New features!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

New features!

Postby Sean82 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:04 pm

'Wow!' :D

After a few months away from the forum, I was astonished to discover these new creation features. The possibilities for applying the 'personal touch' are incredible and I think Paul should be given a lot of credit for handing over the 'means of production' to us gamers... and, let's not forget, it's all free.

I was a little sceptical about the fish creation app. but a couple of hours messing about last evening, I managed to create this beautiful california golden trout (mine doesn't rotate but I still love it!).

[having read the link in Dave's post, I have removed this image]

Unfortunately I'm using images that I've robbed from the internet so it's going to be for personal use only (although could I share the fish without sharing the downloaded 'caught' photos? I really don't know the legalities involved). Anyway, hopefully one day someone with their own photos and a high altitude stream will make their own 'goldies' for sharing.

Right, next is grayling I think! :wink:

Sean
Last edited by Sean82 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean82

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:55 pm

Sean,

Great work on the Golden! They are beautiful fish. Can't wait to see them in the game.

As far as the legalities goes, you do have to be careful not to use copyrighted images or images that you do not have permission to use. Be especially careful if you have pictures that have people in them!

If enough editing has been done so that the new image no longer resembles the original, then you are fine in most cases.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, just attended a couple seminars in the past regarding image usage for web site development. I'm pretty sure a lot of the same laws apply.

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Welcome back Sean82,
Yes, Paul has done a wonderful thing by sharing these new features with members. If you think about it, when folks find these features in a game, they are more apt to buying it just to tie flies, create Outings, and now create new species of fish for the game. :wink:

Great job you did creating the California Golden Trout. :wink:
I too was wondering about this legality issue and have a question that probably only Paul can answer.

Since our member Outings will only be shared by a few of us, (Our Outings won't be in the CD's folks buy), what's the chance of anyone ever seeing the pictures of the caught fish? (if we cropped and used real ones from the internet)
No one is trying to make a profit using the pictures? Sorry, I don't understand this. (If I had pictures of trophy fish on the net and someone wanted to use them in a game, (for fun, not for profit),...I would be flattered. :wink:

We could make some great Outings in far away streams that we could never afford to go fish in real life by creating the fish images, using real pictures from the net, and using a local stream to simulate the one in a place we could never fish in real life.
This would be so cool IF we could do this and not get into trouble. :wink:
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:07 pm

Howdy,

Cutch, you bring up some great points there. None of us are profiting from using the images in the outings we share amongst ourselves. I wonder if it really matters then......

I did find this link about the matter and it does seems pretty specific, again though, it applies to use of images for web or print media:

Borrowing Images

Dave
dcarp

Postby Sean82 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Hi guys

Interesting stuff. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you're in dangerous territory when you alter an image in order to sidestep the copyright! There's no harm in contacting the guys who have uploaded photos onto the web and asking if they'd mind us using them. I'd be flattered too.

My question was whether or not this fish that I have created, for which I used a photograph that somebody else has taken without permission, is legit and whether I can share the bmps that the software has rendered with the other guys on the forum. Maybe I shouldn't have even posted it in my earlier message? I don't know.

Sean
Last edited by Sean82 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean82

Postby Sean82 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Dave,

Just read the article again and I guess these fish are 'derivative works'. Personal use only I'm afraid.

Sean
Sean82

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 pm

Sean,

Copyright stuff is so confusing. Seems like the laws are short on specifics and long on "grey area".

Probably best to be safe and use your own images. Although, by the time you get the image to the "skin.bmp" stage, there isn't anything recognizable from the original.

Dave
dcarp

Postby paul » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Hey, folks. Yeah, the copyright laws are a bit touchy on these things. I think you're safe using a picture from the web only if you and only you use it. Of course even if you share your creations that use those images via the forum, you're not profiting from it, but it could appear that Pishtech is endorsing your work by hosting the forum. That's why Pishtech's policy needs to be to insist that you use only images and sounds for which you have the copyright or the permission of the copyright holder.

Cutch and I have been discussing this in the context of an outing he's planning to create. One possibility we discussed is contacting some guide services or fishing lodges for photos. Every fly fishing guide or lodge is going to have lots of photos of fish their clients have caught, and it's a good bet they'd welcome the free promotion they'd get if their images were used in the game. Adding their company name to each image would give them exposure. Some lodges would probably even be willing to go out and do some site photography to enable someone to build an outing that features their location. So if someone wants to create an outing but can't get the pictures of either fish or water, I'd suggest contacting some places like that with the offer to let people around the world experience their fishing in RWFF. 8)

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby dcarp » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 pm

Hello,

Wow, that is a great idea!

Dave
dcarp

Return to Real World Fly Fishing