Fly Fishing Simulator HD beta for Android

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fly Fishing Simulator HD beta for Android

Postby paul » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Friends,

Another beta version is available, this time for Android. You can download it directly to your Android device to install it. You may have to change a setting to allow apps to be installed. The exact steps may vary with Android version but: In Settings, More, Security, check the box "Unknown sources" before you install the app.

Changes since the Windows beta:

An options screen, moving those off the main menu.
Multiple skill levels in the options screen. Beginner is much easier than the fixed level in the previous beta.
A "Download Rivers" button. This beta acts as though you were previously subscribed for one week and are thus entitled to one river (the Blue River in Colorado.)
There's a button offering to let you register by email to get a free river (the Rogue River in Oregon.)
The "subscribe" button is not yet functional.
Misc. bugs have been fixed, including one causing certain buttons to be unresponsive.
This version will function through the 14th of the month. After that the app will run but fishing will be disabled.
File size is greatly reduced, from around 100 MB to under 60 MB.

You can download the app from here: http://www.flyfishingsimulator.com/ffshd.apk

I hope to release on Android by mid-month, so there's not a lot of time for major changes before the release, but I'd sure appreciate some testing and any feedback you may have.

The iOS release will follow shortly after Android. The Windows version may take a bit longer, due to complications with enabling in-app purchases. I'm considering offering a premium version, with no in-app purchases required and a subscription for a river every week indefinitely. On the mobile platforms there will also be some sort of one-time purchase available to get the indefinite subscription, though that will probably be done through an in-app purchase.

I also have some work to do to make the app support content created for RWFF. Here's what I have planned for that:

I'll release a content packing tool that will make a single file out of an outing, fish folder, etc. Content creators can use that to package content, then upload it somewhere on the web. To distribute those packages, one will need to setup a simple web page that just lists the available packages, with the description and URL for each. In the app I'll add a place to enter the URL of one more content list sites like that.

For the content consumer, getting those into the app will be a matter of entering a content list URL. Then each time the app is run, it will consult that list (or set of lists) to populate the collection of available downloads. From the download screen the user can scroll through the downloadable content, and just tap "download" to install a package. There's also the option to uninstall and/or reinstall packages.

Basically it's an extra step for the content creators to package their work and list it online, but it will be much, much easier for people to install and use that content. No more unzipping, or moving files around between folders.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Fly Fishing Simulator HD beta for Android

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:17 am

Hi Paul and Everyone:

Great news! I am currently using iPhone so I will wait for the iOS beta to test it. Nice features and improvements too. Can't wait. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby paul » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:45 am

The Android APK file has been updated. This is a release candidate, meaning nothing is disabled, except that the subscriptions won't work until I officially release the app on the Play Store.

Main changes:

The fish jump a lot more. And they look a lot better doing it. The tippet lines up with their jaws much better, they flip around and splash much more.
The line behaves better during bites. Strikes can be subtle, especially when nymphing.
The handling of sounds has been redone to improve performance and sound.
You can catch/spook all the fish in a hole by fishing it too long without leaving it, and the guide will point that out.
Subsurface flies are more likely to get bit when they're closer to the holding depth of the fish, especially on higher skill levels.
The line tension bar is now on top of the screen, so when playing on a phone or tablet your right thumb doesn't block your view.
There are some bigger fish in one spot on the Whitewater River.

As before, you can register to get a second river: The Rogue in Oregon, for some steelhead action.

I'm working on the iOS build now. I hope to release Android this week, and iOS this week or next week. I could release the Windows version next week, too, but full support for user-created content isn't complete yet.

On iOS and Android the plan is to offer a subscription for $2 per month that gets you a river every Saturday, or a one-time purchase for around $40 that will immediately give you all the outings I've published so far, plus the new river per week, for as long as I can keep cranking them out. I don't think I'll be able to sell it via a monthly subscription on Windows, so it will just be available for a one-time purchase. With that in mind I'll probably put it out for a while at a deeply discounted price.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:15 am

Hi Paul and Everyone:

That sounds great! Paul. I will have to wait for the iOS version or the Window version and just can't wait. Anyway you can make this new App compatible with older Windows OS's like the Windows 7? A lot of users are still using Windows 7 so they will be your future customers as well.

The changes sounded terrific and I can't wait to see everything working and in action. I love the fishing, the realistic scenes and the water flow. You have a real winner here. :P

I think $2 dollars a month is cheap for what you will get. If I were you I will make the price a bit higher. Even $3-4 a month is not unreasonable when compared to some of the popular online games. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing