A Common Carp (golden) For Your Fishing Pleasure

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

A Common Carp (golden) For Your Fishing Pleasure

Postby Yellowstone7 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone:

Things have been very quiet on the Forum of late so I thought this is a great time to develop some new fish for your future fishing pleasure. I looked over the Common Carp fish files that we had and I thought the other two that I did were a bit too dark and lacked the golden shine that these carps sometimes have. I set about making a new golden version and I thought it turned out pretty well. Carp is a desirable game fish in Europe and Asia but they are considered "invasive" and sometimes called a trash fish in the US. However, during the past few years fisherman have come to realize the sporting value of this beautiful fish and many fisherman go after these fish with a renewed passion. Carps are taken mostly by bait and sometimes even by bow and arrow.It is a guarded secret that these strong fish can be great sport when taken with a flyrod, fishing with a sunken nymph under the right conditions. One of my friends who go after these big carps with a flyrod once said this, "I thought my fly had snagged on the rocks on the bottom but after some tugging the bottom moved! These fish have the stamina of a miniature submarine!". That pretty much describes the sensation of hooking into a large carp with a light and limber flyrod. :lol:

The Maximum Size for this fish is 43 inches!

Here are some pictures of the new Golden Common Carp.

As these fish are widely distributed our outing makers will be able to use them in many of their new outings. Have fun catching this great fish! :lol:

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Re: A Common Carp (golden) For Your Fishing Pleasure

Postby FlyManJoe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Stanley,

Excellent job on this fish. The details are awesome especially the mouth.

I think people who call carp "dumb"or "trash fish" haven't caught one. they get big, fight hard, and are one the smartest freshwater fish there is. yes they can ruin the environment of the water they are in by the way they feed. but they are a great sport fish. Once again great job on the fish.
FlyManJoe

Postby Yellowstone7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Joe:

Thanks! I am glad you liked the Carp. You are so right about Carp being one of the smartest and strongest fish there is. There is a big back eddy by a highway bridge on the Yellowstone River and in this giant deep pool there is a population of these big carps, with the biggest one in the 40-50 pound class. I tried for days, if not weeks trying to catch one of these with a fly and I did not succeed. The water was gin clear and the fish could see me coming and going. They spooked very easily and they bite very gently. I was finally able to catch one with a Vanilla scented dough bait on a small size 14 hook using my flyrod. The secret formula for the dough bait was given to me by an expert Carp fisherman living in Scotland! Carp fishing is considered an art form in Europe. Just look at the number of delicate little quill floats that they have for these fish then you would know that these Carps, especially the more experienced and bigger ones, are very finicky and hard to catch.

Where have you finally settled now? Are you in Kansas or still up in Canada. It is always a pleasure to hear from an old friend. Do keep in touch once in a while even if you are too busy to get back into RWFF for the time being. :P

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby FlyManJoe » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 am

Hi Stanley,

those 40-50 lb carp be awesome to catch especially on a fly. the carp I fish now are in the mighty red river of Manitoba, where I will be living for a year or two. Then back to Kansas (hopefully). The red river is a great fishery with a host of different species. Some great carp fishing. I was out a few days ago soothing the soul. I was drifting large nymphs size 8-12 and dead drift intruder patterns at the Look Port Dam, managed a few carp hook ups. Only on the nymphs though (then again I didn't expect a carp on my intruders). Carp + fly reel = music to my ears, super long runs makes that drag scream.

I gathered a few pictures of the water for an outing but I didn't land a fish so no pics of fish. however I am having troubles with RWFF I have a post in the tech support section. I don't know if you could but if you could please let me know. Also things for are almost back to normal so I will be posting at my regular paste soon.
FlyManJoe

Return to Real World Fly Fishing