Outing Creation Kit update

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Outing Creation Kit update

Postby paul » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:56 pm

One step in the outing creation process that's giving people trouble is step 2.5, making the mapbase.bmp file. Getting various image editors to produce the image with the right palette seems to be more hassle than I expected. I've automated that step, so now the RWFF Outing Tool will generate the mapbase.bmp file automatically. If you're using the OCK you'll want to download it again to get the update. Just use the link in the documentation (which has also been updated - no more step 2.5.):

http://www.pishtech.com/ock0.html

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Cutch » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Thanks Paul. :wink:
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 am

Paul,

is there a way to encode the fish.def and the hatches.def? I found at Daves outing that it is be too easy to look at this files to find the max length, default fish interest etc.

Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Peter,

Good observation. When I publish and outing I not only encrypt the files (in a way that only RWFF can read them) but also interlink the files. Each file gets an ID code embedded, and wherever one file references another (like when an outing.def file specifies a site) it also embeds the referenced file's ID (from the site.def in this example.) The result is that you can't move a fish.def or hatches.def file from site to site or outing to outing without RWFF saying the files are corrupted and refusing to open the outing. That's all there to make sure on-line competitions are legit.

Right now the custom outings don't do any of that. I didn't want to include the ability to link and encrypt the files since that would give someone the tools to decrypt, alter, relink and encrypt any outing. So then people could use it to cheat in competitions.

I'm thinking one possible solution is to include the ability to encrypt, but not decrypt, in the OCK. An outing developer would make a copy of their work and encrypt that, so they've still got the unencyrpted version for making future changes. Then they could share their outings with everyone without worrying about people altering them.

Of course someone really determined to cheat could take all the river photos from an outing, use the OCK and create a new outing with the same name and same sites as the original, but with bigger, hungrier fish. I'm working on a system that will give each encrypted outing a unique hidden ID that would be included in the fish code. Then when you and Dave receive fish codes for a competition you would know if they came from the "official" version of a certain outing.

Until this is complete I'd suggest keeping the competitions on the Pishtech outings.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Pitti » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm thinking one possible solution is to include the ability to encrypt, but not decrypt, in the OCK. An outing developer would make a copy of their work and encrypt that, so they've still got the unencyrpted version for making future changes. Then they could share their outings with everyone without worrying about people altering them. Of course someone really determined to cheat could take all the river photos from an outing, use the OCK and create a new outing with the same name and same sites as the original, but with bigger, hungrier fish. I'm working on a system that will give each encrypted outing a unique hidden ID that would be included in the fish code. Then when you and Dave receive fish codes for a competition you would know if they came from the "official" version of a certain outing.

Paul,

This would be a good solution, I think. Thank you :)

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby paul » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 pm

I've just updated the Outing Creation Kit with the ability to encrypt the def files. You can also decrypt, but only for the files you've encrypted yourself. So you can always go back and edit your own def files but you won't be able to see or change the contents of def files made by others.

I haven't yet added an outing ID to the fish code. That will be necessary before scores made on custom outings can be validated. That will go in the next update.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby dcarp » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:53 am

Paul,

Excellent! This is a great new feature! Thank you.

Dave
dcarp

Postby Pitti » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:21 am

Thank you very much. This is a great update.

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby oppimax » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:32 pm

Paul,
I noticed a strange bug I got with the last version of the outing tool.

I did a new outing, compiled it and tested if working with RWFF. Every thing OK.

Then I went back to the tool and I encrypted it to share with other guys.
I did the zip file and uploaded it.

When I started again RWFF the outing wasn't there!
The folder was correctly at his place and the outing tool found the outing as it where first time (as if you delete outing.def file).

Probably RWFF couldn't recognize it as an outing (perhaps as it was encrypted).

I installed rel 116 (changing name to the file .dat) before doing all I told you above.

I had to compile it again and decrypt it and then it works again also in RWFF.

Now I've done a new zip file and I will upload it to share with guys. I hope it should work.

Let me know what do you think about.

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Return to Real World Fly Fishing