RWFF for Dummies!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

RWFF for Dummies!

Postby Carolmo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Hello all!
I would like to make a suggestion--- When I started this game I knew how to fish and loved it but I sure didn't know anything about how to do all of the things necessary to get the benefits of the game! I didn't even realize that that you could look on the forum for some answers! So---I started bugging (excuse the pun) people like Dave, Peter, Cutch and Bobcat for answers to the problems I encountered. They were all a trememndous help to me! Cutch even sent clear step by step (with pics) instructions for how to do various steps!
I am sure all of these guys had better things to do than to answer my questions but they never complained--they helped. Thanks a whole lot, guys!
I still get stuck--often-- and I know that some of the answers are on the forum but it takes hours of searching each topic in hopes of finding those answers--and they aren't always there.
I would like to suggest that a new forum be created with the basics for, or "how to's" for the game. I know there are many older people who are not as computer savvy as some and who are ready (as I was) to just throw up thier hands and bag the whole thing!
There must be someone in the community (besides Peter, Paul and Dave, they are busy enough!) who could do this. It would be a great help to all of us who don't know what you know!
I think this would greatly benefit a lot of people and we wouldn't have to "bug" the rest of you!
Thanks!
Fly fishing is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that!
Carolmo

Good Idea

Postby Bobcat John » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:51 pm

Carolmo
I think it is a good idea why don't you act as a filter and have people send the questions to you if you don't know the answer then you go to the ones that can help. Then put the answers together and post on the forum but also keep a copy for future reference in a note book or a file then when a question is asked again you could look up in your reference book and that would help get an answer for everyone who needs it. The main idea is keep up a reference book and they would not have to look at the whole forum to find an answer. As Dave has said if you come up with a good idea you will probably be asked to manage it I think a user that had some of the same problems would be a great help to people having some problems.
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

FwFF for Dummies!

Postby Carolmo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:37 am

Bobcat,
I think filtering the questions through me (who can't remember what day it is let alone computer things) would just tie up the process! I know from my experience that when I needed an answer I didn't want to wait for days for someone to look it up!
If no one wants to take something like this on--how about just having a forum where folks could ask computer questions and whoever sees the question and has the answer could answer it?
Carolmo

I will think it over!

Postby richwest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:24 am

Carol / Bobcat,

I think i'ts a good idea to put up something like that!

And I will surely give it a thought, I'm very busy like the other guys and my English isn't always correct, but I will think it over and maybe give it a try.

Just let me cook it over for some while.

And I gonna need also support from others, because I don't know it all either.

Regards from the other side of the big pool

Richard
richwest

Postby nccorthu » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 pm

I think at least a partial solution to this question is the use of the SEARCH function built into this forum.Its the SEARCH at the top 2nd to the left SEARCH.
Its a boolean search engine . For those of you not knowledgeable in that . Here's the very short course.

Step 1.
Phrase your question in plain English. You might even want to write it down. Try to make your question as simple as possible. Do not ask a compound question.
E.g. Give me the pages on Sculpin Flies. OR
NOT I want to know about the weather and in particular Sculpin Flies.

Step 2.
Take the question and pull out the operative words in it.
I.E. Flies and Sculpin.

Step 3.
Now comes the weird part. Search engines and catalogues on the World Wide Web basically operate on Boolean Algebra ( or Boolean Logic). For those over 40 that's the thing your algebra teacher spent about 20 minutes on since nobody knew what to do with it.
Computers love it. Most all of your searching in computer databases as well as the World Wide Web is done by using what's known as Boolean algebra.

To use it you simply need to remember the connecting words. The ones used most often are

AND - OR - NOT

These connectors, as they are sometimes called, will allow you to reduce your search to get a manageable number of responses. The problem that most people end up with is that they get something like 20,000+ responses back. Obviously, too much. Your search was too general. The Boolean connectors will cut down the number of responses and make them more in line with what you are actually looking for.

In our example, if you try just "flies" you will be flooded with responses but if you restrict it to "sculpin and flies" you will only get files that will respond to both words. Many fewer results since there is not much on Sculpin flies, it being a pretty small part of this forum. I usually never use capitals in these requests but sometimes the systems are case sensitive, so you may want to try things both ways. Its usually a good custom to stick with small letters on the Internet, especially in picking your E-Mail address. Put in a couple of caps in the middle and your friends will never find you. But I guess it can stroke the ego.
The key is to experiment with this and other Boolean operators. These though are the main ones and work everywhere.
Care should be taken when converting an English sentence into a formal Boolean statement. Many English sentences have imprecise meanings, e.g. "All that glitters is not gold," which could mean that "nothing that glitters is gold" or "some things which glitter are not gold".
AND and OR can also be used interchangeably in English, in certain cases:
• "I always carry an umbrella for when it rains and snows."
• "I always carry an umbrella for when it rains or snows."
Sometimes the English words AND and OR have the opposite meaning in Boolean logic:
• "Give me all the red and blue berries" usually means "Give me all berries that are red or blue". An alternative phrasing for standard written English: "Give me all berries that are red as well as all berries that are blue".
Also note that the word OR in English may correspond with either logical OR or logical XOR, depending on the context:
• "I start to sweat when the humidity or temperature is high." (logical OR)
• "You want ice cream and candy? You may have ice cream or candy." (logical XOR)
The combination AND/OR is sometimes used in English to specify a logical OR, when just using the word OR alone might have been mistaken as meaning logical XOR:
• "I'm having chicken and/or beef for dinner." (logical OR). An alternative phrasing for standard written English: "I'm having chicken, or beef, or both, for dinner."
• The use of the "and/or" virgule is generally disfavored in formal written English.[1] Such usage may introduce critical imprecision in legal instruments, research findings, and specifications for computer programs or electronic circuits.
A case where this is an issue is when specifications for a computer program or electronic circuit are supplied as an English paragraph describing their function. For example, the statement: "the program should verify that the applicant has checked the male or female box", should be taken as an XOR, and a check added to ensure that one, and only one, box is selected. In other cases, the interpretation of English may be less certain, and the author of the specification may need to be consulted to determine their true intent.

:shock:
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby taupo_tiger » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm

i will never have any prob to tell others my experiences

i did this already - i will continue doing this - i will always tell how where when

http://www.pishtech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498

:)

just ask i will be happy to answer
taupo_tiger

Postby dcarp » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Taupo my friend,

I'm hoping that there is a communication issue here and that you are not simply squashing Carol's idea. Maybe you don't realize that there is a large portion of this commmunity that are not such expert computer users as you?

The advice and comments you have posted in the past have been very useful, but what Carol is suggesting is a method for gathering those suggestions in one place so that new users don't have to search through the hundreds of posts to find an answer to their particular problem. That can be very frustrating for someone who is not so computer savvy. And of course, that does not apply to you and others who are comfortable using the forum.

I think there is room in the community for both methods. Method 1 is to simply post a question to the forum and hope someone answers it. Method 2 is for those folks who my be too shy to ask a questions on the public forum and would rather read through a nice summary of past questions and answers - a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) sort of document. I'm pretty sure there is room in Library for such a thing.

In a way, it's similar to your views on the Contests. If you don't want to read the summary of Q&A's - DON'T!

Personally, I hope you will continue to post your advice and suggestions to the forum, it will be a great resource for Carol and I to use to keep the Q&A book up to date!

DCarp (Dave)
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:27 pm

hello you all,

my grandfather was a pro hunter - he was happy when his guests were successful

i am no pro hunter (fisher), but i am also happy if my advice can (could) help

so - please ask - i will be happy to answer

my opinion and experience: people don´t read, people don´t search the forum , people ask

nevertheless the idea is great

i offer :
1.)
to answer questions
2.)
to help creating an "how to faq" ( to do it alone also, if you want)

all the best,
martin
Last edited by taupo_tiger on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taupo_tiger

Postby wasteelhunter » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:46 pm

What if we got everyone (who is willing of course) to submit some tips / tricks and then compile those into a general FAQ guide then sticky it on the forum. This could range anywhere from: How to properly use a (insert fly here) to tips on reading the water to find the biggest concentration of fish to tips on choosing the best fly for a certain situation.

Example:

I. Locating Fish
A) Trout
1. Search the seam where fast water meets slower water
2. In the calmer water behind rocks and structure
B) Smallmouth Bass
II. Choosing the proper fly

etc...

This would provide an easy to use outline which could be referenced by topicwithout having to dig through poststhat are sometimes close to what you're looking for or that just happen to have your keywords but irrelevant to your question. This would also be a huge help to those of us who have knowledge of some species and styles of fishing but are woefully ignorant of others.

Anyway, just a thought, feel free to criticize at will. 8)
wasteelhunter

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 pm

whatever it is - i declare to join creating an faq section, if it is appreciated

taupo_tiger

RWFF for Dummies!

Postby Carolmo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:33 pm

Hello Taupo!
It would be absolutely wonderful if you could take on this project! Perhaps you could find a way to incorporate some of Wasteelhunter's ideas into it!
I was going to try to work with Dave on this but to be very honest, Dave would get stuck doing most of it because as I have said time and again--I just don't have the computer smarts-----but you do!
I am glad that you saw the vision for this and if I can help, I would be glad to! Just contact Dave and give we "RWFF Dummies" a place to go for answers without "bugging" you guys!
Thanks again!!!!!
Carolmo

Postby nccorthu » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 pm

How about setting up a Wiki to do this. Free software is available and I can provide server space. I can also help some.
If your not familiar with wikis look at Wikipedia. com Its the originator of wikis and allows the users to build the site as they put in the content.

http://www.wikipedia.org/
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby taupo_tiger » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 am

hello,

just to find a consense what most of you think that would be the best solution:

i would prefer an inner rwff solution, not a third location like wiki or even the clubhouse

reasons:

the clubhouse could get more traffic than for a private webspace is allowed and should stay a place for the goodies additional to the game

it would be again a part of the three friends who already work most to implement things - i cannot work on homepages, i have never done this

and last but not least - a small part of what you suggest has already been started

my proposal of a solution is:

- to collect technical questions from the board together with its answers and to mail them to paul so that they are integrated THERE:

http://www.pishtech.com/support.php3

to ask paul to rename this section in something like "RWFF technical FAQ"

and secondly - to open a new branch of THIS board to collect hints and advice of "how to"

if this is filled with info, paul could take it over to his page also and name it "RWFF practical fishing help"

since in the board there is the possibility to have a link to these in the signature, it would be easy to find also

personally, i do not know if this "how to" section should also include something like a "challenge guide" where you find fly and depth advice for each challenge - some people like that, some don´t

so what dou you think?

all the best,
martin
taupo_tiger

Postby nccorthu » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:20 pm

Taupo I think you love dumping huge amounts of work on Paul with this. He simply does not have the time that would need to be put in.
Also a Wiki is a program ( free on the Internet) that can be put on any server anywhere The Pishtech system included. And if paul is willing we could use that.
However you should be aware that someone has to nanny ( keep it organized and the spamming out of it) that, whatever way it is a wiki allows everyone to post directly subject to the editor dumping or modifying posts. It allows for good organization , easy submittal of material to put on it also at the start an organization and posting of existing material would have to be contended with. I enough people do so its easy if not its work and complaining.
Are you willing to contribute time to this?
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby taupo_tiger » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 am

hello gary,

please lower the speed a little bit

so far you are the only one who wants a wiki solution, so let others express their opinion also

paul should also express his favorite solution, i guess

pishtech.com is the main distribution tool for his present (and future) software, so he should tell us if he prefers to keep this project in his forum or not

then it would be his decision if he puts some questions and answers from the forum into his support section by copy and paste - or not

this is a community - let the community work out the favorite solution - i declare that i will support the result

taupo_tiger
taupo_tiger

Next

Return to Real World Fly Fishing