Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

updates

Postby gd145 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 pm

any news on updates or new releases we are anxious
gd145

Re: updates

Postby paul » Sun May 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Yes, I've got some progress to report. I've been working on this update quite a bit. As of right now support for custom lakes is 90% functional. I've got a few more adjustments to make, but overall it's coming along very well. I've also been working on some video tutorials to show how to create lakes. One is a basic lesson, covering the process of making a simple lake very quickly, and the other is a more advanced lesson on creating more realistic lakes. In the process of creating the tutorial I'll have at least 2 new lakes to add to the game too.

Briefly, here's what it will take to create a lake: You need to create a heightfield image, which is a grayscale map with white at the highest points and black at the lowest. You can draw it freehand in an image editor, or use a program like L3DT to create it automatically. You'll need to edit a configuration file by filling out parameters like the name of the lake, where it's located, the names of your files (like you heightfield image), how much of each kind of vegetation to include, how many fish of each species and what size, etc.. You also create an overall texture for the landscape, and separate texture maps that show where to use textures for the details, like grass, stones, sand, etc. The tutorials will walk you through every step. If you have a good image editing program and you're experienced with it you can create a new high-quality lake in a few hours.

Also the game will support even larger lakes now. The lake I created for the advanced tutorial covers about 4 times the area of the original lakes. It's a very mountainous area with snow-capped peaks, some really deep water and some smaller attached lakes.

Before I release this update I want to get in a few other high-priority enhancements. I want to add at least a couple species of trout and possibly some catfish and/or muskies. The lake I mentioned really needs lake trout, and probably rainbow trout. This update will definitely including anchoring, at least some live bait (though maybe with fairly limited rigging options at first), possibly lateral rod movement and trolling, and possibly more variety of vegetation for the landscape, like some pine trees or cacti.

People have also asked for cheat codes, and for something to spend their accumulated millions of dollars on. I'm thinking of combining those. What would you think about the opportunity to buy certain information on the lake? Rather than just getting a map of good places to fish from the guide, suppose the guide could tell you approximately where (say to within a few feet) the biggest bass or other fish in the lake is at a given moment? That information would be extremely expensive, perhaps a million dollars or more. It would be fun to go after the biggest fish around, and a fun reward if you've collected a ton of money.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby pat10 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm

sounds awesome. hoping the muskies make the update! Would be fun chasing something that can push 50"
pat10

Postby tom1234505 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:16 pm

do you know how long it will take roughly? I am really excited for the update because i really want to catch trout. a big ol' muskie would be great too. hope they get in the update,
Tom
tom1234505

Postby Fisherman » Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 pm

This sounds great, Paul. Trout should be fun, and a lot of us really want the lake editor. Now, and this might be a bit "out there", all that money sounds like a real problem for some folks. How about this for a future update? Since there are really only so many boats and rods and reels you can own, what about a series of cabins on select spots on the lakes? Launch your own boat from your own dock. Fish from a private island. From a simple one room log cabin to a more complex luxury multi-story living space, that should give folk enough to spend all those millions on. Start at say, $100,000.00. Then $250,000.00 on up. Private trophy displays and luxury items. A bit Sim-like maybe, but what else is the next logical progression to spend so much money on?
Also, as one lake I wish to create is in the coastal mountains of Ca., could you add Redwood trees? Pines would do for now. Thanks and really looking forward to the update.
Fisherman

Postby paul » Mon May 04, 2009 12:42 am

Right now my best guess for the release of the update is about 2 weeks, for a beta version of it anyway. Much of the logic for additional species is already in there (since Fishlogix drives the fish behavior and it handles quite a few species.) Included in the custom lake support will be more direct control over the trees. If I add pines, you'll be able to make them any size, including redwoods, and replace the images too if you like.

I do like the private fishing lodge idea. I had something similar in mind for a different fishing game I hope to someday create, but that game is a huge project, in some ways dramatically different from other fishing games so I don't want to say too much about it. But to be able to put anything from a simple cabin to a big luxury home on the lake shore would be a neat touch. I'll give that some thought, but I don't think it would make it in this update.

On a related topic I've thought about putting some homes and other buildings on the landscape. That would make the lakes more like most of the ones we fish in real life, but the near-wilderness feeling of a lake with no development except for the baitshop is somewhat appealing too. What do you all think? Add some more evidence of humanity, or keep the remote feel?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby pat10 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:01 am

Id like to definitely see some houses on a lake ideally with lots of docks to go along with them as well. Would be kind of cool if the bass used the docks as cover. I frequently cast long lines of docks that always seem to have some fish under them. How about some standing timber as well? Those always make great bass cover.
pat10

Postby gd145 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey paul all sound great and I know good things take time,and I know that you are doing the best to make all happy. it may sound silly but can you add raingear to the baitshop I am starting to feel sorry for my fishing people
GD
gd145

Postby gd145 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm

any recomendations for image editor
gd145

Postby AzDesertRat » Mon May 04, 2009 10:16 pm

That's great news Paul! I can't wait to work with the lake editor which I think is going to really help this community take off. Muskies are a real treat, grew up spending summers on Lake Wallenpaupack in Pennsylvania trying to catch this ever elusive fish. Lot's of pickerel and Northern Pike but Muskies are VERY tough to entice.

I'd highly recommend Adobe Photoshop for graphics work. However, if you can't afford this software there are a couple high quality alternatives which are completely FREE. Both have most of the tools found in Photoshop and even offer plugin support.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
http://www.gimp.org/

Paint.net
http://www.getpaint.net/
AzDesertRat

Postby paul » Mon May 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Sounds like good suggestions for image editors. I use Micrografx Picture Publisher, which has similar functionality, but the company isn't around anymore. You can often find it really cheap on eBay, though.

Muskies will make the list. =)

Oh, and I love the rain gear idea. Might not make it into this one (lots of modeling work to fit a raincoat to every character) but we'll see.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby wolf » Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 am

updates sound great carnt wait thanks for the great sim oh what happen to the wadding idea or walking the shore
wolf

Postby paul » Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm

I think enough people would enjoy the wading/hiking option to make it worth doing, so I plan to add that at some point. That one's going to take longer, though, so it won't make it into this update.

Here's a sneak peak at a new lake. It's hundreds of feet deep in places, but there's miles of shoreline to fish too. The map is 4 times the size of the original lakes, and i's populated with some nice sized rainbow trout:

I'm working to improve the way fish turn right now. They'll now flex appropriately, depending on how far they plan to turn, and I've eliminated an issue that occasionally made fish turn excessively. A few more tweaks on the rainbows and then it's on to other trout, and then the muskies.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby pat10 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:15 pm

With the new species of fish being added, will there be some new lures put in as well? A couple of muskie lures would be great. That way when I am casting for them with heavy tackle, hopefully I can throw something that wont keep getting smashed by those pesky bass! Thats the trouble in the pike tourneys, I end up catching lots of huge bass instead of pike. Where are those fish during the dang bass tourneys?
pat10

Postby paul » Wed May 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes, I'll have to add some muskie lures. For starters I'll probably just make some really large sized versions of some of the existing lures (bucktail spinners, crankbaits, surface lures, etc.) In a future update I'll add some specialized muskie lures. It also begs for night fishing, doesn't it? =)

Meanwhile here are a couple more screen shots showing the new rainbow and lake trout:

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Next

Return to VR Sportfishing