Fish Going Off Screen Issue Mentioned by Barns

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Fish Going Off Screen Issue Mentioned by Barns

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:54 am

Hi Barns and Everyone:

I got a PM from Barns this morning complaining about some fish (usually big ones) would take the fly, make a strong run, and then get hung up on the right side of the screen and cannot be retrieved. This is an old issue (there are MANY old thread on the Forum about this) and should have been fixed in V.133 but this problem still pops up once in a while and leaves the anglers very frustrated. While this problem is awaiting a solution by Paul, please let me give you some insights into the problem as some of our new members might not be aware of it.

When the original version of RWFF was released, it consisted of mostly fresh water outings of small streams and rivers. The maximum length of fish belonged to the Steelhead Trout at 41 inches. The heaviest available tackle was a 10 ft, 12w rod and 0x leader (rated at 16 lb). As Paul wanted this to be a realistic fishing simulator this is the appropriate size tackle for big fish like the Steelhead.

However, As time went on and outing makers added salt water outings with bigger and bigger fish a problem surfaced....the Fish Going Off Screen syndrome. The huge fish would take the fly, run off to the right hand side of the screen and hide under the Tension Bar, and cannot be landed. There were many threads and discussion about this problem as it seemed the bigger fish has over stretched the original design and intent of RWFF and something had to be done to accommodate the problem of catching, and landing of the bigger sized fish.

Subsequently Paul made some code modifications to RWFF to help alleviate this problem, and added the heavier tackle (e.g. 30 leaders) to help the angler tackle the big aggressive salt water fish like the Tuna, Tarpon, etc. These modifications are available within V.133 and later versions.

I am not a software designer and what I say here may not be 100% accurate. This is what I have found in using the RWFF software for many years as a user and outing maker.

The problem of "Fish going off to the right" will happen if the following conditions are true.

1.The fish size is too big for the size of tackle used and the fish cannot be turned or controlled by the angler. This happens also in nature and is a real fishing phenomena. (Have you ever "chased" a big Steelhead or Salmon down the river bank on foot as you can't turn the fish with your rod?)

2.If there is a defect in the drawing of the mapdepth bitmaps. e.g. openings or holes in the drawn line delineating the dry surfaces and water edges.

3.Sometimes an overlapping line between land and water lines co-exists in the mapdepth bitmaps. (I found leaving a small gap between the land and water line will help solve this problem) in the drawing of bitmaps.

4.Special mapdepth bitmaps can be drawn to help alleviate this problem. I did some experiments with drawing different bitmaps and this is one that I used in a test outing.

In the depth map, the purple line has a depth value of 0 ft. (defining land or dry area) The orange line has a value of 8 feet, and the green line has a value of 2 feet. As you see in the bitmap I defined the overall water depth with a green line (2 ft), But I also created a deeper area towards the center of the scene with an orange line, making the depth there at 8 feet. So in this scene we have a deep area toward the center and left side of the scene, and a very shallow depth (2 ft) to the right side near the Tension Bar where the fish tended to run off. In my tests if I set the big Tuna or Tarpon to a preferred depth setting of 4-6 feet, the fish will begin moving to the left hand side of the screen after a short period of fighting and will not go off to the right side as we mentioned earlier. This is not a solution to the problem, call it a patch if you want to. With this mapdepth set up I was successful in land fish at 100 inches with the old regulation sized 12w and 0x leader tackle.

5.Last year Paul issued a few modification code lines that we can insert into the RWFF fish and outing def. files.This is one of them.

FIGHTING DEPTH=100

(100 is the default setting value, not the depth value. A setting less than 100 will tell the fish to fight in shallower water, more will be in deeper water)

By putting this line under your fish group you can tell the fish to seek either shallower or deeper water when fighting. This modification is available for versions after V.133 as it is intended more for the outing makers and not the general user. More tests will need to be carried out before I can confirm that this will work as it should.

Anyway, the Fish Going To The Right will always be a charming little quirk to our existing RWFF software. If this happens you'd know that you have caught a bigger fish than what your rods and lines can handle and you will just need to break it off in the end. As real life fisherman we have all experienced this before and we all know that sick feeling in our stomachs but that is fishing reality and we have to accept it. :lol:

As I mentioned in the previous posts, there are several big 28 inch Brown Trout in some of the scenes. If you ever hooked into one of those and can't land it with your 7x leader, do not despair as everyone might also be having the same problem as you so this is fair. Personally I have hooked into many big Brown and Rainbow Trout in the Nelson Spring Creek in real life fishing and was not able to land them as there are plenty of heavy weed beds and underwater branches and logs and the big experienced trout seem to know how to find them and to avoid being captured. This is just part of a good fishing day!

I hope this will help to shed some light on the "Fish Going Off to the Right" problem for you, especially our new members from Poland. :lol:

Plesdr post on this thread if you have additional comments. Thanks for reading this longish post.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: Fish Going Off Screen Issue Mentioned by Barns

Postby Scottish Warrior » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi Stanley and All,
As a follow up to Stanley's very good description of this problem,I have also noticed whilst building Outings with
Sunset Scenes included,you may find that when you draw the mapcur lines using the Orange Med Fast 255 153 0 - FF9900 Colour
you may find that when you Fish the Site your Line or Fly may deviat from where you expect it to flow,this is caused by the colour of
the sunlight conveyed on the water being the same colour-code as you are using for your mapcur Line,you will see this to it's best or
worst effect in a Challenge Outing Site 09 in an Outing I will post later this Summer.
I have not found a cure for this other than making the Current Slower or Faster(Using different colours) which on some sites would not give you the desired effect
and make the site not as true as you could possibly get.
Hope this helps a Little if you find this problem.
Regards and Tight Lines to All,
Martin aka Scottish Warrior.
I am so glad to be part of this
Scottish Warrior

Postby Boston Bob » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi Stanley and all: I have run into this type of problem fishing the Nelson Creek challenge.

Twice this morning I fought a large fish on site # 5. The fish runs to the bottom LEFT of
the screen and it is lodged like it is under a ledge. Nothing I can do will free it from that point.
I let line go free, tighten it up nothing works it doesn't move.

I am averaging 20" per fish through site 4 and then get this hang up on 5.

Like Stanley said " this happens in real life too."

I'll give it one more try later.

Boston Bob
Fishing isn't all I do, but it's what I like to do best !
Boston Bob

Postby badger040 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:35 pm

hi all
Barns,Boston Bob---------anyone
what fly you using
i cant buy a fish over 24.43 and in total i have only had the pleasure of feeling 2 out of the thousand or so fish that i have caught during this challenge on my line
you can wait til its over if you like :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards
Badger040
badger040

Postby Barns » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Badger

I could send you a couple of flies if you wish to experience this problem. :lol: My biggest landed is only 24.42.

Barns
Barns

Postby badger040 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi barns
I'm up for it :P :P
Regards
Badger040
badger040

Postby rwwalleye » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:06 am

Hi Everyone,
I haven't had the problem of fish getting stuck, but I must have latched on to some of the big boys. All they go is take the fly, make 1 or 2 runs and take off and snap the line. Roger
rwwalleye

Return to Real World Fly Fishing