Interested in creating new locations for RWFF?

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Interested in creating new locations for RWFF?

Postby paul » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:20 pm

We're considering producing a content-creation kit for Real World Fly Fishing. The kit would include detailed instructions for doing the digital photography (wading with a tripod is usually required) and some software for mapping the current and depth of each new site, specifying the hatches, fish populations, etc. It would also allow users to add their own fly patterns, fish species and more. So here's what we'd like to know:

If we released a content creation kit, would you use it?

If so, would you be willing to share your original RWFF content with other users through Pishtech.com?

Please let us know what you think!

Paul Halter
Pishtech
paul
Site Admin

Postby TWJMD » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:07 am

WOULD LOVE TO SEE MY LOCAL HONEY HOLES EXPOSED ON THIS FORMAT. PRIVATE TROUT CLUB WATER, STEELHEAD ON SALMON RIVER NEWYORK, STRIPERS IN MY BACKYARD. FUN LIL PROJECT I SURMISE. WOULD EVEN GO TO MONTAUK TO CAPTURE THE BLITZES AROUND THE END OF THE MIGRATION. BEEN THINKING ABOUT PAINTING MY FAVORITE STEELHEAD HONEY HOLE ON CANVAS, BUT THIS IDEA INSPIRES ME MORE!
when i go, my stone shall read: thank you fish
TWJMD

Postby TomS » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:46 pm

I'd also like to see some saltwater fishing added and might be interested in a content creation kit.

I think if you did a salt-water add-on for this game you would open up a whole new market.. surf fishing for stripers.. tailing bonefish and permit on a flat, etc.. would be outstanding!

-- Tom
TomS

Postby paul » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:29 am

We've had just a few people on the forum express interest in adding new locations to Real World Fly Fishing, but several more have let us know by email that they'd like to add their local waters. We're still considering releasing a complete content creation kit, but it may be a few months away due to the complexity of documenting some of the custom software tools involved. However, since we do have some people eager to help add locations to RWFF, here's what we're going to do for the time being:

We're publishing the instructions for site photography. By following these instructions you can take the pictures required for creating a new outing for the game. If you want to participate, follow these instructions carefully and e-mail me at paul@pishtech.com when you're ready to submit your pictures. We'll arrange to transfer the images over the net along with information about the fishing at that location. Pishtech will do the integration work to create a new outing with your photographs and share it on the web.

Any outing based on submitted pictures will be made available for download for free to all RWFF users. All contributing photographers will be credited in the new outings. If you're concerned about drawing attention to your favorite stream, don't worry. We'll use false names for the waters, so only you will know exactly where that secret spot really is.

At last count we had RWFF anglers fishing in 15 countries. All of us have some unique waters that we fish and with a little work we can bring those waters together and create an incredible variety of locations.

If you'd like to contribute a location you'll find the photography instructions here:

http://www.pishtech.com/RWFF_SitePhotog.html

If you have questions or comments please post them here on the forum. Thanks!

Paul Halter
Pishtech
paul
Site Admin

content creation kit

Postby KT » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:58 pm

This is a great idea...I can't imagine seeing places that I actually fish in this game.

Question...what would make up a "content creation kit"? Is there any way we can do most of this work ourselves? I'll check out the photography link.

Thanks for a great game. Keep the upgrades coming...more flies, for one! Why nothing to imitate submerged caddis? Some of the outings have hatches of just caddis, and we're forced to fish on top, or underneath with mayfly nymphs...unless I'm missing something! I'm new to the game.
KT

Postby paul » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:41 am

The content creation kit would involve some custom software tools for mapping depth and current in each site, and template files for configuring hatches and fish populations at each site, plus the photography guidelines. We're starting off with the photography instructions, but if we get overloaded with submissions we'll probably need to put the rest of the kit together to let people do more of the work themselves. Hopefully when spring rolls around we'll see submissions with a nice variety of locations. But hey - if you've got waters that are fishable this time of year, we certainly encourage you to shoot an outing as soon as you get the chance. When anyone submits a usable set of pictures we'll get it together as a downloadable outing as quickly as possible.

As for subsurface caddis patterns, try the peeking caddis or latex caddis. They'll produce very well when caddis larva are present.

Happy fishing!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Dawg54 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 pm

yes if it was there, i would use it ,great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hi not sure its filled out rite let me know
Dawg54

Return to Real World Fly Fishing