Help! Need Advice

Questions about ordering, miscellaneous

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Help! Need Advice

Postby dcarp » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 pm

Dear Fellow Members,

I'm in need of some real life fishing advice. I took my pontoon raft to a small reservoir near home last evening and did a little fishing. Around 4:30 pm the fish started rising all around me. There were salmonflies, october caddis, tan sedges and midges in the air and dipping to the water. I'd been there earlier in the week bank fishin and hooked a 10 in. rainbow on a yellow stimulator, but I couldn't get a thing to hit last night. I tried every color stimulator I had, my caddis imitations, gnats, renegages, etc. - you name it, I chucked it out there! All suggestions and theories are welcomed.

What's got me so perplexed (and frustrated) is that I had an answer in my fly box for everything that was flying around, yet no hits. However, I could not tell for sure what the fish were rising for (some where coming out of the water a foot or so..) There were two fish in particular that dang near jumped into my lap. I was tempted to put down my fly rod and try catching them with my net! All suggestions and theories are welcomed.

My frustration is more of a curiosity about what the heck they were feeding on. It was either a very small midge that I couldn't see, or something just under the surface, possibly caddis or stonefly/salmonfly pupa? All suggestions and theories are welcomed.

I don't mind getting skunked, it happens to me a lot. But to get skunked when fish are jumping all around is disheartening, to say the least! There was actually a point when two fish broke the surface within 12 inches of my fly - one on each side of it! All suggestions and theories are welcomed.

Sincerely,

Dazed, perplexed, frustrated in Oregon (Dave)
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:44 pm

hello,
:lol:
(sorry)

1.) i do not have any serious answer
but...
2.) perhaps you should change your after shave
3.) switch off that electrical fishing device if you wanna catch them with your fly rod
4,) next time you are out, teke care that you do not drop your scotch bottle into the water again
5.) these fish are patriots, so leave your cubanian havannas at home

sorry, i could not resist - please don´t be upset and forgive me
:)
taupo_tiger

Postby Fishin Musician » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks for the laugh taupo_tiger.
Dave,
I also do not have an answer :( but I have and a few of my friends have had similar experience on Bowman's Creek, our TU chapter Stan Cooper Sr takes care of a 1mile streatch.
Fish are lined up like in a feeding line but will not take anything you offer, we are talking about 30 fish all in line but no matter what you offer they refuse. :x
It's a fly fishing only section so the dynamite...... :roll:
Fishin Musician

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Taupo and Fishin Musician,

Thank you for your wonderful advice! I think between the two of you I've got it figured out. The sctoch bottle did tip over in the pontoon saddle bags and it may have got the dynamite fuses wet. Either that or the flames shooting 10 feet in the air from the cuban's igniting my aftershave spooked the fish!

I do plan on turning off the electrical devices and using my fly rod..... once I get the "big cheater" button installed on my boat. That's gunna make it SO much easier.

Tight Lines,

Dave
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:13 pm

serious mode on.....

i know that a lot of flyfishermen now will turn their guns in my direction, but this is the point i guess i should let you know why i am a new zealand matuka streamer pattern fan

sorry to post such a long story

my grandfather was a pro hunter working on the estate in my home village
at the age of 4 i started hunting

although there is a creek having its spring in this estate - with a water temp of 8 degrees celsius in summer and winter, it was not until i have been ten that i started to fish

i started with natural baits, until a friend showed me fishing with mepps spinners
now i caught much more fish

one day i fished with my mepps when i met the longest licenseholder fishing on the opposite side of the creek

he caught a 20 inch rainbow in the hole i have been spinning half an hour - i still know if it had been yesterday

he showed me his baits - fished on a spinning rod and a normal reel - it was a new zealand streamer called taupo tiger

he lent me a book from norbert eipeltauer - the poineer of "new zealand pattern streamer fishing in austria" - and i nearly learned it by heart

later i bought this book and still own it

i tried to change the mepps to a taupo tiger - and i caught fish you would not believe

in those days there were three licenseholders on this creek - and each of them always answered : " no fish, we don´t catch anything"

the yearly license had a price of 800 schilling, which is today approx. 80 usdollars
the rules were: no natural baits, max, 4 fish per day
using taupo tiger i caught 4 fish a day, 7 days a week - and kept them
i fed the family, neighbors, friends, until they could not see trout anymore

that was the moment i started to release the trout

now i caught approx. 100 trout per week and they got bigger
i started with an average of 12 inch, now the av was 15, the biggest ones were 20 inches ( i still have records on this time, i had a catch book)

when someone asked me about the creek i answered the same like the old guys " Fishing is poor, very poor......."

this went for 5 years until the son of the owner once went fishing in this creek and caught 20 trout in a day without having any fishing knowledge

next year the license price was 3000 schllings - i was a student and could not spend so much money, so this time was gone

a few years later i had the money to buy such a license
but i did not catch anything

so i started to tie my own patterns

and now the real purists would like to kill me

i tied wet flies with a "parmesan body" - and look - - the river was not empty, only the trout became more difficult

it is blasphemy, but very hard cheese is an ideal body for various fly patterns

i had time to fish twice a week - and i caught approx. 20 trout a day with an av. of 18 inch (i swear) - all on my parmesan taupo tiger

the guys with their mepps did not catch the half of my av.

so - dear dave - if you really like to know - tie a parmesan streamer -or a normal one - and do what you won´t find in any flyfishingguide - use a streamer when the fish seem to want only dries

ps: at my present age of 42, i do not tie cheesestreamers anymore, but the new zealand patterns do still catch fish without this special body
taupo_tiger

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Taupo,

Are you serious about the "cheese" body!!!! You're talking about real cheese, right? Made from curdled milk, aged, moldy old cheese????

There are a several flies over here in the US that look somewhat similar to your taupo tiger fly in your avatar. Matuka style flies and lots of variations of the wooly bugger, egg sucking leach etc. I've never used those or streamer patterns. Guess I should give them a try. If that don't work, I'll head to the deli section of the grocery store and pick out a nice selection of cheese!

BTW - I really enjoyed your fishing history story. I think the "Parmesan Taupo Tiger" deserves to be in the "Art of Flytying" book in the clubhouse library!

Tight Lines,

Dave
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:15 pm

hello,

yes, i was talking about the cheese that is put on spaghetti

it is very hard and you use a metal device - i don´t know the english word - to receive tiny pieces on your spaghetti

for flies you buy a little block an cut the body with a knife

but again: these were my youth sins
:oops:
taupo_tiger

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Taupo,

The metal device you're reffering to is called a "cheese grater" over here.

There are no "sins" when it comes to catching fish (except using dynamite or poisons). I grew up in Southern Idaho on the Snake River and used just about anything for bait - worms, chicken livers, hot dogs, corn, bait fish, marshmellows, salmon eggs, etc. I am a long way from being a fishing purest here. If it legally catches fish, I'll try it.

I think using a cheese fly is a very ingenious idea! Maybe Massimo can hook us up with some really good cheese from Italy! Then again, Paul lives in the cheese capital of the USA - Wisconson. I think we should all work on some cheese flies - The Gouda Matuka, The Cheddar Damsel, The Colby Caddis, etc. :wink:

Tight lines and moldy curds to all!

Dave
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:48 pm

I think we should all work on some cheese flies - The Gouda Matuka, The Cheddar Damsel, The Colby Caddis, etc. :wink:

Tight lines and moldy curds to all!

Dave

i guess i earned this answer
taupo_tiger

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:05 pm

Taupo,

My apologies for making a joke at your expense. Couldn't help myself. I hope you weren't too offended.

Seriously though, I would like to know more information about the Taupo Tiger fly. Is it in the book you referred to? Did it originate in New Zealand or is it something that originated in Austria?

I would like to add a chapter to the "Art of Flytying" book in the Clubhouse Library. We've got a lot of US and UK flies in there now, but I'm sure there are numerous flies that are famous and originated in other parts of the world.

So far, I have information about the Swedish fly called the Rackelhanen, but I need a few more to add a full chapter to the book. Would you mind sharing some other flies with me?

Tight Lines,

Dave
dcarp

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:34 pm

hello,

i am not offended at all, quite the contrary, thx a lot for the tips for a few new patterns

concerning "taupo tiger" , also known as ""tiger ross"

this is an original new zealand pattern named after "lake taupo"

in austria there was a flyfisherman who tied and tried the new zealand patterns on all species and wrote a book in days when nobody else knew these patterns - since there is no english translation, maybe i will start one for private use

but originally the patterns are all "new zealand made"

if you are interested, you can "drink from the spring" here:

http://www.flyshop.co.nz/taupo.htm

http://www.flyshop.co.nz/page/F/PROD//tt

there i bought my first collection

my copies are not the best, i am a poor tier, but they catch fish

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... 0patterns/
taupo_tiger

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 pm

little ps:
the flies on the pics are the ones i send to john as a prize
taupo_tiger

Postby taupo_tiger » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:53 pm

taupo_tiger

Postby dcarp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:00 pm

Taupo,

Wonderful! Great addition to the prize pool. Can't wait for those to be up for the winning! I'll be working hard for those.

Thanks for the information about the Taupo Tiger fly and the Taupo region in New Zealand. That was very interesting. I should have the book updated soon.

Regards,

Dave
dcarp

Postby oppimax » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:17 pm

Taupo, Dave, :wink:

I'll look at the "parmigiano" in a different way! :lol: :lol:

Thx a lot!

Ciao
Massimo :D
oppimax

Next

Return to Other