Error on Vista - gr has stopped working

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Error on Vista - gr has stopped working

Postby ssupson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 am

I am occasionally getting an error on my Vista system on RWFF launch: gr has stopped working. I then cannot play until I reinstall the application. I haven't seen the error previously with any other application so I assume it is specific to RWFF. I run RWFF as an administrator in the Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode. Please adivse. Thank you!
ssupson

Re: Error on Vista - gr has stopped working

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:44 pm

Hey, I am having the same problem, i dont know whats causing it, have seen some say various things about it, but have tried it all and nothing is making any difference. I originally installed this on my vista cpu and i was getting the error usually after a few minutes of fishing any of the venues added on, not with the original venues though, so i installed it on my XP cpu and it does it everytime i go to a new venue, all the original venues run perfectly.. so dont have a cure, but would also like to get this running properly too.

Any help welcome
Phoenix Thorn
Phoenix Thorn

Postby richwest » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:34 pm

If you install the programm on a vista machine, yu should create an other path, differend from the pre made path that is suggested.

I created the pathC:\Richard|Pishtech and installed it there., now it works well.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:50 am

I did that automatically, installed to C:\Users\Wayne\Desktop\RWFF ... did the same on the XP comp too so i got it all right in front of me. its not overly bad on Vista, its the XP cpu that really wont work at all, its as soon as i load up a venue created by some1 else (not pointing the finger 8) )
Phoenix Thorn

Postby richwest » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:18 am

Phoenix,

Do you olso have update 120 installed, else some custom outings are not accepted

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby Pitti » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Phoenix,

when do you get the error? While fishing a custom outing or after a caught from them? While starting a outing?

Perhaps RWFF miss files? Do you have installed all species correct?

Peter
Pitti

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Yea i've updated to 120, and i was originally crashing when i caught fish til i realised i didnt have all the fish files, but i have them now and that doesnt happen, it happens when i go to a venue, it is either instant, as it is trying to load the venue, or the furthest ive got on the XP cpu is selecting a fly and when i go to cast, my rod doesnt move, theres a 4 - 5 second lag then the report error screen comes up saying gr has stopped working. with the vista cpu i have gotten through the 5 site challenges, but i cannot last long enough to complete anything like a 10+ site challenge.
Phoenix Thorn

Postby Pitti » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:59 am

Do you use the latest graphic-driver?

Perhaps Paul has an idea?

Btw: what means "gr"?

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:58 am

Graphics drivers are all up to date.
All i can say is, my shortcut for the game, when u look at it sais RWFly Fishing, but when you look at the properties for the shortcut (General tab) it sais:

Type of file: Application (.exe)
Description: gr
Phoenix Thorn

Postby Pitti » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:15 pm

Aah :idea: It could means "Green River"...
Pitti

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:19 pm

i dunno, read a post about green river but never had it on my system, ive tried reinstalling and its still happening. its starting to bug me now, its been nealry a week and i cant figure it out :?
Phoenix Thorn

Postby paul » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 am

Yes, "gr" is a residual from the old Green River game. RWFF was built by taking GR and rewriting everything that needed updating at the time, which was just about everything before it was done. One thing that didn't change was the name of the base C++ class, which was "GR" and the compiler defaulted the description of the application to the class base name. When things run as they should you'll see no traces of the games Green River roots, but if it crashes you'll still see a message indicating that "gr" has terminated.

Is it safe to say you've ruled out any other programs running that could interfere with the game? If you're certain you've got all the fish and location files but still get mysterious crashes, there could be other files used in custom outings that are missing, including sound effects. Do you have the problem at all when you're fishing the original outings?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix Thorn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Originally i didnt have any problems with the original outings, but timing is everything and last night and this morning, i have had 2 crashes on original outings, though i have been getting hours of fishing b4 this happens, whereas the new outings is a lot more frequent. so i suppose its safe to say, its happening on all venues.
Phoenix Thorn

Return to Tech Support