output the .lak definition and .dat files needed by the game.

I know the above mentioned idea might be a long shot but perhaps down the road at some time if the game takes off you could add something like this a Pro editor add-on :D .
AzDesertRat

Next

Return to VR Sportfishing