Anybody want to make New England outings?

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Anybody want to make New England outings?

Postby paul » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey, folks. My New England photo shoot has yielded the raw material for 27 new outings. There were a few that didn't work out (for example the Mad River was too foggy) but I added others that weren't on my list but were on my route. I have 8 stills and a few seconds of HD video from each site, and 8 or 10 sites for most outings. I plan to use the videos to make 6 frame seamless loops using the 48-6 frame method I worked out a few weeks ago. I plan to make these available as RWFF add-ons, and also as the content of a new HD New England edition of the Fly Fishing Simulator mobile version.

Would anyone be interested in making site and current maps for some of these? If so it will have them ready for RWFF faster than I could manage myself, plus speed up the creation of the new mobile edition. Yes, I'm basically asking if anyone wants to do some of my work for me. =) If there's one or more outings you'd like to work on please let me know and I'll do those first when working on producing the 6 frames from each video.

Here's what I shot:

In New Jersey:
Musconetcong River
South Branch Raritan River

In Connecticut:
Naugatuck River
Still River
Sandy Brook
Colebrook River Lake

In Massachusetts:
Farmington River
Westfield River
Swift River

In New Hampshire:
Lamprey River
Pemigewasset River
South Fork Pemigewasset River
Sabbady Brook
Swift River
Saco River
Ellis River
Cullhane Brook

In Maine:
Wild River
Androscoggin River

In Vermont:
New Haven River
Otter Creek
Emerald Lake
Batten Kill River

In New York:
Salmon River
West Branch Delaware River
Susquehanna River

In Pennsylvania:
Pine Creek

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Anybody want to make New England outings?

Postby wyldechylde77 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Very exciting Paul!! When do you need the outings completed by? I'm just curious because I really want to do a few but am worried about time contraints on my end. But, is that all you need are basically site mapdepth and current speed maps for each site? I can actually do that pretty quickly if we have to skip the step of making the 6 frames. So in a nutshell, basically you would send us the site pics of the ones we choose, we put the outing together (unencrypted) and send back to you to add the video?
wyldechylde77

Postby paul » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:47 am

I'll do the work of generating the 6 sites per frame from the video, and beyond that I'll take whatever help anyone feels like providing. That could be as little as making the current and depth maps, and I can do everything else. If anyone wants to complete an outing, researching the river and setting up appropriate fish populations and hatches, etc., and then release the outing for the Windows RWFF, that's fine too.

As is always the case some sites will turn out better than others, as lighting, floating foam or leaves, and just general photographic issues can ruin some sites. That's why I always shoot more sites than I intend to use. I hope to be able to pick 6 really good ones from each outing to include in the mobile version, where it's really important to keep the app size down. On the Windows side we can include all the sites that look reasonably decent.

Paul

PS - Yes, I did get to fish a little. I bought a one day license in New Hampshire and fished a bit on a branch of the Pemigewasset, the Swift, Saco, and Ellis Rivers and a couple of brooks. I caught some small but gorgeous brook trout, a pair of browns and one rainbow. Of all the places I saw the most scenic include the Pemigewasset, Ellis and New Haven, but if I had to pick places to go back and seriously fish, I'd probably pick Cullhane Brook based on the fact that the fish hit well there and I suspect it gets relatively little pressure, the Salmon River because it gets serious runs of Coho and Chinook salmon starting around this time of year, and Pine Creek based on the mayflies I saw hatching, numerous caddis fly larva on many rocks, stonefly nymph casings on the shore, minnows I saw in the shallows, and crayfish that seemed to be everywhere. I've never seen such a diverse and abundant collection of food for trout as I saw there.
paul
Site Admin

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am

I should be able to help you out a bit, Paul, since all you really need are the mapcur and mapdepth. As far as species go, how many do you want on each outing, and are you lookin for only trout and salmon species? And when do you need them by? I'll probably start off with the NY maps, especially the Salmon River as I am most familiar with it (and YES! You need to get there and fish as the salmon are currently staging off the Lake Ontario piers and will be making their spawning runs and day now! They are already running in the Lower Niagara River)
wyldechylde77

Postby paul » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 pm

I'll get the Salmon River pictures ready first. I haven't done my homework on species for many of these. I do know the chinook and coho run starts about this time of year. There were a few people showing up to scout the river when I was there but the fish weren't running yet. That made the photography easier. If they'd be running I might have extended my trip another day to take a shot at them. The heaviest rod I had along was a 6 weight, though, so while I might have had a shot at a coho the chinook would've ripped up my gear. =)

There's no rush on the outing work. I'm shooting for a December release, so there's plenty of time.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi Paul,

I can tell you right now from experience on the Salmon River that the most popular species are the ones found in there right now: Chinook Salmon (King Salmon), Coho Salmon (Silver Salmon), Atlantic Salmon, Brown Trout, and Steelhead. I'm gonna research a little further to see what else is in there, but if you are basing it on this time period (Fall), the above species would be the way to go! Also, send me the pics you want me to use to my email at dmarkley013@gmail.com. Thanks for this opportunity to help be a part of RWFF growth!
wyldechylde77

Postby paul » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Thanks for your help! I've put the images in a zip file you can download from here:
http://www.pishtech.com/salmon_river_images.zip

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Awesome. Thank you for the link, I will start as soon as I can. I assume email you the finished but unencrypted files to paul@pishtech.com or do you have another way you would like to get them?

I'll probably also do the Susquehanna River for you as well. That one should be one of the warm water fisheries, as there are abundant Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Muskie, etc.
wyldechylde77

Postby wyldechylde77 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:09 am

Hey Paul, just a little update for you. Sorry it's been a while since te last reply here, but I am having a bit of trouble with the Outing Tool. It seems to wanna crash when I change scenes. More than likely it's computer-related, meaning something is not agreeing with it. Am still trying to find the solution, will update when I do find it.
wyldechylde77

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:34 am

Hi Chuck:

I have had similar issues with my Outing Tool on my Windows7 64 bit machine. I finally got it to work part of the time by updating my graphics driver. Not sure if this is your problem but it might be worth a try. This problem showed up more often after I updated to the newer versions of RWFF. I am running V.142 now. I hope when Paul finds a little free time he might come up with a bug fix, or a more stable version? :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to RWFF Development