Oppenheim Park Common Carp

Discussion about fishing in real life

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Oppenheim Park Common Carp

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:46 pm

I found myself at Oppenheim Park the other day with my father, targeting Common Carp with my 8wt fly rod and a few various flies, such as one I call the Sweet Corn fly. It literally resembles a few corn kernels on a hook and has proven deadly in the past on Carp. After a bit of a slow morning, figured my best option was to sight-cast to feeding carp, which means carefully walking along the water, looking for plumes of mud coming up off the bottom. That worked out well, as I caught these two little scrappers:

Roughly 3-4 lbs, didn't weigh him. Strong fish though

Little bigger, maybe 4-5lbs.

After another bit of a lull, I saw some more activity and promptly cast my fly nearby. After waiting, I thought maybe I had spooked them when my line gave a tug, then tightened up. I strip-set, and immediately knew that I had hooked a HORSE of a Carp. Told my father to grab the net and get the scale ready, as this was gonna be a long battle haha. Indeed it was, a long, 20-25 minute fight with a fish that refused to relent. Took me into my backing quite a few times on long runs, and for a while I couldn't budge him. When he was tiring out and in typical Carp fashion, every time we'd get him close enough to net him, he'd freak out and surge ahead. We finally got him into the net, unhooked him and weighed him: 20.4 lbs

After a couple quick pics, I set him free to fight again. He still had quite a lot of fight in him, and he let me know with a tail whack and splash LOL. So thats how my day went. That one tired me out as much as I tired him out. Not a bad day of fly fishing I'd say! Big reason why I love to catch them on flies, such a different experience and such a harder fight!
wyldechylde77

Re: Oppenheim Park Common Carp

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

Congratulations my friend! :lol: You have come a long ways in your flyfishing career in a very short time! I told you it was fun to catch almost anything (except yourself!) on a flyrod and it is now all coming true for you. In years past the old flyrod purists would poo-poo catching a big carp on a flyrod as they are not considered a noble game fish. I'd bet you a dollar that most of those guys have not hooked into a good strong carp with a flyrod before. However, during the past few years the sport of flyfishing for carps has become very popular in many parts of the US and flyrodding for carp has become very popular. I used to get very strange and questioning looks from bait fishermen when I show up at the stream side or pond with a long and slender flyrod and most of those guys were amused, that is until I hooked into a good fish and they would gather around to see how you can catch a carp without the traditional corn and live baits. :lol:

Those are great pictures of Common Carp, I only wished you had laid them down on something plain and took some good profile pictures for me. Well, at least you didn't have your fingers in its mouth this time around. LOL :lol:

Keep the good fishing posts coming. Always enjoy seeing them on our Forum.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Cutch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 am

Good job, Chuck, did you tie a fly for the game like the Cornfly?
If so, I want it. lol!
Cutch

Postby Cutch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:16 am

Good job, Chuck, did you tie a fly for the game like the Cornfly?
If so, I want it. lol!
Cutch

Postby NachoV » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 am

Nice job! Keep it up
NachoV

Return to Fishing