Smiles galore......

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Smiles galore......

Postby oxquo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Hahahahaha I caught My first carp, a 37" er yes it was on beginner but it was great. The funny thing though was that as I was fighting him I noticed a familiar face in the reflection of the monitor, that big turd eatin grin You get when You hook into somethin big and brutal. It seems that only Fly Fishermen get this grin as I have watched many spinning fishers and bait fishers serious faces as they reel in their catch, somethin about carp on the fly that just tells You that You are the one caught here. I could almost hear My knees knockin. Great game, GREAT!!! Of course I did expect that 50 yard dash as He got to shore and saw My ugly mug. Sadly though the grin disappeared as I looked out the window and saw 2' of snow, for a moment, just for a moment I was there, Spring time, carp galore, just Me and My 7wt. Ahhhhhh
oxquo

Postby richwest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Glad we were able to create a huge grin on your face!!!

What outing did you get your carp on?

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby oxquo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 am

Postweide pond using a pattern I tied that I use for carp in the spring which is simply a 1" black marabou tail and a size 8 2x hook wrapped in black chenille ultra. Normally I make a crawfish flavored glug with gelatin to dip them in but there are none in the game. anyways that pond and unnamed lake are awesome, for pike as well.
oxquo

Postby richwest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:48 am

Try site 9 or 10 at postweide pond.

use the yellow marabou streamer (nr 151 in the catalogue), size 2
1 split, 2 feet indicator

fish close and along the sides (site 10 just below the middle is a good spot too)

Remember to wear an anchor to prevent you for being pulled into the water.

success Richard
richwest

Postby oxquo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try, The game just keeps getting better and better. I have got the itch like no ones business now. May have to go drill some holes at the local perch lake and take the 3wt out, lol. The guys on pigeon lake Alberta did just that, they had a fly ice fishing derby which allowed two 10" holes side by side to be drilled and could score points for fish at 20, 30, 40 and 50 ft. The trick was to actually place a shot at the butt of Your tippet, come across the hole and let the weight carry you down. The winner was an 18 inch pike but I guess aside from the holes covering over with ice after 3 casts it was all good fun. I never knew the option was there but am no one to pass up a fly fishing opportunity. I will be sure to take pics should it work out lol. Anyway for now I am missin My carp so its off to postweide for the big one, tight lines.
oxquo

Postby oxquo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks for the tip, I tried My corn pop-up fly there, which is the fly I use all Summer for real and broke off 3 times. I fished it the same way, with a sinker and a indicator 2' up but can't seem to land the big guy. Oh well, can't catch them all. John....
oxquo

Postby richwest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm just about finishing creating perch as the next RWFF species, but have just a small problem in putting the fins right. (it's annoing me for quite a while, because i can't get them right, program won't render )

I asked Paul and he helped me a lot on it, but it still does not work.

Have to try a little more and hope to end up as a winner. If so, perch will be available soon.

P.S. Biggest carp on Postweide has grown to 45", I have not been able to get it in too. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby oxquo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm

Perch would be soooo cool. Here all we can fish for is perch walleye carp and pike, but I am going to try to target burbot on the fly as I had one get away short of the net last year. The big one on Postweide broke Me off 7 times now, last time I let him take drag out for well over half hour, the minute I touched the rod he broke off, pretty frustrating. Normally I call those RUNNERS... In Our river when We hook them You kick off Your wadders and put on runners lol. Oh well, all I can say is it must be a very huge pond. Best of luck on the creation, its people like You who make this game great, thanks John....
oxquo

Postby nccorthu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 am

Wait till you get your first 37" Steelhead
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Postby dcarp » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:47 am

Rich,

I'd be happy to take a stab at the fin issue on your perch if you want to send me the image files.

I had a lot of trouble with fins myself at first, but think I've figured it out.

Dcarp (Dave)
dcarp

Postby oxquo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 am

Did anyone else notice that after updating the mysterious line breaker disappeared on peg 9 and 10? kind of a relief, My fingers are tired and sore from tying virtual replacement flies, lol.
oxquo

Postby richwest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Hey oxquo,

Bought some Dragon Tackle Carpflies today.

Names: Standard Dog Biscuit, Indicator Dog Biscuit and Deer Hair Breadcrust.

I will create these in RWFF too and add them to the catalogue.
If interrested, I be happy to share the files.

Regards Richard
richwest

Postby oxquo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Awesome!!! I haven't bought any carp flies but find the wild ones love injected leeches and corn flies. I am hoping to get some mirror's this year as I have only landed one so far. They are often caught on the surface so maybe the dogfood fly would get them going. I had a pattern around here for a mulberry fly and although We have none around here We do have one berry bush that they go insane under so it may work under there.
With the leeches, use good lead wrap, then soft foam underneath, wrap your chenille on loosely and a good marabou tail. The foam has to be like kitchen type sponge to work well and not be too buoyant. then with a small worm blower bottle it can be inject quite a few times. My best results were on crawdads extracted, boil them down shell and all. As it's boiling hard add one pack of certo or knox gelatin to about 2 cups of liquid(after you remove the craws ) add a pinch of salt and let chill in a baking pan, aluminum, DO NOT USE WIFE's or You will also need to build a new home on the river. after it chills in the pan and sets, cut into 2-3" cubes and freeze. when thawed they get soft but jelly like You can inject often. I suppose one could use this on a foam craw too. Clams also work great.

As for time to fish these, moonlit nights rock.

Look forward to swappin some bugs with ya.
oxquo

Return to Real World Fly Fishing