Lower McKenzie River Outing...

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Lower McKenzie River Outing...

Postby Cutch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:17 am

I wasn't going to create an Outing until next spring but when my tripod came in for our digital camera, my wife wanted to try it out. So, 2 days and 230 pictures later,...I changed my mind. I wanted to do the upper McKenzie River first, but I want to do that next spring when it's green and pretty with wild flowers, etc.

I decided to create the lower part of The McKenzie. The lower part is wider, deeper, flatter, and flows through fairly flat land. The upper McKenzie comes from steeper terrain, it's narrower, and has lots of white water. Both the upper and lower river are good fishing for Steelhead, Chinook Salmon, Rainbow and Cutthroat Trout. These 4 species are in the game but I've substituted Atlantic Salmon for Chinook Salmon.

Before you fish my river, I must explain something. For instance, you folks would wonder why I had 3 sites in the Outing with large rocks protruding out into the water. These are 3 of my "Honey Holes" where I've caught some really nice Steelhead and Chinook Salmon (Rainbows and Cutthroats too) in real life. Fish like the rocks aren't there. Fish swim through them and hit flies right there where the rocks are. LOL

Now I wished I had done a small creek as my first outing because a large, deep, fairly swift river like the McKenzie is tough to get trout to hit dry flies,....(I found out) Don't get me wrong, they will hit flies in the shallower water, but not a aggressively as in a smaller stream or creek.

With that said, here's few tips how I fished the my river for 3 days testing the Beginner, Experienced, and Expert modes.

1. Like Paul has said over and over, start your casts in close and work out. What do I mean by close?....how about on top of your boot laces. You'll see that a lot of the sites have the deepest water close to where you're standing.

2. If the fish don't hit dry flies very well, (it will vary site to site), switch to wet flies. nymphs, and streamers. I had the best overall luck using streamers cast across and stripping line in. (left click once, drift about 3 seconds, left click once again, wait 3 seconds, etc)

Click the link below to download my Outing: At the top, click continue. then Click "Download Now" on the right.
Lower McKenzie River Outing

Put these 2 sound waves in the sound folder inside the Real World Fly Fishing folder:
SOUND WAVES

I know there are Boo-Boos, please let me know about them.

That's it, hope you like my river, have fun, and,....TIGHT LINES!
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Cutch,

very nice outing. Works fine. I like the cojote :) I wished, I could hear it sometime in real life.

Thank you
Peter
Pitti

Postby Boston Bob » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:26 am

Cutch: Thanks for sharing the MCKenzie with us. Very nice, I just had time to look at the sites, can't wait to fish them tonight. With so many new rivers being added to the game I'm having trouble finding time to fish the contest....
LOL.
Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

New river

Postby Bobcat John » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Cutch
Thank you for another great site to fish I agree with the others it is getting hard to try to improve the contest score, since Oppimax won't adjust your score are you trying to keep everyone busy and you won't have any one in the contest just kidding I really enjoy the work of the talented people we have at this site. I also love the video clips you create for all of us. We have some very talented fly tiers donating to the prize pool and hope that every one has a chance to win some of their work.

Thanks
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

re: new outing

Postby Carolmo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Beautiful outing, Cutch! While I am a small stream, dry fly, person, this looks like a great place to fish! Everything is looking fine so far!
Thank you for all of your hard work and the way it all came together!
Carolmo
Fly fishing is not a matter of life and death--it's more important than that!
Carolmo

Smallk stream

Postby Bobcat John » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Carolmo
Now that you live in california we will have to make a large river fisher woman of you I like the new outings too but trying to fish them and work on my contest score is getting hard. But it sure is alot of fun.

Thannks
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

Postby dcarp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:59 pm

Hello all,

Contest scores? what contest????????? :wink: :wink: :wink:

It is pretty difficult to sit down and work on the contest with all the new outing to see and explore.

We did this on purpose Carol to keep you distracted so one of us guys has a chance to win for a change :D . You let is slip that you have dialup internet access so we all banded together to create multiple HUGE downloads that will keep you occupied and OFF the water!

Cutch - I just got the McKenzie downloaded and will be getting to it shortly.

Dave
dcarp

outing

Postby Carolmo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:33 pm

You are exactly correct , Dave! Those downloads take between 4-5 hours! I forgot about the contest too!
Bobcat, I'm trying thru this game to like bigger waters and heavier tackle-- not gaining too much yet but will keep on keeping on!
Carolmo

Postby dcarp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:36 pm

Cutch,

Beautiful river, great job. Every site is wonderful! THAT is what an Oregon River is folks!

Looking forward to seeing your other creations in the future.

P.S. Exactly which ones of those sites are your "honey holes"? And if you could send me Longitute and Latitude coordinates, I'd really appreciate it :wink: . I think I have an excuse in progress for heading south..............

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks for the kind remarks, folks. :wink:
Dave, since I took those pictures for my Outing,....suddenly I've forgotten where the "Honey Holes" are :!: (After all, I am 71 yrs young) :roll: :lol:
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Cutch,

Don't feel bad.... I'm only 42 and I can't remember when my "honey holes" are either when somebody asks..............

Dave
dcarp

Postby Carolmo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi again!
I just caught a beautiful 38"er on the new river! It's a very nice place without too much rushing water!
Don't worry guys, you can have the ponds--they make me feel more like I am trolling than fly fishing! :D :D :D
Carolmo

Postby dcarp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Carol,

Thanks for letting us boys have a shot at winning in the kiddy pools! :D :D :D

That's my specialty anyway. The only time I've got a metal in a contest was the one Pitti ran for catching the smallest fishes!

Maybe someday you'll put on an online clinic and teach us fellas how to catch them big browns on little flies. I have a feeling you've been knocking the snot out of steelies too.

All joking aside - it's a true pleasure having you as a member of this community. We all learn from and share with each other - as people and as fisherpersons - either through the flies we've shared with each other (real and virtual), the outings people have made and posted and through the conversations we have talking and fishing together with the chat tool. Because of you, I've tied on a genuine catskill dry fly. You've exposed me to another dimension of fly fishing history I haven't explored. Through Pitti, Massimo and Taupo, I've learned about fly fishing waters and methods half way around the globe. Bobcat has piqued my interest in warmwater species and the flies used to chase them. Now I would say something nice about Cutch .....but....... HE WON'T TELL ME WHERE HIS HONEY HOLES ARE!!!!!!!!!!

Tight Lines all!

Dave
dcarp

Postby nccorthu » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:23 pm

This is the kind of river like. Makes you work and THINK as to how to get them and once in a while a nice one.
Gary Orthuber
nccorthu

Return to Real World Fly Fishing