Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition Uploaded!

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition Uploaded!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi Everyone:

It took me a while but I have just finished the Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition for your fishing pleasure. I did the original outing about three years ago. The Nelson Spring Creek is one of the best known trout fishing streams in Montana. It is a private stream owned by the Nelson family in the Paradise Valley and it has long been one of my favorite streams. The water is not deep but gin clear. You can see the fish and they can see you as well. There is always an abundance mayfly hatches during the early morning and noon hours. The fish are plentiful and you can see them in plain sight...however, catching them is another story!

The trout in the Nelson Spring Creek are extremely wary, selective and angler savvy. They all seem to have a degree in angler avoidance, even the smaller ones. However, if your fly is presented with stealth, gentleness and a perfect imitation of the hatching mayfly, the trout will sometimes reward you with a good strike! I said sometimes because I have made many of what I thought was perfect presentations to the trout and they would just follow the fly very gently , have a close look and then reject it. It is sometimes very maddening. :P

Along with the Silver Creek in Idaho, the Nelson is considered to be the "Graduate School of Flyfishing" and according to my past experience on this stream, this statement is not exaggerated. I can catch 40-50 nice trout on the Yellowstone River in an average day of fishing, but a 5 fish day on the Nelson would be considered a great success! Also there are big brown trouts living in the Nelson that has been around for many years. One evening just before dark I tied on a big Marabou Muddler (usually a good tactic late in the evening as the big fish will be foraging for minnows in the shallows) and cast the big streamer out to an undercut bank on the opposite shore. I then made a quick jerky retrieve and in the fading light, I saw a huge wake following my Muddler. Don't slow down when this happens as you want the fish to become interested and to chase it. So I retrieve the fly even faster and what I saw was truly inspiring and quite unforgettable. There was this huge head at least 5 inches wide, with dark spots on it the size of a dime. Unfortunate I was running out of line to retrieve by then and I had to raise my rod tip to give it the extra few inches of movement. No more room to retrieve, the fly stopped, I stopped and the fish also stopped. We looked at each other in the eye for a second or two. The big fish turned and swam away from me with dignity. That was one of the biggest Brown Trout that I have seen in Montana and Montana is famous for big Brown Trouts! I still get goose bumps every time I recall that scene. I went back to the stream several more times later in the season and I never saw it again!

Enough hypes and you have seen the video I uploaded on YouTube. Now you can click on this link to download the Nelson Spring Creek Collect Edition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3is4b74an4dnz ... Folder.zip

Within this zip file there is one outing folder and six fish files. The Jumping Brown Trout Dark and the Jumping Mountain Whitefish are new fish species that you may not have. For simplicity sake just put all those fish into your fish folder and when asked whether to replace the old files just click year. I also made a couple of caught picture changes to the Jumping Brown Trout folder so if you replaced the old file you will also get the new caught pictures. Don't worry, I wanted everyone to enjoy catching fish in this outing so I didn't make it as difficult as the real Nelson Spring Creek.

To welcome our new members from Poland I have decided to hold a Mini-Challenge Tournament for two weeks. Here is the deal!

1. This will be an Outing Challenge tournament. (there are 10 sites in the challenge mode). The highest score for the Challenge will win!
2. The Challenge will be done in Experienced Mode. Using 4 wt rod and 7x leader. (this is the typical tackle used on the Nelson Spring Creek.)
3. The outing will last for two weeks. Starting on June 11 and will end on midnight June 24 EST of the USA.
4. All members are welcome to participate but before you can play in the challenge, you have to register with Roger as a member of the Virtual Fly Fishing League.(the official tournament sanctioning body of the RWFF Forum). Registrations is easy and free. Just give you name, the country where you live and that is about it.
5. You must post your score image, and caught codes on the Forum or your entry will not count. Please send your caught codes to Roger for official verification. Any score not done with the designated rod weight and leader size will be disqualified from winning the Challenge.
6.The winner of the Challenge will win a nice prize donated by myself.
7.In the unlikely event of a dispute, the decision of the VFFL Committee will be final!

We have had some very close competition and exciting tournaments before and I fully expect this one to be very competitive. Good luck and if you have any questions re the tournament, please post them on the RWFF Forum.

Best Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition Uploaded!

Postby Anguis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:30 am

Just saw this - thanks, Stanley! I'm looking forward to fishing it. I was checking through the forum to see what's up. I'm very happy to see a bit of what I missed. Much appreciated!
Someday, we'll get back to Yellowstone. . .
Anguis

Re: Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition Uploaded!

Postby Yellowstone7 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am

Hi Anguis:

Good to see you back again after what seemed a long time. Glad to hear you do check in once in a while and see that we have been doing. Are you still in the Minneapolis area?

I think you will enjoy fishing the Nelson Spring Creek Collector Edition. I updated this outing with our newly added 6 frames per cycle for animation and it looks a lot better than the old version done with the 3 frames. In fact we just had a nice tournament using this outing and everybody had a great time fishing it with 4 weight rod and 7x leader. I would suggest that you try this tackle combination for maximum realism and enjoyment. With a light rod and 7x leader even a 24 inch Brown Trout will give you the fight of your life. :lol:

A lot has happened to RWFF since the last time you checked in. We have some great new members, tons more new outings and many new fish species added. When you have time please check them out and give them a try. Your comments on the Forum will be greatly appreciated as well. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing