New person with trouble adding outings - Help Please

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

New person with trouble adding outings - Help Please

Postby Helene » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:21 am

Hello every one,
First I want to mention briefly how much my husband and I have appreciated all the hours spent on developing and creating all the great outings and other add on to this game. We both like to go fishing when we can but over the last year my husband has been ill, and we have spent a lot of hours escaping from reality into this fly fishing haven - enjoying the scenery and the fish and all... well you obviously know what I mean. So a big thank you to all.

I apologize ahead of time for the long posting

I know it's the same question, but I can't get any of the outing downloads like Cuba or Florida Keys to work - I searched the forum and tried everything for the last week, so I finally give up and just have to ask.
I'm not that sharp with computer but I have never been this bad - So please don't laugh too hard

I'm running Vista on my laptop and I purchased the RWFF Third Edition CD. When I try to play the add on outings (Cuba for example) I get a "supporting files have been corrupted... reinstall simulator"
I uninstalled and cleaned up all the files - several times
I reinstalled Pishtech and the most recent online update (V122). I see it at the bottom of the screen so it must be ok - I used to have V120, but I don't see that available anymore.

I download all the zip files (Fish Species 1 to 5, Flies, Sounds, Foods, Outings) from the library to a separate folder
I then extract all the files directly into the appropriate respective folders - I'm not sure sometimes what to do when asked to merge or copy or keep both files.
Do I need to split up the files in the outing folder or something?
I tried so many thing so many times now I'm really confused. Would someone be kind enough to give me a step by step?
Thank you so much
Helene
Helene

Re: New person with trouble adding outings - Help Please

Postby geraldro » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:08 am

Hi Helene,

Image Image

After extract all the files, of update 122, directly into the appropriate respective folders -Image Have you clicked on the "rwff_update" button in RWFF folder ?

If yes, install the 125 update, this version scan your RWFF folder and say you what is wrong in "content_errors.txt" in rwff folder. Copy and paste in the forum

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=994

And you go to see, this game is extraordinary, Image it is the best simulator of fly fishing of every time, one thank you to PaulImage

Regards Gérald
geraldro

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Helene:

Welcome to the RWFF forum. :D I had a similar problem a while back with the Florida outing addon. Please see my thread "Florida outing does not work" in this forum. RWFF is a great program but does require a bit of tweaking to get it to work properly. I went throught the install and uninstall routine as you did. Turned out that it was not necessary. As I see it there are two basic problems with the RWFF program. The first one being some versions did not work well on some computers and addon outings. This has been resolved ably by Paul, the program developer. The latest V.125 beta seems to have resolved a lot of earlier problems and it runs flawlessly on my computer. I recommend that you update to this version right away. Don't forget to execute the "rwff_update.exe" AFTER you have unzipped all the new V.125 files into the RWFF folder. Your version will be upgraded to V.125 beta and this version number will show up on the bottom right of your screen.

The other problem has to do with missing food, music, fish and other needed files as new addons are developed. When one of these is missing you will get the "supporting files have been corrupted... reinstall simulator" message. Then panic sets in. :D :D Again refer to my earlier thread to trouble shoot your own system. In my case I think it was missing fish files required by this outing. Richard sent me the needed files and everything was well.

We are lucky to have people like Geraldro, Richard and Paul to help us with our problems. :D My big thanks to them!! I am sure they will hop on to your problem right away an will offer their always knowledgeable help. You will be catching some very large fish in the Florida outing very soon. :D I posted some flies in the forum to share with other members. They seem to work with the larger fish so give them a try. Good luck fishing. :D

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby richwest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Hello and welcome to our forum Helene,

Have you been able to play any custom outings before switching to V122?
If so, you should also be able to fish the newer outings.

If not, try to install RWFF to another location, like C:\Games\Real World Fly Fishing\
so not to the location which is used by automatic install. I had the problem when I started using Vista, The program did great except when adding custom outings.
The location used by automatic install is extra protected for changes by Vista and it won't accept changes made.

It is best to install update V125, updates between V120 and V125 are not stable.

After installing V125 run the program and let finish verify, if it shows any errors at the end, please send me a copy of your content_errors.txt file by email
richwest@casema.nl
I will have a look at it then to see what could be wrong.

Regards Richard
RWFF Clubhouse Manager
richwest

Postby Helene » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi, Tks so much for all your responses and the warm welcome

I installed V125 and I'm not getting the "corrupt file" anymore, but I have a big problem with the game responding at times, and I can't even shut it down with Task Manager - I have to shut down manually! I got a response from V125 verifying files after a few tries and there is a whole page of problems - A lot of them have to do with food and, others with custom outing I had downloaded before and have not reinstalled (and yes they were working with V120 but "corrupt files" only with the newer ones). Looks like I made a total mess of it.
So I will first go ahead and reinstall every thing in a different folder as Richard suggested.
I install V120 and then V125 right? Also before I do, I want to make sure I'm not messing everything up - Do I merge the conflict files or keep both or what?
Tks for your help. I wish I wasn't so stubborn and asked before. It will probably take me a while.
Helene
Helene

Postby richwest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Helene,

Copy and replace all conflicts, so you got all latest versions of the files.
Last night I updated quite a lot of files on the Clubhouse, so if you downloaded files before then, please redownload the food, sounds and species.
Flies you do not have to redownload, for they are not checked.

Please send me the content errors.txt file so I can do some investigations.

I hope my tips will work out well for you. If not, please come back to me and I will create some kind of manual for you to get things right step-by-step

Regards Richard
RWFF Clubhouse Manager
richwest

Postby Helene » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi again,

I am very happy to report that, with your help and support, I was successful in installing several outings, and it all seems to be working great! I also installed everything on our desk top, so my husband and I don't have to fight for the computer. I didn't get any errors showing at all. I'm so excited! I'm unstoppable now!
Maybe one day I'll be good enough to enter a contest and participate in some way. Is there any way to know what the biggest fish would be in a particular outing? Not that I'm always looking for them - I love the little guys just as much.
Oh, and I can spend some time tying some flies too - but I have so many of them already included. What more could I possibly want?! This game is the best - I love it!

Thanks very much for your responses
Helene :D
Helene

Postby richwest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Helene,

I'm glad we could participate to your happiness.

We do not keep records for outings, could be a future topic at the Clubhouse, I will think it over, and maybe....

We keep trophy records on species though, with a little practice you could participate to that.

I've put up a poll on the interrest for a big competition a few weeks ago, with some, I think nice, championships.
I Only had 2 positive reactions on that.

There will be a contest planned end of the summer, initiated by as we call it "the old boys" some guys, including me, who did a lot in the past.
Somewhere around end of 2007 beginning 2008. You will be hearing more when it gets more concrete.

I you got ideas about contests, you're welcome to share.

Enjoy fishing!!!

Regards Richard
richwest

Return to Tech Support