windows 10

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

windows 10

Postby larweb5 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:04 pm

is there going to be an update for windows 10
larweb5

Re: windows 10

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:35 am

Hi larweb5 and Everyone:

I wrote Paul a couple days ago and asked him about some possible updates for Windows 10 as some of us may have trouble getting the RWFF software to work properly on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Paul responded almost instantaneously and with some great news. :lol: Paul said some of the old codes and ActiveX needed to be rewritten for the newer Windows systems and it will be quite an extensive job. Instead of patching and fixing the old software, he is now working on a brand new version of RWFF which will incorporate not only the codes that are compatible with Windows 10, it will include many new features and improvements. We will get better frame rate, higher resolution pictures and maybe even the ability to use actual HD videos in the outing building process. Paul assure me that the "new" version will be fully backwards compatible with any outings created using the older method. This is great news as over the years our outing builders have created over a thousand or more outings using the old RWFF software.

This all sounds very exciting to me and I am looking forward to seeing the new RWFF software. Knowing Paul's capabilities it will be a much improved and well thought out project. Paul said he will concentrate on building this new version this coming Winter and maybe it will be available sometime next year. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

excited

Postby larweb5 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:04 pm

this is such a great game i'm glad to see it progress.it will be hard to wait to be able to use it again.i hope the members will be sent an email when its ready.
larweb5

Re: windows 10

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Larweb5 and Everyone:

Yes, like everyone else I just can't wait for the new RWFF software made compatible with the new Windows 8 and Windows 10! :lol: RWFF is already such a great fishing simulator and it would be a shame that some of our members cannot use it because of compatibility issues.

However, I will share with you some of my own experience installing RWFF in Windows 8.1 and later the Windows 10.

A while ago I bought a new Lenovo laptop that had Windows 8 already installed. Just out of curiosity I installed a copy of RWFF into it. It wouldn't start up at first but after a little bit of fiddling around with settings and such, I finally got it to work!

Not all of the software made for the previous Window version worked, however. While the main RWFF software worked OK, I couldn't get the outing building tool, nor the fish building tool to work with the new Windows system no matter what I tried. So the good news is, the main RWFF software does work with Windows 8 after adjusting some compatibility settings. As most of you use the RWFF for fishing pleasure, this shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

When Windows 10 came out I got a little adventurous and updated my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Guess what? The RWFF software also worked in Windows 10. I can go fishing, use all the outings, and get a lot of pleasure from using it.

This is what you need to do to get RWFF to work on your Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.

1)First, create a "Games" (or whatever you want to name the folder) under the root drive "C", then install the RWFF software into that. In the old XP days one could just install RWFF right into the "C" drive and it would work OK. Not so with the Vista or the Widnows7 versions though. As I think the newer Windows version use the same architecture as the Vista and Windows7, you will need to install RWFF into a folder under the Windows directory.

2)After you do that and RWFF still wouldn't start up, or return some kind of error, right click on the "RWFlyFishing.exe" icon found in your main RWFF folder and select "Troubleshoot compatibility", A dialogue will come up and you can try using the recommended settings. Windows XP2 would be a good one to try first. If that still doesn't work, then try the other previous Windows versions on the list. If you get lucky the RWFF software will fire right up as before and everything should work properly.

3)One of the most frequent problems found with the RWFF not starting up are missing, or misplaced files. Those include fish, food and sound files. If you are missing some files the RWFF will not work. Make sure you have the RWFF folder installed properly first, e.g. under the "Games" folder, and then check for missing files once it starts up.

Over the years RWFF has grown from a fairly simply software into something very extensive with plenty of addons and additional files. To fish most of the outings that are called "custom" outings, you will need to download almost all of the new and available fish, food and sound files. You can find almost all of the new files in the Development Forum.

I hope you will have good luck try this first, if not please make a post here and I will try to help you if I can. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing