my two cents...

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

my two cents...

Postby KT » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 am

Idea one...I noticed in the cheat modes that the fish seem to be a bit too concentrated in one area...usually an obvious area. It would be nice to have some fish to cast to, say, on an edge, or separated farther up than the fish seem to hold. In other words...make it possible to complicate casting for us in areas.

Idea two...any possibility to move around as we cast, or as we fight fish? Perhaps by using the directions arrows? I'm sure that this would be complicated...it would involve a scrolling background, not exposing all of it in the initial scene background. Just a thought, for some night when you can't sleep...hahaha!
KT

Postby paul » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:34 am

KT,

The fish concentration in different sites depends on the structure of the bottom and current, and the attitude of the fish. There's also a random element to it, so if you leave a site and return you'll find they're not always in exactly the same spot. I'm still tweaking their AI, though. Maybe in the next update I'll give a portion of the fish a higher chance of picking a less obvious spot.

As for moving while fishing, that's not something we can add without rewriting the whole game. If the scenery were entirely drawn by a 3D engine that would give freedom of movement, but at the cost of realism. 3D engines are getting better all the time, but if you really want a nature scene to look as realistic as posible, that requires photography. So RWFF uses a mix - photographic animation frames for the scenery, and 3D modeling for the fish and other elements.

Scrolling photographic scenes can work to at least allow a person to pivot some. A game I wrote for Oquirrh Productions back in 1999 called Fly Logic Flyfishing the Green River used that technique, but the image resolution and color wasn't nearly as good as it is in RWFF. High-res scrolling is a possible feature for a future version.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby 97trout » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:34 pm

I noticed in the steelhead river the only hatch is mayfly nymphs. Does this ever change or did I just happen to catch it that way?
97trout

Postby kerrye » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:10 am

Very observent 97trout. I think Paul just got lazy on us but I have experimented with other flys (wooly-buggers work) on the Polis. And maybe we will have some other hatches there as time goes on.
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Postby paul » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:29 pm

The Polis River outing represents a single day in the spring when I visited the river. At the time there was no visible hatching, and I couldn't find anything but mayfly nymphs present. I set up the outing to duplicate those conditions. Yet I'd read that streamers, assorted wet flies and attractor nymphs all worked quite well on the steelhead there, so I gave those some value to the steelhead in the outing too. Egg patterns should also work great at times, but there aren't any available in the game yet, and they didn't get any action for me that day. The one steelhead I caught myself the day I photographed the outing took a zug bug nymph.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby RichS » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Being able to move would be nice, but I prefer the realistic look of the game. I have the Flylogic Flyfishing the Green River game Paul was talking about and I became bored with it and found this game while trying to find something more realistic. This game is 100 times better and I've been recommending it to other fisherman I know, so keep up the good work Paul!
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he'll be gone all weekend!
RichS

Return to Real World Fly Fishing