Random Scenes From Rio Negro Revisited

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Random Scenes From Rio Negro Revisited

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Everyone:

Most of our old members will still have fond memories of the great "Rio Negro" outing created by Cutch. It was a wonderfully innovative outing based on a very exotic fishing destination...the Rio Negro of Brazil. This very special outing also featured some very exotic fish...the ill famed Piranha and the hard fighting Peacock Bass. I still remember the outing description, it goes something like "...enjoy the bone jarring strikes of the Piranha and Peacock Bass!" Indeed it was a very enjoyable outing for that particular time. It was very well conceived and made and it will always be a classic in our RWFF outing archives. :P

As we all know RWFF has come a long ways since 5-6 years ago and I thought it would be fun to pay tribute to Cutch and revisit the Rio Negro again with our improved software and fish renditions. I have been working on this outing for a week or two now and enjoying the whole process of building a 2014 version of the Rio Negro. There will be several new fish included in the outing. Some of them will jump and some won't. For this outing I have built a couple of new Peacock Bass and also the giant Piraiba Goliath Catfish. This catfish is one of the largest catfish in the world and can grow to a length of 12 feet...or 144 inches! This is a real river monster but for our RWFF software I have set the maximum size to 80 inches.

Below you will see some random screen shots of the new "Rio Negro" outing. I took these screen shots during the building and testing process and I thought they looked pretty good and I would like to share them with you here. :lol:

I might still make some changes to the outing before the final release. What I want to achieve is to strike a balance between visual impact, fun and realism. Watch for this outing to come to a theater near you soon! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley

PS. Chuck, you might want to forward this thread to our good friend Cutch. I hope he will get to fish this outing when it is finished and released. :P
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Random Scenes From Rio Negro Revisited

Postby Cutch » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Wow, Stanley, I am so honored with your post,....thank you! Chuck notified me about it, thanks, Chuck.
Rio Negro was my favorite Outing of the ones I created. I had to email the guides that had the pictures,
stories, etc, that I needed and they had this posted on line.

About a year ago, I had my PC udated from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro, and I lost RWFF, so haven't
played it since. I think I have the original CD that Paul gave me. If I can find it, I will install it, but don't
have all the updates, fixes, etc, that I need. And, I don';t remember how to do some of this. Perhaps you
or Chuck might help me with this, because I would enjoy your updated Rio Negro Outing, I'm sure.
Thanks again, Stanley and Chuck.
Your pal, Cutch.

Update: I had the RWFF CD Delux Edition, and installed it.
Cutch

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Cutch, Chuck and Everyone;;

Cutch, great to hear from you! :lol: You are more than welcome and your genius and hard work deserves every praise I wrote about your fabulous Rio Negro outing. I am sure most of us have a collection of favorite outings in our minds. For me, the Rio Negro was certainly amongst my top three favorites. :lol: It was very inspirational for my later work in creating outings for RWFF.

Glad you have the basic RWFF installed into your new computer. After Windows XP, newer versions of Windows like Vista, Windows7 and Windows8, one has to put RWFF into a "games" folder created in the root directory before the game will work properly. I suspect you have done that already. Chuck wrote a great thread on how to install the various updates and patches and if you followed the sequence it will get your version to V.133, which is the stable version for normal play. If you would like to create some outings and fish again later you can go all the way up to (I think) V.144. There are still some unresolved bugs in the later versions and they are meant mostly for fish and outing developers. My personal reliable version is V.140 which seems to work just fine for creating fish and outings and also for applying some of the new settings.

Last year Paul gave us some new codes to use in fish and outing building.I found some of them worked well, while others still need some more testing. One of the great feature about these new codes is the fact that we can now control the jump frequency of the fish, and the jump height. In the new Rio Negro outing you will see some Peacock Bass jump clear out of the water by one body length! The S.A. Arowana, known as the River Monkey in Brazil, they say will jump as much as 4-5 feet out of the water but I have kept the jump height to a conservative setting, not wanting the software to crash and come up with the familiar "GR" error. :lol:

I have also built a couple (well, A FEW) :lol: new fish for the "Rio Negro Revisited" outing. There is a new Jumping Redtail Catfish, a couple of new Peacock Bass, the giant Goliath Catfish. Tonight I also built a new Amazon Piranha as the one that I had was too green in color, and too friendly in appearance and I wanted one that was more sinister and menacing looking. This is what I came up with and I hope you'll like it.

This is what I would like to do, please let me know once you have your RWFF set up to V.133 and I will send you a test copy of the "Rio Negro Revisited" for your testing and evaluation. Maybe you can give me some more insight and ideas on this great and mysterious river.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Cutch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:44 am

Stanley,
RWFF installed in Program files in a folder named "Pishtech".
I don't understand " After Windows XP, newer versions of Windows like Vista, Windows7 and Windows8, one has to put RWFF into a "games" folder created in the root directory before the game will work properly".
How do I do this?
And where is this post: Chuck wrote a great thread on how to install the various updates and patches and if you followed the sequence it will get your version to V.133, which is the stable version"?

It's been quite awhile since I did all this, and, I'm 78 years old and my mind is like it used to be. Thanks!

PS: I won't be creating any new Outings, it's been too long, and, Paul helped me a lot with my previous outings. (Thanks again, Paul)
Cutch

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:20 am

Hi Cutch:

Sorry but I forgot to paste in the line that takes you to Chuck's installation of the updates and patches. Here it is before I forget again! :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4925

In the old Windows ME and XP days (I think when RWFF was born) one just gets the old CD, or the online version of RWFF, and it will install itself into the default location on your hard disk. However, since Windows Vista, one has to install the RWFF into a special folder under "Program" such as what you did or the game will not work properly. I think this has to do with how the newer Windows version handles the files. If you have it in a folder under "Program" you are just fine! :lol:

I am only a few years younger than you. I think our body and minds have had a lot of mileage on them and it plays little tricks on us once in a while. Having said that, building something, whether it is an outing or a fish, is a great way to keep it greased up and running smoothly. If at any time, I mean any time at all, you would like to get back into a bit of outing or fish building, please let me know. I will be more than glad to help you. :lol:

Best Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Cutch » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks to Paul, I have the game updated to V142, and everything seems to be working.

Some questions, Stanley.
1. I want to dlowload and install my 3 Outing,...McKenzie. Umpqua, and El Negro. Where do I find them, and don't remember
the flies I created, and the sounds I used in these 3 Outings. Any help, folks?
And Stanley when you fisish your new "El Negro Outing", could you please include the sounds, flies, etc. (Everything I need besides the Outing),
when you send it?
Thanks
Cutcfh
Cutch

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:29 am

Hi Cutch:

Glad you got everything installed and running smoothly. You can still download your old outings by clicking on this link which will take you to the download section in the Club House. I downloaded your old Rio Negro outing last week and the link still seems to work just fine. :lol:

https://sites.google.com/site/rwffclubh ... -downloads

Richard was kind enough to keep the Club House open for everyone but some of the information might be out dated by now.

I am going to send you my email address via PM. If you could give me your email address I will package up the new "Rio Negro Revisited" for you to try in a couple of days. I still need to do some fine tuning on it before it is finished. All needed files will be included so you should have a trouble free install. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi Cutch and Everyone:

I am now down to the process of selecting the fish for Rio Negro outing and the task is a hard one. There are maybe 15-18 different kinds of fish that one may catch in the famous Rio Negro but I don't want to make the outing a "zoological" expedition either. I want to present the outing in such a way that will bring you good feelings, thrill and excitement of fishing the Rio Negro, rather than having you catch one of each fish in this outing.

There are also some practical problems in making an outing with both small and big fish. If you were to use, say medium size tackle so you can enjoy the medium and large fish tugging on your line, making long dashing runs and maybe make a spectacular jump or two as it fights for its life, then you hook into that monster fish upward of 60 inches and you will not be able to handle it. If you start fishing with too heavy of tackle in anticipation of catch that huge fish, then all the smaller (by comparison only) fish like the Piranha, the Peacock Basses, the Bicuda, etc will not be given a chance to show what they are capable of doing and you would just winch it in like a jumping twig. No good either.

Remember how hard it was to land a 24 inch Rainbow or Brown in the Nelson Spring Creek tournament with a 4wt rod and 7x leader? Having the right size of tackle for the right sized fish will bring out the best out of the fish and the outing.

So, as a solution to this problem and trying to arrive at some kind of compromise. There will be scenes where there are good size fish but no monsters. In a couple of the scenes there will be some real monsters! If you get hooked up with something that feels like a run away submarine, then it is time to use a heavier rod and thicker leader. You will need to use your experience and good judgement on where you think will hold a big fish and change your tackle according to what you see in the scenes. :lol:

I will be working with several of the fish that I have during the next couple of days and try to come up with an interesting combination of sizes, fighting characteristics and capabilities. Hopefully by the end of the day I will end up with a right selection that when combined together, will give you guys a great fishing experience on the Rio Negro.

Here are some pictures of the Bicuda fish found in the Amazons. It is a pike like fish with an interesting snout, a surface feeder and very aggressive in chasing down its prey with sharp teeth. In SA they called this fish freshwater Baraculda and for good reason. It is opportunistic, speedy and very aggressive when foraging for food. A good Bicuda can grow to 34 inches in length and this fish will be a good game fish on a medium size tackle.''

There is still a lot of work to do but I should be able to get a trial copy out to Cutch over the weekend. Cutch is a very knowledgeable fisherman and outing maker and I would love to hear what he has to say about this new Rio Negro outing.

Best Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Cutch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Looking good, Stanley, can't wait to try this Outing.

I now have all my Outings working but my Rio Negro and McKenzie River. I can't remember what fish, food, and sounds
I used so, I'm adding those items now. I did get my Umpqua River Outing to work tho. Thanks for the help, Stanley and Chuck.
Cutch

Postby Cutch » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Ok, thanks to Stanley, all is well. I had my Rio Negro and McKenzie river Ouiings inside
another folder, that's why they were not showing up when I opened RWFF. Everything's working now.
Cutch

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:16 am

Glad you got all of it working, John!! Post pics (using Fraps or whatever for screen capture) and show is your catches!! Yes, things are a but quieter here than on the other forum we frequent hahaha, but there is no less of enthusiasm for sure!
wyldechylde77

Return to Real World Fly Fishing