1st Quarter 2008 Season Cup - 1st Contest starts now!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

1st Quarter 2008 Season Cup - 1st Contest starts now!

Postby oppimax » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:29 am

Hi @All, :D

let's start the 1st Quarter 2008 Season Cup! Five big contests to assign it in March 08!

From this we'll play also in custom outings! 8)

So..welcome to "Peter's outing Challenge"! :P :P :P

Hoping you'll enjoy it, this contest is a BIG BIG BIG THANKS! to Peter!....for all the big and good work he has done and is doing for this game we all love! :D :D :D

You'll have to challenge in 5 of his beautifull outings! 8)

From now we'll play 2 contests a month (more or less!) and they'll run for 11/12/13 days! Having so more time for contest, fishing elsewhere, making outings, tying flies and so on. :wink:

At the Clubhouse you'll find the rules (have a look also at general rules) and ask for any doubt.

Only use last rel. 119 because any other version will create decoder-errors and are invalid.

Waiting for a big participation....tigth lines! :D :D
Massimo
oppimax

Postby taupo_tiger » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:53 am

hello,

great contest, thanks a lot
:)

one question:
in the contest rules you have:
any flies
in the general rules there is: no custom flies

please tell me if i am allowed to use custom flies also
taupo_tiger

Postby wasteelhunter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:17 am

Wow, now this sounds fun. My first contest, can't wait, although I believe I'm gonna get killed on the pike part... and the bahamas... and all the other parts I just downloaded.

Just to make a clarification, the rules posted for this contest take precedence over the general rules on the contest page. If I'm reading correctly for this contest it's any setup and any flies to include anything I tied myself correct?

Also we're playing on experienced and not expert level correct?
wasteelhunter

Postby Pitti » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:05 am

Massimo, you really move me to tears :oops: :oops: and make me happy and proud. :D :D Thank you very much!

I think this contest is not the easiest, because most fishes here are very easy to spook.

Therefore my hints:

Fish very carefully. Beginn with short casts and lengthen it step by step.

If you are uncertain about flies, you can find some special pattern for River Em, River Moerrum and others like "Pits Supper Fly Em" and so on. (They are includet in the Clubhouse-Addon-pack).

Thank you very much again :)

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby oppimax » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi @All, :D

For this contest you can use ANY fly (RWFF original or custom (already tied or to be tied)). :wink:

Level is Experienced. :wink:

Ciao and tigth lines!
Massimo
oppimax

Postby wuppereumel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:09 pm

Nice contest Massimo. I'm game! :D

Regards
Guenter
wuppereumel

Postby wasteelhunter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Thank you very much for the clarification, couple days to practice these new rivers and I'll be sending in my pitiful scores :D Either way it's gonna be fun.
wasteelhunter

Postby nccorthu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:00 am

Used to be that contests were on Official waters what is this. The creators of their own waters have the contests on them for what, Chub, Carp and such stuff.

I'm sorry that I can't participate in such a farce. Please let me know when there are to be real contest for real "virtual fish".
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby Pitti » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:35 am

Hi Gary,

wow, that's sound really a little bit inclement. :shock:

First: You are right. You don't need to participate any contest.m If you don't like it, let it be.

But what's your problem?

I'm sure that most guys are happy with new species. Chub, Carp, Seatrout, Arctic Char and so on are all species for Flyfishing. I'm also think that Paul is glad to find new species.
I can only talk for me, but for my outings I have only create species which are real at that waters. I think other creators have done the same.

So why it's a farce for you?

The "official" waters are nearly exploited for contests, so it's logical to use also custom outings in the future.

Last but not least: Don't forget it's a game. For an real simulation too much things are missed, like fish-behavior on line-mending etc.

Anyway it's a funny game, but not more and not less.

Only my two cents :wink:

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby taupo_tiger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:56 am

hello @all,

and especially - dear gary:

this contest is in pitti´s outings only - so the only one who could have an advantage were pitti himself - and now have a look how often pitti officially takes part in the contests - as far as i remember it was only once when all his friends asked him to take part

furthermore:

I WOULD BE GLAD IF HE TOOK PART, because:

in real life one often visits a water where there are guys who have been fishing this water for their whole life

so if you catch almost as much as them or even a tiny little bit more - you´ll know you have done the job

i personally take part in every contest, because it is my personal opinion that it were unfair if i only took part if i ´d be able to win, and if i know i am not the best in that water, i find a fifth place is a personal success FOR ME

if giving WO on every 2nd contest took place in real sports, you would have nascar races with three cars, swimming competitions with 2 swimmers, ............

but last but not least, dear friends, it is your choice

all the best,
taupo tiger
taupo_tiger

Postby richwest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 am

Gary,

I agrer with Peter and Taupo!!!

I was ahead for a long time on my own water (Postweide Pond)
but if you look at the scores on Wild Carp, you will see I'm beaten on my own waters.

So at first creators will be in advance, that's right!
But when others start to learn the waters, they are fully capable on competing with any creators.

But if you're afraid of getting 2nd or 3th you're welcome to drop out.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby shanksi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:31 pm

It had to happen someone taking it too serious. Sorry Gary but it's only a game and a bit of fun will take part in contest even if no chance of winning.

shanksi
shanksi

contest

Postby Carolmo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:55 pm

Hello guys!
I understand what Gary is talking about concerning fish and I think it's because on this side of "the big pond" we consider fish such as carp, chub , barbels etc as trash fish. If we catch them we throw them out on the shore for the wildlife to eat! I, personally, do not know of anyone who fishes for them on purpose! They can be caught on a hot dog! I know, I did it as a kid!
I download all of the outings and the first thing I do is go through them and admire the beautiful scenery! They are beautiful places to fish! Then I start to fish. When I start pulling in trash fish I no longer fish there. Yes, that is my choice but for me, after spending 3-4 hours downloading something, it is a great disappointment. I assumed the game was for game fish. Perhaps in Europe what we think of as trash fish are not seen that way! In a contest, it seems that to have the sites just full of these fish might look like the contest is slanted. That is not good for the game.
Fly fishing is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that!
Carolmo

Postby taupo_tiger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:43 pm

hello,

there are 5 outings

Guide to Eman River - famous for sea trout
Moerrum River - famous for salmon and sea trout
Unnamed Lake - choose your fly to catch pike
Bahamas - fishing in the flats
Khara Murin River - arctic char ( one of the prettiest fish i´ve ever seen)

so despite the carp in the lake i don´t see any "trash fish" in this contest
taupo_tiger

Postby nccorthu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Sorry that folks on the other side of the pond have different expectations of this.
True its just a game. However, I see that many people have dropped out of these games and from what I see its the "perception of them being rigged" in favor of a few. Whether this is true or not does not matter.
I think you have to agree that there is a problem. The last contest had almost as few participants as winning positions. How many will be in this one and how many of those will drop out of them pretty quickly. I would think that of almost 800 registered users more would get and stay excited??.

I suggest that you redo the contests and get rid of the problems that are creeping in. They are more than carp, chubs, barbel.

Sorry to stir your emotions but......
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Next

Return to Real World Fly Fishing