Demo no worky

Discusion of Pishtech's game VR Sportfishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Demo no worky

Postby FR0G » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 pm

I woke up this morning ready to try out VR Sportfishing. Installed the demo, updated my Direct X, click on the VR Sportfishing button. Its loeading, and blam, pvrx.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I see that others are having this problem as well. When I click to get more information on the error it tells me tv3d65.dll is causing the problem. Help!!!!
FR0G

Re: Demo no worky

Postby paul » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Yes, it's working for some people and others are seeing this problem. Please try this: If you go to the folder where the game is installed and double-click on pvrs.exe, does it run any differently? I'm wondering if the problem might be with the shortcuts created by the installer.

I've also just uploaded the game to an alternate site, in case the problem is coming from corruption or congestion on the web server. The alternate download site is:

http://www.pishtech.com/vrsportfishing_installer.exe

It's the same installer for both the demo version and the full version (you just need a serial number to register and activate the full version.)

Please let me know if you have any success either running the program directly or with the alternate download location.

Thanks,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby FR0G » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:54 am

Thanks for the help, but the update didn't work. I will try downloading from the other site in a few. I will let you know how it goes.
FR0G

Postby FR0G » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:18 am

Tried both, neither worked. Ahh....
FR0G

Postby paul » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:26 am

If you're interested in technical details, read on. If you're having problems running VR Sportfishing and just want to know what to do about it, just jump to the bottom 2 lines of this post.

So far everything I'm seeing points to one probably cause, but I'll confirm this as soon as I get a list of dxd9 dll files from someone else who's having the problem. Here's the issue, which may be what's giving you trouble:

The game uses the very latest TrueVision DLL, which relies on a very current DirectX version. If you checked your DirectX version and found out you have 9.0c, and specifically version 4.09.0000.0904, and went to Microsoft and checked to see what the current version is, you'd see it's the same version you already have. If you're like me you'd naturally conclude that you've got the current version of DirectX. The trouble is Microsoft has been releasing a new build of DirectX 9.0c, always shown as version 4.09.0000.0904, every 2 months for more than four years. I'd love to know the reasoning behind having the same 11 digit subversion for the same 3 letter version of DirectX for 4 years and over 50 updates. If that seems confusing to you I don't blame you a bit. I'm baffled by it.

The numbered DLLs in the system32 folder are the collection of bi-monthly builds of that same version. I can tell you that if you don't have at least d3dx9_31.dll through d3dx9_36.dll, VR Sportfishing won't run. If you're having trouble running the game please use the link below to install the November 2008 update of DirectX 9.0c, which should include all the DLLs that matter. If that doesn't solve it for you let me know and I'll keep looking for other possible issues.

Use this link to update your DirectX version:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby FR0G » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Hmm, i got it to work on my laptop that has windows vista and directx 10, but still doesn't work on my desktop that has windows xp and the latest of directx 9
FR0G

Postby paul » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks for the update. Did you download it once and copy it to the other computer, or download separately? I'd like to be able to rule out (or in) files getting corrupted during the download.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby FR0G » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:32 am

I downloaded it on the laptop from your site. No file transfering.
FR0G

Postby paul » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:29 am

Thanks for the report, Frog. That's interesting. It's possible that the file simply got corrupted during the download to the other computer. Can you test that? If you can make a copy of the game folder from the laptop and try it on the other computer, that could confirm whether or not file corruption is the issue. If the copy from the laptop works on the other one, it's corrupt files. If it doesn't, it's not... And if that's causing the problems there are a couple of things I can do about it.
paul
Site Admin

Postby wuppereumel » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi all,

I updated directx and the demo works fine under my xphome system.

Greets
Günter
wuppereumel

Return to VR Sportfishing