Eastern US photo shoot for RWFF

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Eastern US photo shoot for RWFF

Postby paul » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Hey, folks. I thought I'd let you know about a product roadmap for RWFF.

First of all, I'd been hoping to see Gideros, the development system I use for the mobile versions of the games, add the ability to produce applications for the Windows and Mac desktop operating systems. That's been on their roadmap, but now Gideros is going free and open source. What that means for features that had been planned is hard to say. If at all possible I'd like to eventually have one version of RWFF/FFS that is almost identical whether you're on Windows, Mac, Android or iOS.

With or without that, I do want to start preparing for the next generation of the game. I want it to be backward compatible, so content created for the current RWFF will still work, whether sites are animated with 3 or 6 stills, or with an HD video loop. From this point forward I plan to shoot all new locations in both stills and HD video. I'll be bringing my daughter to the eastern US for college in September, and after I drop her off in New Jersey I'm planning to work my way through New England to shoot a bunch of new locations. I bought a new camera for the shoot, and have learned how to edit video of flowing water into a seamless loop, so I'm eager to start building some more content. Perhaps the results of this shoot may go out for mobile platforms as a New England Edition of Fly Fishing Simulator, and I could share the photos with outing developers if anyone wants to make outings from them for the current RWFF. Whenever I've got the code done to support HD video loops instead of stills, I'll have the videos ready for that too.

Does anyone have any spots they recommend in the Northeastern US? I've already got a list of candidates, but I'd like to hear your suggestions too.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Re: Eastern US photo shoot for RWFF

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi Paul:

The RWFF road map sound very exciting. :P The ability to use multi HD photos or video clips will be a real boost to the visual senses and will improve our game immensely. However, I do think it is important to make the new versions backwards compatible as we have built a lot of contents using the older versions. :P

I have only one Eastern Stream suggestion for you. One cannot flyfish through the Eastern States without visiting the fabled Battenkill River in Vermont. It is a beautiful wadable stream and a lot of it are privately owned. There are still many public access points available to the visiting angler though. Many years ago I had some business with Orvis and became friends with Leigh Perkins, the owner. Leigh had a stretch of the Battenkill on his estate and invited me to fish there. I actually showed up a day before our office appointment and set out to explore the Battenkill by myself. It was a windy, cloudy day with a big rainstorm but I found a really nice stretch of the river by the side of the road and set out to fish with a 4wt rod and 8x leaders. To make a long story short I had a decent day of fishing on this difficult stream and my biggest fish was a 22 inch Brown Trout that inhaled my size 24 midge fly at the end of a long slick pool. It took me a while and I finally landed it in a lightening storm. I met Leigh at the Orvis shop the next day and after some business talks he asked me if I'd wanted to fish the Battenkill. I told him I went fishing the day before and he was very curious and asked how I did. I told him I caught a few fish, including a nice Brown trout around 22 inches. He was very surprised and told me that this fish would have been considered a trophy trout on the Battenkill! I didn't think much of it then because the 22 inch Brown would have been an average size Brown on the Yellowstone River in Montana. :lol:

You will love the Battenkill and its surroundings. It is not a big fish stream but it has all the elements of fine, classic trout fishing in the old sense. Outwitting the wary old trout with fine leaders and ultra small flies can be a challenge, and a lot of fun. Anyway the Battenkill has been written about in many classic flyfishing books and should be a good venue for your Eastern fishing trip as a lot of Eastern flyfishermen are familiar with this very famous classic trout stream.

Good luck and take some great pictures! Looking forward to seeing what you did! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 am

Hi Paul,

As a native of the Northeast, I can give you a couple of ideas. If you'd like to gather some info before you pay a visit to any of these areas, I'll do my best to help you. I can of course start out with the areas I fish that are well-known throughout the world. Here in Western New York, we have the world famous Salmon River, and another highly prolific waterway, Oak Orchard Creek. Both of these are very well known, and have outstanding fishing in spring and fall for King Salmon, Coho Salmon, Steelhead, Rainbows, big Brown Trout, and are very popular with fly anglers. There is also Cattaraugus Creek, another well-known area that is popular for Steelhead, Brown Trout, and Brook trout. Also, they support warm water
species as well, such as (at least in Cattauraugus) high concentrations of Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike/Muskie. There are also many, many other lakes, ponds, rivers, and creeks in my area, but let's broaden the horizons a bit. For warm water species, the Susquehanna River in NY/PA is tough to beat, as is the Allegheny River and reservoir. As Stanley said, the Battenkill area is a beaut as well and also very popular. That's all I can come up with for now. Obviously, I can have more personal info about local areas, and if you need any more help I'll be glad to dig up what I can.
wyldechylde77

Postby paul » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I think the Battenkill is a must, with my tentative route already bringing me very close, and I've heard great things about Oak Orchard so I should try to get there too. I'll read up on the Salmon River and Cattaraugus. Can you suggest specific access points for shooting these waters?

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi Paul:

I think the best thing to do is to drop by the fantastic Orvis shop there and ask for directions. They are usually very helpful and courteous to traveling fishermen there. Might have to pick up some size 24-26 flies. They give you tweezers to do that! LOL

Actually I had excellent fishing with a size 14 Royal Wulff in the rain. The fish there are so used to seeing small and exact imitations that they were curious about this outlandishly big gaudy fly with the hair wings. The late great Dan Bailey told me about this and it seems to work. :lol: When nothing is working, give them the Royal Wulff! Same might be said about the ungainly Wooly Bugger too. :lol: The fish there don't speak Latin, only the fishermen do. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:43 am

paul wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I think the Battenkill is a must, with my tentative route already bringing me very close, and I've heard great things about Oak Orchard so I should try to get there too. I'll read up on the Salmon River and Cattaraugus. Can you suggest specific access points for shooting these waters?

Paul

Hi Paul,

The Salmon River I'm not too sure as there are a TON of access points. I guess I could say that really the closer you are to Lake Ontario the better for the Salmon River. Oak Orchard Creek from Point Breeze to the town of Medina has great access. Here is a NYDEC link for you for Oak Orchard Creek: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... orchrv.pdf

Actually, here is the same for Cattaraugus Creek (affectionately called "the Catt" here in WNY): http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... elhead.pdf

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... hosmer.pdf

I usually fish around the Zoar Valley area, down by the dam in Springville.

Finally, here is a start for you on the Salmon River: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37926.html

NYDEC map: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... rivpfr.pdf

I hope this helps a little bit. Of course, if needed I will find more info for you.
wyldechylde77

Postby paul » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've got my route through New England planned out and will set out later this week. Conditions permitting I may shoot 20 or more rivers in 8 states in 3 1/2 days. Now comes a difficult decision: I won't have time to do much fishing with all the driving and photography to do, but I may add a day to dedicate to fishing. Not sure where yet, but I'd like to fish some water with good sized brookies. I'll share some photos when I return.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Cutch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:21 pm

This is all very exciting, Paul, can't wait! Time for my happy dance.
Cutch

Postby paul » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Hey, folks. I've completed the New England photo shoot for RWFF. After 8 days on the road and 3600 miles on the van I came home with over 32 GB of photos and videos. I shot 27 rivers, streams and lakes. I'll post more details on the Development forum, but suffice to say this will add a lot of northeastern US waters to the game.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Cutch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:33 pm

Great, Paul,....can't wait to fish those new streams :!:
Cutch

Return to Real World Fly Fishing