A New Mystery Fish For You...What is it?

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A New Mystery Fish For You...What is it?

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi Everyone:

As some of you may know there has been a death in my family and last week I was very downcast and depressed. Now that everything is over with life can go on as before. Today I built a new fish for your fishing pleasure. It is a very pretty fish. It lives in some very pretty and pristine cold watersheds somewhere in our world and can grow to a maximum of 29 inches. Do you know what it is? And where it lives?

Here are some pictures of the fish. Pay attention to the snout of this fish, it should give you some clues :lol:

I have a feeling that Chuck will figure this one out before too long! :lol: Please post your guesses on this thread. Thank you!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A New Mystery Fish For You...What is it?

Postby Ninjata » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:42 pm

hi everyone,

i think i know , what fish it means, its the (Salmo obtusirostris oxyrhynchus) ( in german weichmaulforelle), she lives in the rivers Drina, Neretva, Krka und Jadro (Bosnien, Kroatien, Montenegro und Serbien).

i hope i was right

greetings Ninjata
save the worms, fish with flies :)
Ninjata

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Hi Ninjata and Everyone:

Welcome back to the mystery fish guessing game. It has been a long time! :lol: Congratulations to Ninjata for making an excellent guess. Really appreciate you participating in our fun little game.

First off, please just let me say that I might have starting something a little confusing for everyone to guess here. Please read on.

Ninjata submitted his guess as the "Salmo obtusirostris oxyrhynchus", which is commonly known as Adriatic Salmon, Adriatic Trout, or Soft Mouth Trout. They live in all the places that you have indicated. In fact a while ago I made a "Jumping Adriatic Trout" and never got around to use it. Here are some pictures of the Adriatic trout:

However, the fish that I posted here has a different scientific name, it is known as "Brachymystax lenok", or commonly known as Asian Trout, Lenok Trout, Manchurian Trout and this fish is found in the North Eastern part of Asia in countries like Russia, Mongolia, China and Korea.

There are some very subtle differences between the two trout species. The Lenok tend to have a slight vertical coloration and hint of a color bar on its body, whereas the Adriatic trout has more prominent spots throughout its body. To tell you the truth it will take a very knowledgeable fish biologist to differentiate and identify the difference in the two fish. A fish biologist I am not! :lol: Just for comparison I will upload a couple of pictures of the Lenok here so you might be able to see the subtle difference.

As I have said before, I might have started a little bit of confusion here as the two fish are so similar. Ninjata made an excellent guess and my hat is off to him. :lol:

Both of these fish are considered as prize game fishes in their respective countries. I should have these fish swimming in the next couple of days. Martin might be able to use these fish in some of his outings pretty soon.

Sorry to spoil the guessing game for everyone by making this post. I thought I had better clarify the difference between the two fish as they are so similar in appearance. It is just not fair to allow the guessing game to go on further. :oops: My sincere apologies for that!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Ninjata » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:30 pm

hi,

lenok trout was my second coice, but the only picture i found was so different to your fish , so i take soft mouth trout to my first choice :)

greetings, ninjata
save the worms, fish with flies :)
Ninjata

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Ninjata:

Your original guess what a very good one. These trout do vary a little bit in color depend on their age and where they live. They tend to pickup a color that would provide them good camouflage for their surroundings. Anyway we will now have two very nice fish for our RWFF fish collection. I hope you will be able to catch them in one of Martin's new outing soon. Of course any outing maker are welcome to use them as well. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing