Flytying Question?

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Flytying Question?

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi Paul and other helpful technicians:

I have a question for you on flytying in the RWFF program. Once I finished tying a new fly and saved it to various topics, like Minnow, Sculpin, etc, the flytying program would slow down visibly and would not allow me to edit the parts of the fly anymore, like changing color, even removing an existing component. It is still possible to add new items and edit them, but not working with the old items already there. I was wondering why this happens and if there is a work around for this.?? Also would it be possible to work on an "old fly" that is already in my fly folder? e.g. Bring the old fly up again in the flytying program and continue to modify or work on that fly??

Your help and comments on this will be greatly appreciated! :D :D

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Flytying Question?

Postby paul » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Stanley,

That sounds like a possible bug slowing things down after you save a fly. Right now there's no way to bring a completed fly back onto the vice. When you save a fly and add it to your fly box the program generates the images of the fly and the definition file that tells the game how the fly behaves. To make a fly editable I'd have to save a lot more information with each new fly - the position, size, taper, tint, etc. of each component. It's doable, though. Then I'd have to come up with an interface to select a fly to bring it back to the vice. I'll have to give it some thought and see what I can do.

Paul

PS - My sincerest condolences on the loss of your father-in-law.
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:30 am

Hi Paul:

Thanks for the kind words and thought. It was kind of sad around the household for a few days, but one has to accept reality....that is part of life, I guess.

On the flytying problem, I noticed as long as I saved a fly with the same name (e.g. not changing it to another name or word sequence) and saved them to different categories, like minnow, attractor wet, sculpin, etc, the program would act ok and not slow down and would allow me to continue to modify the fly.However, once I changed the name of the fly and then saved it, the program would slow measureably and would not allow me to edit the fly again. The ability to edit the fly would be a very convenient feature as sometimes I would like to change the color of the fly, keep the same body but add, or subtract different wing or tail components. Maybe resolving this "not able to modify" bug would be the simple thing to do, instead of creating addition interface and other software addons. It would be great if you could look into this and include a bug fix in the next program update.

We are catching a lot of nice fish and having a lot of fun competing against each other. Glad SW has come back and is creating his interesting outings again. I will have to try Pitti's chat feature, I think this will add even more interest and enthusiasm to the game. Thanks for your technical info and help! :P :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Barns » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:13 am

Paul

I am having similar problems as Stanley, regarding tying flies. When i start choosing the items i want to tie in, it is not allowing me to go to previous view or next view. It worked fine before all the updates. Could there be a bug in the tying folder.

Thanks for your help

Barns
Barns

Postby paul » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:17 am

The recent updates shouldn't have effected the fly tying, but you never know. I'll do some testing and see if I can reproduce the problem here.

Tight threads and bushy hackles,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Barns » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Paul

I have sorted my problem now with the buttons, i discovered a duplicate folder, of which i cannot remember name but it showed the vice, i think it was desk. One of the folders said testing. I removed this and it is now working fine again.

Thanks

Barns
Barns

Return to Tech Support