Had to share this.....

Questions about ordering, miscellaneous

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Had to share this.....

Postby dcarp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:16 am

Hello Everyone

Every since I did the research for the Art of Flytying book the Clubhouse Library, I've been wanting to create a Carrie Stevens style streamer fly. I was really taken with the information I came across about her. She was a hat maker by trade, and a fisherperson as a hobby. I believe her husband was a guide. She took her knowledge of feathers and fur from her "day job" and used it to create a wonderful series of flies, also known as Rangeley Flies.

I played around a bit with some of her techniques on smaller versions using hooks I had. In the mean time I ordered some Partridge of Ridditch Carries Stevens Streamer Hooks. I knew they were big, but not THAT BIG:

They barely fit in the palm of my hand!

The first steps in tying a Carrie Stevens fly is very similar to a floss body steelhead fly or other streamer (except you use a LOT more floss).

I substituted Polar Bear for the throat (should have been White Hackle fibers, but I didn't have any long enough)

The wing contruction is very unique. On most of her flies, she actually glued the layers together. A brilliant idea (especially if you've ever worked on Atlantic Salmon flies....). A small amount of head cement or super glue along the spine of each feather is plenty to hold things together.

I actually prepared the wings in advance by selecting 2 nice long hen neck feathers, a lady amheart neck feather and a jungle cock eye (x2 - for each side). After checking for length and stripping the unneeded tips, I glued the wing layers together and set aside to dry.

Next I added 4 peacock herls for and underwing:

I substituted Lady Amhearst for Silver Pheasant, due to lack of Silver Pheasant. I also used a labdy amhearst crest instead of a golden pheasant crest because I liked the color combination. The wings are tied in "tent" style like most spey style flies to make a peaked roof and it adds some width to the fly. I think in theory the wings will "balloon" out a bit in the water and the peacock herls will become very mobile under the wing tent.

To finish off the fly I did pull a Carries Stevens trademark....... a black head with a orange or red band in the center.

Here is the finished fly:

Carol: Recognize those Hackle feathers and jungle cock nails? Thanks to you, this fly is complete and the fly tier is very pleased!
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:50 am

Beautiful job, Dave,...I'd eat that fly myself :!: :lol:
Cutch

Great work

Postby Bobcat John » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Dave
That is a great series why don't you post that in the tying book in the club house your flies show a lot of great technique what about the different tiers putting a series together like that to help other tiers learn new flies and if they have trouble they can always email for help I know any chance I get I attend any classes I can they always seem to help but I would love to be able get a hold of the tier 6 months later when I have problem, just an idea.

Thanks
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

Postby dcarp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:08 pm

Bobcat,

I need to think about how to incorporate something like that into the book. I really like the idea though. We've got a nice variety of flies and the patterns in the book, but not much information on the techniques of tying them up.

I think we could link from the flies page in the book out to a step-by-step page.

I'd really like to see some step-by-step pictures of your deer hair bass poppers and some of Carol's Catskill dries. A person can always learn a lot about techniques used by other tiers and incorporate it into their own tying. I really struggle with the small dries myself. I think a lot of my problem is that I'm used to tying big stuff (that I can see well) and that allows for some margin of clumsiness.

Start snapping those photos folks and we'll see what we can do with this!

Dave
dcarp

sharing

Postby Carolmo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:50 am

Dave, That fly is absolutely stunning! If I had it I wouldn't get it wet! beautiful job! I would never have looked on this forum for anything if someone hadn't told me this was here!
Thanks for sharing!
Fly fishing is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that!
Carolmo

Return to Other