Jumping Largemouth Throwing A Fly!!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Jumping Largemouth Throwing A Fly!!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

Thanks to Chuck's suggestion quite a while ago, I built a Jumping Largemouth Bass with two different sets of bitmaps. When the Largemouth swims under the water surface, it has its mouth closed. However, when the fish is hooked and jumps through the water surface, the Bass would have its mouth wide open. Those who have caught a Largemouth will be familiar with this phenomena. Most of the time the Largemouth will jump out of the water (after it has been hooked), shaking its head from side to side to try to dislodge the discomfort lodged in its mouth. Sometimes they succeed in dislodging the bass plug, lure or fly when they do this.

Tonight I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the skin color right on the Largemouth. The file that I did before had too much of a yellowish tint to it and it didn't look good to me. After playing around with a spare file I thought I finally got it right. So I put the new Largemouth into the Scene 1 of my "Fishing With the Big Boys" outing and got a real surprise!

I soon hooked a nice size Largemouth in the 30 inch range. I allowed it to run, to fight and do jumps just so I could see the new color effects on the fish. I played it for about 5 minutes and was about to reel it in, satisfied with what I saw. Guess what? The Largemouth did exactly what a self respecting Largemouth would do. It shook the fly loose and threw it back at me!!!

Have a look at this picture here. The streamer fly has been encircled in Yellow color. :lol: I thought it was pretty cool! Talk about realism! :lol:

Of course I can't guarantee that the fish will do this when you fish the outing. It is entirely up to Paul's genius and the fish's will. :lol: All I know is we have one heck of a good software in RWFF and we are right to love it.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Jumping Largemouth Throwing A Fly!!

Postby rwwalleye » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:41 am

Hi Stanley,
It looks like another job well done. The fish looks good. To bad he threw the hook on you. Turned out to be a great screen shot. Roger
rwwalleye

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:24 am

I love this! Certainly your perfect, stereotypical Largemouth battle scene! Set that hook with more authority next time, Stanley!!!! LOL!!
Seriously tho, I love the fact that this idea came to fruitition. As we had talked about in the past, it's just not right when fighting a Largemouth or Smallmouth bass to see them jump out of the water with thier mouths closed. Especially in the case of Largemouth, that big, open mouth while fighting is basically their signature. Was really glad when Stanley took on the task of tryin to recreate that, even moreso when the results were released. Now that there are even further improvements, I really cannot wait to see this guy and battle him in all it's Bucketmouth glory!! Nice job Stanley!
Is there any chance you can post more pics of it like you do when it's a brand new fish? Would really love to see how you worked with the colors and the animation
wyldechylde77

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Chuck and Everyone:

That was a great idea after banging our heads together and we got the Jumping largemouth Bass with a wide open mouth. :lol: I would love to share some of the stuff that I do in building this Bigmouth Bass but it is quite involved and beyond my script. A while ago I thought about make a YouTube fish building video tutorial but soon gave up on that idea as it will entail hours and hours of recording and editing and I would probably have to break it up into six to eight parts. Most people have an attention span of maybe 3 minutes so I thought it would not be worth my time to do it. :lol:

Actually to make the Largemouth swim with its mouth closed, and jumping with the mouth wide open required two different sets of builds. The first one was a normal Largemouth with mouth closed, the second build I used, of all things, a fiber glass fish mount that I found on the internet. One would never be able to catch a Largemouth jumping, showing all of its body and fins, in HD!

After I built the second fish with the open mouth, I combined the two different sets of animation files into one Largemouth file. The profile (horizontal) pictures are of the normal bass, the jumping and rotating files belonged to the second fish that I built. After doing this we end up with a fish that has the proper Largemouth swimming and fighting action.

Here are some pictures of the Largemouth with the open mouth. I reworked the yellowish tinted one and make it lighter, more green and gave it a bit more contrast. Thought it came out pretty well.

Image The original came out a little too yellow

Image The reworked one is more greenish and looks
better!

The two fish side by side.

This is the classic Largemouth scene... just before it threw the fly back at me. :lol:

Sure, I could have settled with the first version, but it bugs the heck out of me when something doesn't look right. Fortunately some of the guys on the Forum do care about this and this is good! :lol: This is what keep the game growing and getting better! Hope you have enjoyed seeing the build pictures.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing