grayling

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

grayling

Postby Sean82 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi xxxfarsing,

I noticed you mention a couple of times that you fish for grayling. I'm from Aberdeen and fish almost entirely for trout but my father and I are planning a trip to the Earn later this month to fish for grayling, something we've been meaning to do for years. I'm wondering if you (or any of the other forum members) have any advice for the uninitiated novice! Do the stretches of water that look 'trouty' also hold grayling in the winter? Do you fish Czech style nymphs in the main or do other methods hold promise? Can you fish throughout the day or is it best to wait until the water warms up a bit in the afternoon?

Many thanks in advance (and a happy new year to all!)

Sean
Sean82

Postby paul » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:34 pm

While you're catching grayling, here's something to consider - We could add them to the game but we'll need some good net shots of various sizes of fish. I was hoping to catch and photograph some grayling while in Yellowstone last year, but it didn't work out. If you'd like to help get them into the game, take some close-ups of fish in a landing net, being released, etc. Ideally they should be shot with the camera facing downward so not much scenery shows.

Cheers! 8)

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Sean82 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm

I'll try my best Paul... providing, that is, I can catch any!

Sean
Sean82

Postby shanksi » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:26 pm

Sean,
If the weather stays as it is at the moment I would check before travelling from Aberdeen to the Earn as the river is very high at the moment. We are supposed to be fishing at Kinkell Bridge this Saturday and next Saturday but the first one is looking doubtful as the river is about 1.5 mt above it's normal level. I have only fished for grayling once before and the guys I'm going with say the river will be almost impossible to fish.

Ian
shanksi

Postby Sean82 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks for the advice Ian. We were planning to leave it until the end of January so hopefully the water levels will have dropped a bit by then. Fingers crossed it'll be down by Saturday for your trip.

Sean
Sean82

Postby shanksi » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Sean,
Meant to post last weekend and forgot. Josh my 11 yo son and I went up to the Earn at Kinkell Bridge last Saturday for some grayling fishing. There was a group of 10 of us and we only managed 10 grayling and several brownies between us, it was hard going but we had a great day. Nearly all the fish were caught trotting with maggots. The trip back up tomorrow has been cancelled as the river has burst it's banks due to all the rain this week.
You mentioned you were going at the end of January and I noticed the beat we were fishing the grayling season finishes on the 15th January so you might be better checking the grayling season is still on when you ontend going.

Ian
shanksi

Postby Sean82 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi Ian

Yes, by the looks of things I'll be lucky to get the fly rod out before June. I've discovered that SEPA post up to date river levels for all of the major rivers in Scotland on the web - http://www.sepa.org.uk/data/river_levels/data.htm - and the Earn was up over 2 metres above base level on Thursday.

Going by the anglingtayside web site, there are a couple of beats open all year round and many of those which aren't start their season on the 1st Feb. I don't know which beat we were planning to fish but, given the weather, it will probably be in February rather than January now.

Thanks again for the update and congratulations on the fish!

Sean
Sean82

Return to Real World Fly Fishing