Time to Update Some Trout Species Sizes

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Time to Update Some Trout Species Sizes

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 am

Hi Everyone:

I saw Barns' post re Wojtek's Brown Trout sizes for the Kwisa River in Poland and decided that maybe this is a good time to have a good look at some of the older fish records listed in the Club House, and this might be a good time to do some needed updates on the "legal" fish sizes. Barns was right about using the maximum size of fish in our outings for tournament and record purposes. However,some of the fish sizes listed in the Club House are no longer up to date, and some may not be correct for all fishing situations.

The RWFF software that we all used and loved is now about 7 years old. When first released it consisted mostly of small streams and some big rivers based in the US and the biggest fish available was a Steelhead (Sea Run Rainbow Trout) at 48 inches. As time goes by, a lot of additional outings and new fish species have been added since the first release of RWFF. Now we have over 1500 outings and more than 400 different fish species available to our anglers. Many of the new outings are based on international rivers and streams all around the world. While this is great news for our RWFF members, this also caused some of the old fish records to be outdated.

Before we go on any further, I would like to thank Martin for keeping a meticulous list of all fish sizes for our Forum members. You can download the fish size list via this link. This will give you some idea as to what sizes are "legal" to use in our RWFF outings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wio5sugpnfcg ... -06-14.rtf

As the fish list is very extensive and updating all the records will take a long time to do. I thought while the Brown Trout is still fresh in our minds, we shall have a look at these trout species first. (Note: All the new sizes are based on information gathered from Wikipedia search and Fishbase, two of the most respected fish size authorities in the world.)

These are the old fish sizes found in the Club House:

Brown Trout= 30 inch

Rainbow Trout= 36 inch

Brook Trout= 20 inch

Cutthroat Trout= 26 inch

These are the new sizes verified by Wikipedia and Fishbase

Brown Trout= Stream dwellers= 39 inch Sea Run= 55 inch

Rainbow Trout= 47 inch (including Steelhead and Sea Run)

Brook Trout= 34 inch (including the Sea Run and Lake)

Cutthroat Trout= 39 inch (including the Sea Run Cutthroat)

It will be up to the outing maker to decide what size of fish to use in his outings to achieve a reasonable sense of realism for that particular fishing situation. Fish sizes can vary a lot depended on the fish habitat, quality of water and the available of food as well as fishing pressure. Some trout species can grow to huge sizes in an ideal lake situation where there is plenty of open water and shelter, and food is abundant and little angling pressure. I will give you an example here. In most of the smaller streams in Montana and Idaho, a small 22-24 inch trout might be considered a real trophy to catch. But on the Mighty Yellowstone and Missouri Rivers, you can expect to catch some big trout in the 34-36 inch range. If I had put a 39 inch Brown trout or Rainbow Trout in the Nelson Spring Creek it would not have represented a real fishing situation even though, technically, the fish is of legal size. I would advise you to do a bit of research on the body of water in your outing before you decide on the fish sizes. :P

We live in a fast changing world and our lives are all about updating on a daily basis. I would appreciate it very much if you saw some fish sizes that needed updating, please post your thoughts on this Forum and we will look into it and will try our best to keep everything up-to-date.

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy post. This concerns all of us, whether we fish only for fun, or we compete regularly in tournaments sponsored by our VFFL.

Best Regards,

Stanley

PS. If you have any questions or suggestions re this topic please post them here.
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Time to Update Some Trout Species Sizes

Postby Scottish Warrior » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Stanley and Everyone,
I am in total agreement with Stanley on this one,an update is long overdue.
I have looked through the following Fish Species we use and basing my thoughts on Outing Creators Fish Sizes
in the Outings already available I think the following should be left at the Sizes Quoted already::Alvord Cutthroat Trout = 18",
Bonneville Cutthroat Trout = 30",Greenback Cutthroat Trout = 18",Kamloops Trout = 48", Lahontan Cutthroat Trout = 39",
Paiute Cutthroat Trout = 10",Rio Grande Cutthroat Trout = 16",YSCutthroat = 26",Fine Spotted Cutthroat = 26",
Tiger Trout is 36" which may grow larger as with Ferox Trout = 39" and Cutbow = 29",so maybe a little discussion may have to take place
to find these correct sizes,as long as we are all in agreement as too Species Sizes which we will use,I do not see any
problems and the decision as to which sizes to use in a Specific Outing should be down to the Outing Creator as long as the Sizes
are within the sizes used in RWFF,this will enhance our game and add a little more reality,to an ever growing/developing game.
Please Post Your Thoughts or Comments as we need all the input we can get to find the correct solution to this Sizes Dilemma
and move forward once more in keeping this Game the" Best on the Market ".
Regards To All,
Tight Lines,
Martin aka Scottish Warrior.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby Boston Bob » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:29 am

Hi everybody: First of all I agree with Stanley and Martin that some of our old Clubhouse fish sizes need to be updated.
A ton of work went into the Clubhouse by Richard and Brian but as the information is many years old it does
need to be reviewed and perhaps some need to be revised.

This sounds like an enormous project that Roger may be willing to tackle. Roger, I will be willing and able to
help you if you desire to tackle this endeavor. Anybody else that can help, your input would be invaluable.

I have been searching the web for Freshwater World Records and so far I came up with this list.
Now, all our fish are shown in inches: Over here in Massachusetts, we usually boast about our catches
in pounds: ex: 5 pound bass, usually not a 30" bass, etc.

This listing is in pounds and ounces and is official. It also shows where and when and who caught the record fish.
It's pretty interesting but I am still searching for records in inches. Fish Base uses cm as their measurement.

Here is the list of Freshwater Fish: Enjoy, Boston Bob

Freshwater World Records For Fish
Fisherman's View welcome you to the Freshwater World Records For Fish. We have the world records for all the types fish in fresh water.
Our Fishing World Records are official world record fish caught in freshwater. So enjoy your visit at the Freshwater World Records.
List of World Records For Fish Caught In Freshwater

http://www.fishermansview.com/freshwate ... r_fish.htm

" World Record Fish are categorized alphabetically and in lbs and oz "

Freshwater World Records For Fish

Type of Fish Weight of Fish Fish Caught By Location  Date
Alligator Gar 279lbs Bill Valverde Rio Grande, TX 2-Dec-51
American Shad 11lbs 4oz Bob Thibodo Conn. River, S. Hadley, MA 19-May-86
Apache Trout 5lbs 3oz John Baldwin White Mountain, AZ 29-May-91
Arctic Char 32lbs 9oz Jeffery Ward Tree River, Canada 30-Jul-81
Arctic Grayling 5lbs 15oz Jeanne P. Branson Katseyedie River, N.W.T. 16-Aug-67
Atlantic Salmon 79lbs 2oz Henrik Henriksen Tana River, Norway 1928
Barramundi 63lbs 2oz Scott Barnsley Queensland, Australia 28-Apr-91
Bigmouth Buffalo 70lbs 5oz Delbert Sisk Bussey Brake, Bastrop, LA 21-Apr-80
Black Buffalo 55lbs 8oz Edward H. McLain Cherokee Lake, TN 3-May-84
Black Bullhead 8lbs Kani Evans Lake Waccabuc, NY 1-Aug-51
Black Crappie 4lbs 8oz L. Carl Herring Jr. Kerr Lake, VA 1-Mar-81
Blue Catfish 111lbs William McKinley Wheeler's Reservoir, TN 5-Jul-96
Bluegill 4lbs 12oz T.S. Hudson Ketona Lake, AL 9-Apr-50
Brook Trout 14lbs 8oz Dr. W.J. Cook Nipigon River, Ontario July, 1916
Bowfin 21lbs 8oz Robert L. Harmon Florence, SC 29-Jan-80
Brown Bullhead 5lbs 11oz Robert Bengis Cedar Creek, FL 28-Mar-95
Brown Trout 40lbs 4oz Rip Collins Little Red River, AR 9-May-92
Bull Trout 32lbs N.L. Higgins Lake Pond Orielle, ID 27-Oct-49
Burbot 18lbs 11oz Margit Agren Angenmanelren, Sweden 22-Oct-96
Butterfly Peacock 10lbs 8oz Larry Larsen Raraima, Brazil 21-Mar-94
Carp 75lbs 11oz Leo van der Gugten Lac de St. Cassien, France 21-May-87
Channel Catfish 58lbs W.B. Whaley Santee-Cooper Res., SC 7-Jul-64
Chain Pickerel 9lbs 6oz Baxley McQuaig Jr. Homerville, GA 17-Feb-61
Chinook Salmon 97lbs 4oz Les Anderson Kenai River, AK 17-May-85
Chum Salmon 35lbs Todd Johansson Edye Pass, Brit. Columbia 11-Jul-95
Coho Salmon 33lbs 4oz Jerry Lifton Salmon River, Pulaski, NY 27-Sep-89
Cutthroa41lbs Johnt Trout Skimmerhorn Pyramid Lake, NV December, 1925
Dolly Varden 18lbs 9oz Richard B. Evans Mashutuk River, AK 13-Jul-93
Dorado 51lbs 5oz Armando Giudice Corrientes, Argentina 27-Sep-84
Flathead Catfish 91lbs 4oz Mike Rogers Lake Lewisville, TX 28-Mar-82
Flatwhiskered Catfish 9lbs 4oz Cavour Pieranti Rio Paraquai, Brazil 11-Sep-96
Florida Gar 21lbs 3oz Jeff Sabol Boca Raton, FL 3-Jun-81
Freshwater Drum 54lbs 8oz Benny E. Hull Nickajack Lake, TN 20-Apr-72
Giant Tigerfish 97lbs Raymond Houtmans Zaire River, Kinshasa, Zaire 9-Jul-88
Gilded Catfish 85lbs 8oz Gilberto Fernandes Amazon River, Brazil 15-Nov-86
Gizzard Shad 4lbs 6oz Mike Berg Lake Michigan, IN 2-Mar-96
Golden Trout 11lbs Charles S. Reed Cooks Lake, WY 5-Aug-48
Goldfish 7lbs 2.4oz John Wiseman Lake Tawakoni, TX 6-Jun-12
Grass Pickerel 1lbs Mike Berg Dewart Lake, IN 9-Jun-90
Greater Redhorse 9lbs 3oz Jason Wilson Salmon River, Pulaski, NY 11-May-85
Guadalupe Bass 3lbs 11oz Allen Christenson Jr. Lake Travis, TX 25-Sep-83
Inconnu 53lbs Lawrence E. Hudnall Pah River, AK 20-Aug-86
Kokanee 9lbs 6oz Norm Kuhn Okanagan Lake, British Columbia 18-Jun-88
Lake Salmon 18lbs 4oz Steve Robinson Lake Tanganyika, Zambia 1-Dec-87
Lake Sturgeon 168lbs Edward Paszkowski Georgian Bay, ON, Canada 29-May-82
Lake Trout 72lbs Lloyd E. Bull Great Bear Lake, N.W.T. 19-Aug-95
Lake Whitefish 14lbs 6oz Dennis M. Laycock Meaford, Ontario 21-May-84
Largemouth Bass 22lbs 4oz George W. Perry Montgomery Lake, GA 2-Jun-32
Longnose Gar 50lbs 5oz Townsend Miller Trinity River, TX 30-Jul-54
Mountain Whitefish 5lbs 8oz Randy G. Woo Elbow River, Alberta 1-Aug-95
Muskellunge 67lbs 8oz Cal Johnson Hayward, WI 24-Jul-49
Nile Perch 213lbs 8oz Adrian Brayshaw Lake Nasser, Egypt 18-Dec-97
Northern Pike 55lbs 1oz Lothar Louis Lake of Grefeern, Germany 16-Oct-86
Pink Salmon 13lbs 1oz Ray Higaki St. Mary's River, Ontario 23-Sep-92
Rainbow Trout 42lbs 2oz David Robert White Bell Island, AK 22-Jun-70
Redeye Bass 8lbs 12oz Carl W. Davis Apalachicola River, FL 28-Jan-95
Redfin Pickerel 2lbs 4oz Edward C. Davis St. Pauls, NC 27-Jun-97
Redtail Catfish 97lbs 7oz Gilberto Fernandes Amazon River, Brazil 16-Jul-88
Roanoke Bass 1lbs 5oz Tom Elkins Nottoway River, VA 11-Nov-91
Rock Bass 3lbs Peter Gulgin York River, Ontario 1-Aug-74
Round Whitefish 6lbs Allan J. Ristori Putahow River, Manitoba 14-Jun-84
Sauger 8lbs 12oz Mike Fischer Lake Sakakawea, ND 6-Oct-71
Sharptoothed Catfish 79lbs 5oz Hennie Moller Orange River, S. Africa 5-Dec-92
Shortnose Gar 5lbs 12oz Donna K. Willmart Rend Lake, Ill 16-Jul-95
Silver Redhorse 11lbs 7oz Neal D.G. Long Plum Creek, WI 29-May-85
Smallmouth Bass 10lbs 14oz John T. Gorman Dale Hollow, TN 24-Apr-69
Smallmouth Buffalo 82lbs 3oz Randy Collins Athens Lake, TX 6-Jun-93
Sockeye Salmon 15lbs 3oz Stan Roach Kenai River, AK 9-Aug-87
Speckled Peacock 27lbs Gerald (Doc) Lawson Rio Negro, Brazil 4-Dec-94
Spotted Bass 9lbs 9oz Kirk Sakamoto Pine Flat Lake, CA 12-Oct-96
Spotted Gar 9lbs 12oz Rick Rivard Lake Mevia, TX 7-Apr-94
Striped Bass (landlocked) 67lbs 8oz Hank Ferguson O'Neill Forebay, San Luis, CA 7-May-92
Suwannee Bass 3lbs 14oz Ronnie Everett Suwannee River, FL 2-Mar-85
Tiger Muskellunge 51lbs 3oz John A. Knobla Lac Vieux-Desert, WI-MI 16-Jul-19
Tiger Trout 20lbs 13oz Peter M. Friedland Lake Michigan, WI 12-Aug-78
Tilapia 6lbs 5oz Marvin C. Smith Lake Arsenal, Costa Rica 10-Feb-95
Walleye 25lbs Mabry Harper Old Hickory Lake, TN 2-Aug-60
Warmouth 2lbs 7oz Tony D. Dempsey Guess Lake, Holt, FL 19-Oct-85
White Bass 6lbs 13oz Ronald L. Sprouse Lake Orange, VA 31-Jul-89
White Catfish 18lbs 14oz Jim Miller Inverness, FL 21-Sep-91
White Crappie 5lbs 3oz Fred L. Bright Enid Dam, MS 31-Jul-57
White Perch 4lbs 12oz Mrs. Earl Small Messalonskee Lake, ME 4-Jun-49
White Sturgeon 468lbs Joey Pallotta III Benicia, CA 9-Jul-83
Whiterock Bass 27lbs 5oz Jerald C. Shaum Greers Ferry Lake, AR 24-Apr-97
Yellow Bass 2lbs 4oz Donald L. Stalker Lake Monroe, IN 27-Mar-77
Yellow Bullhead 4lbs 4oz Emily Williams Mormon Lake, AZ 11-May-84
Yellow Hybrid Bass 2lbs 5oz George Edwards Kiamichi River, OK 26-Mar-91
Yellow Perch 4lbs 3oz Dr. C.C. Abbot Bordentown, NJ May, 1865
Zander 25lbs 2oz Harry Lee Tennison Trosa, Sweden 12-Jun-86

PS: I tried to paste this as an Excel spreadsheet to no avail: Sorry....
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Postby rwwalleye » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm already on it Bob, this should be an enjoyable task. I'll find all of them and have them put into inches. Hope everyone has a good week and I will bring updates as I go along. Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi Everyone:

THANKS GUYS! This is the really fantastic thing about this Forum. When something needs to be done everybody pitches in to help. :lol: :lol: With Bob and Roger's expertise this will be a done deal in no time at all. I am sure all of our members will appreciate your hard work. My hat is off to you guys once again. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby Barns » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:52 pm

Sorry Guys

But i must be odd one out, I don't agree with 39 or 55 ins Brown Trout. When a Brown Trout gets to that size in Scotland it becomes a Ferox Trout. Unless a fishery has bred the Brownie it takes years for it to become of any large size.

Catching a Brownie at 8 to 15 is great fun in real life. If you manage to catch something bigger its a huge bonus. But to catch something at 39 or 55 seems ridiculous.

These are just my thoughts, but is up to each individual how they think.

Think you need to have closer look at sizes, i have article if you are going down this route the largest Brown Trout caught is 41-pound, 8-ounce brown trout as the all-tackle world record.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi Barns and Everyone:

You made a good point but you were talking about catching Brown Trouts in Scotland. We have outings in our RWFF library covering all corners of the world and the Brown Trout, or the Rainbow Trout and other Trout species do get much bigger than 8-12 inches. I spent a day fishing Lake Totorua in New Zealand a few years ago and caught about 30 Rainbow Trout in a days' fishing. None of the fish I caught weighted less than 3 pounds, with the largest one weighting 10 pounds or more. Sure, in some smaller streams you might catch smaller fish but that doesn't mean the big fish don't exist in other parts of the world.

If you fished in Alaska for the Sea Runs you are expected to catch some huge Browns and Rainbows and that is not ridiculous. But as you said, everyone has the freedom to choose his own reality. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:28 pm

Just wanna chime in here real quickly. Uncle Barnsie, I get what you are saying, but keep in mind that Browns and Rainbows get MUCH larger in other parts of the world. For example, you don't even have to go as far as Alaska. We have big Brown trout here in NY:

Lake Ontario Sea-Run Brown Trout, 40"

Another Lake Ontario Brown, 42"

A 55" Sea Run Brown trout is not out of the question. These are not exactly common, but not uncommon either. Sometimes, especially in the case of trout, length doesn't equal weight. I mean heck, an 18" Steelhead can weigh 3 lbs, small one. But an 18" Smallmouth Bass can weigh 4-5lbs, almost monster.
Bottom line, the lengths that these guys are talking about are realistic and certainly do happen. That said, it is also up to the outing creator to keep things realistic as well and not go overboard. For example, I know Lake Trout can reach a length of 55-60" and weights of almost 70-80lbs (big ones are more commonly in the 55lb range though). If I'm creating an outing that contains Lake Trout and I've done my research on an area, let's say the Lower Niagara River here in NY, I'd know that the most common Lakers here would run 25-45", with the really big ones being in the depths of Lake Ontario. With the odd exception, I would keep the Lakers in my outing to no bigger than 45", even though I know they get bigger. But my outing is not based on Lake Ontario, it's based on the Lower Niagara River, so I would limit it to 45".
In a small stream, let's be honest, you are very rarely going to find 39" Browns or Rainbows. Maybe 25-27", but not 39" unless they are in from the Lakes or seas on a spawning run, which in case you can catch some massive fish in skinny water. But commonly, the rest of the year, most stream dwellers do not reach large size. Most Brook Trout live their lives no bigger than 12", with brookies in open water, such as the Algoma region in Ontario, Canada, can get much larger, like 8-10lbs at max. That's MASSIVE for Brook Trout!!
wyldechylde77

Postby Barns » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi All

Could i make a suggestion that the Brown Trout is left as is , but create a new fish called Sea Run Brown Trout.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi Barns and Everyone:

Like I said before, it is up to the outing maker to determine the size of the fish that he uses in his outings. If you think a smaller fish is appropriate for the body of water in the outing, by all means use that size. However, this does not mean there aren't bigger fish in other locations around the world.

Currently our maximum size for the Brown Trout is only 30 inches. We KNOW there are bigger fish caught than our top limit. I therefore would like to see our maximum size increased to 39 inch for stream dwellers, and 55 inch for Sea Runs.

Below is a list of record Brown Trout caught in the US listed by location and State. I don't think our current maximum of 30 inches will cover all fishing situations here. Please note that some of these large fish were caught in inland reservoirs and streams, and they are not Sea Runs. :P

Here is a picture of a 35 inch Brown Trout caught recently in the Big Hole River in Montana. So these large fish are found in inland rivers and Montana is about 700 miles from the Pacific Ocean! :lol:

Here is an interesting picture of the world famous Dan Bailey Wall Fish at the Dan Bailey Fly Shop in Livingston, Montana. On the wall are silhouettes of Big Browns and Rainbows caught in the nearby Yellowstone River. Avid flyfishermen around the world would travel to Livingston in the hope of catching a big "Wall Fish". There are some mean and big toothy critters in that Yellowstone River. :lol:

Regards,

Stanley

State Fishing Records - Brown Trout

State Weight Length Location Angler Date Photo
Alberta 21 lbs 14.2 oz Waterton Reservoir 2012
Arizona 22 lbs 14.5 oz 36" Reservation Lake Bryce Sisson 8/6/1999
Arkansas 40 lbs 4 oz Little Red River Howard Rip Collins 5/2/1992
California 26 lbs 8 oz Upper Twin Lake Danny Stearman 4/30/1987
Colorado 30 lbs 8 oz 36.4" Roaring Judy Ponds Alan Schneider 1988
Connecticut 16 lbs 14 oz East Twin Lake Samuel Wright 1986
Georgia 18 lbs 6 oz Chattahoochee River Charles E. Ford 11/12/2001
Idaho 27 lbs 5 oz 36.5" Ashton Reservoir Wes Case 11/6/2007
Illinois 36 lbs 11.5 oz Lake Michigan Deva Vranek 6/22/1997
Indiana 29 lbs 03 oz 39.75" Lake Michigan Glen Duesing 4/2/2006
Iowa 15 lbs 6 oz 29" North Prairie Lake Gerold Lewis 6/1995
Kentucky 21 lbs 0 oz Cumberland River - Lake Cumberland tailwaters Thomas Malone 4/30/2000
Maine 23 lbs 5 oz Square Pond Robert Hodson 3/6/1996
Manitoba 0 lbs 30.88" Laurie Lake 2010
Maryland 18 lbs 3 oz North Branch Potomac River - at Barnum Gary Kuhn 8/3/2001
Massachusetts 19 lbs 10 oz Wachusett Reservoir Dana Deblois 1966
Michigan 41 lbs 7.2 oz 43.75" Manistee River Thomas Martin Healy 9/9/2009
Minnesota 16 lbs 12 oz 31.4" Lake Superior W. Landis Bullock 6/23/1989
Missouri 26 lbs 13 oz Bull Shoals Lake Rob Caudel 11/10/1997
Montana 29 lbs 0 oz Wade Lake E.H. Peck Bacon 1966
Nebraska 20 lbs 1 oz Snake River Denny Doolittle 7/26/1973
Nevada 27 lbs 5 oz 33" Cave Lake Dennis Mangum 1984
New Hampshire 16 lbs 6 oz 32.5" Connecticut River Ken Reed Jr. 7/4/1975
New Jersey 21 lbs 6 oz Round Valley Reservoir Lenny Saccente 1995
New Mexico 20 lbs 4 oz 34.5" Chama River C.T. Colgrove 7/9/1946
New York 33 lbs 2 oz Lake Ontario Tony Brown 6/10/1997
North Carolina 24 lbs 10 oz Nantahala River Rober L. Dyer 4/17/1998
North Dakota 31 lbs 11 oz Garrison Tailrace Tim Johansen 2/1/2005
Ohio 14 lbs 10.8 oz 27.25" Lake Erie Robert B. Campbell 7/14/2012
Oklahoma 17 lbs 4 oz 32.75" Mountain Fork River Jason Archie 4/10/2005
Ontario 34 lbs 6.08 oz 38" Lake Ontario near Mississauga Richard Matusiak 9/9/1994
Oregon 28 lbs 5 oz Paulina Lake Ronald Lane 2002
Pennsylvania 19 lbs 10 oz Walnut Creek Fazle Buljubasic 2000
Rhode Island 7 lbs 9 oz 26" Wallum Lake R. Groleau 4/2000
Saskatchewan 17 lbs 12 oz Piprell Lake 1987
South Carolina 17 lbs 9.5 oz Lake Jocassee Larry Edwards 1987
South Dakota 24 lbs 8 oz Canyon Lake Wilfred H. Huether 12/9/1990
Tennessee 28 lbs 12 oz Clinch River Greg Ensor 8/30/1988
Texas 7 lbs 1.92 oz 24" Guadalupe River Jeff Delong 2/7/1986
Utah 33 lbs 10 oz 40" Flaming Gorge Reservoir Robert Bringhurst 1977
Vermont 22 lbs 3 oz Sherman Reservoir Barry Bouker 1990
Virginia 14 lbs 12 oz South Fork Holston River Mike Perkins 5/24/1990
Washington 22 lbs 0 oz Sullivan Lake R.L. Henry 5/22/1965
West Virginia 16 lbs 0 oz 32" South Branch Paul Barker 1968
Wisconsin 35 lbs 1.9 oz Lake Michigan unknown 9/8/1996
Wyoming 25 lbs 13 oz 34.25" Flaming Gorge Reservoir George Rose 1982
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby wyldechylde77 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Guys, we already have the Sea Run Brown Trout available. Stanley made it last year, and I used it in my Niagara River outing. ;)
Sea Run Brown Trout;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5017

Niagara River outing (plus info)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5205

Sea Run Brown Trout discussion
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5016

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5012
wyldechylde77

Postby Jyndrek » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Stanley , Hi Martin , Hi Bob , Hi Roger , Hi Barns , Hi Wyldechylde and Everyone:

Hello All of you after a failure of my grandfather the PC computer . Stanley very interesting topic, :P not only about the sized for trout but the length of the fish in yours
a beautiful simulator. RWFF is a realistic simulator Fly Fishing, therefore, created by the me of the first outing problem of findings proper fish sizes is very important.
Therefore much time I devoted to the analysis of of fish which are caught in Poland and notified by several decades of records in the Polish Angling Association- "PZW"
http://www.ww.media.pl/?page=Structure&id=19 . I present a table calc with the the translated to English names of fish and backcalculated
lengths and weights, and the years of catch and the lengths at maximum RWFF Image
In the south Polish where I live and distance of one from another rivers is approximately 50 km (~ 31mile) Wisla & Sola, the difference between the size of of the brown trout is very large. Even when of equal length, the fish of the Sola has more weight. And comparison of the northern Polish - West Pomerania this difference is even greater. This concerns also grayling, brown trout and of lake, rainbow for trout and brook and of other fish . I also find that the an exaggerated in length of fish enlarging created Outings does not match the with the philosophy of RWFF as a realistic simulator. Because catching the a fish biggest in a given country happens very rare occasionsin most fishes are large or medium-sized
As shown by our last the competition on Nelson's Spring Creek catching trout 24inch and it was a achievement that nobody on 28inch did not succeed :lol:
I think is at the computer attitude on as much as possible a real fishing without a of fish of specimens of, whose on real water does not exist, it should take you most to enjoy
Catching the as biggest the fish to the most delicate set .
Martin thank you for this list, will greatly facilitate me further work on my first outing and above all a huge help Stanley-THANK YOU :P
Wyldechylde THANK YOU you for the beautiful outing on a river in Niagara Falls, beautiful views - certainly so in the evening we will visit :P

Most Reagards All

Andrzej(Jyndrek)
Jyndrek

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi Jyndrek and Everyone:

Glad your computer problems are over and you are back with us again! :lol: Thank you for posting a very interesting list of fish from Poland. I went over your list very carefully and it is very interesting to compare the different fish to our RWFF records. By and large we are pretty close in most of the species. :P

As fish builders for RWFF, before we finish the fish files and decide on the maximum length of the fish we usually do a search on Wikipedia or Fishbase. I myself would use the maximum size listed in those two sources. I do think no matter how careful we are about realistic sizing of fish, the "realism" still rests with the outing maker to decide on what size fish they would find in a certain outing. Just because the Brown Trout (stream dwellers) gets to a maximum size of 39 inches, it would have been inappropriate for me to put it into the Nelson Spring Creek as it is a small stream and such a large fish would not be found there . The 39 inch Brown would have been more appropriate for a Big River, like the Yellowstone or the Missouri River in the US, or Alaskan Waters and some deep inland lakes. If we do an outing based on waters that we are not personally familiar with, we usually do some research of the river and the fish before we decide what fish, and what sizes to use.

I know you are working on your first outing, and knowing how meticulous you are about details, I am sure it will be very authentic with the proper fish in it. We can't wait to see it and if there is anything that we can help you with finishing your first outing, please let us know. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing