New Outing Amsterdam Bay, Anderson Island, Washington

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

New Outing Amsterdam Bay, Anderson Island, Washington

Postby dcarp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 am

Hi folks,

I had a little time this weekend and worked up an outing from a trip I took with the family last month. The location is Amsterdam Bay on Anderson Island in the Puget Sound of Washington State. We spent a week there and had a great time. I wrote a summary of the trip in my Blog if you're interested in hearing about it.

The outing includes 10 sites in the bay, the channel and outer bar area. Current flow is fairly easy, most shots were taken at either slack or ebb tide. The waters contain Sea Run Cutthroat trout and juvinile Chinnok Salmon. Both species are very aggressive and will take shrimp, herring, leaches, eggs and other sub-surface flies. This is the birth place of many of Al Knudson's flies (see Clubhouse Library "Art of Flytying" book). I will work on an area favorite and post it later - an adaptation of Al Knudson's "Spider" fly called the "Reverse Spider". The collar of the fly is tied in reverse - feather tips pointing forward and over the eye of the hook. Looks kinda goofy, but in the water, you understand it. It's meant to be "stripped" in quick bursts which makes the collar hackles flow back over the body of the fly. Looks like a small squid swimming.

Amsterdam Bay Self Extracting Installer File

Enjoy!

DCarp (Dave)
dcarp

Re: New Outing Amsterdam Bay, Anderson Island, Washington

Postby dcarp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Hello,

As promised, I've tied up some Reverse Spiders for addition to the game. There is one in Black, Red and Yellow. Like I mentioned, they are a very simple fly to tie. A teal or mallard flank tail, tapered chenille body with a collar of teal or mallard flank - but the flank feather collar is tied on backwards with tips pointing forward and covering the hook eye. It's usually tied on sizes 6-10 and used in both saltwater (in the Sound) and fresh water streams that flow into the Puget Sound. It is fished by stripping in quick, short bursts. This causes the flank feathers to fold back over the body of the fly on the strip, then spring back over the hook eye when stopped. To me, it looks like a swimming squid in the water.

It's basically an "Al's Spider" made famous in the Pacific Northwest by Al Knudson, a longtime Steelhead, Salmon and Sea Run Cutthroat fisherman and Fly Tying innovator. An image of the original fly is on the logo of the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club in Everett, Washington.

Click here to download and install the flies (self extracting installer)
dcarp

Postby richwest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Dave,

You bring me a lot of work, updating all books!

But no offence there!

Nice pictures an great addition to the flycatalogue.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby geraldro » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Dave ,

Thank you for this new outing and the flies, beautiful work. :D

Regards, Gérald
geraldro

Postby Boston Bob » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:15 am

Dave: Thanks for your Anderson Bay Outing, very nicely done.
Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Postby Cutch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:05 am

Thanks, Dave,...great job on the new Outing and flies :!:
Cutch

Return to RWFF Development