Niagara River, NY now available (with goodies!!)

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Niagara River, NY now available (with goodies!!)

Postby wyldechylde77 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:44 am

Hi guys,

Its been a long task, but I can finally bring to you guys my newest outing, the mighty Niagara River. You will be fishing for all types of different species, warm water and cold water with a few surprises. Here is a pic of the entire river, from Lake Erie to the South all the way up to Lake Ontario to the North:

It is a large river, shared on either side by the state of New York and Ontario, Canada. It has two different makeups, known as the Upper Niagara and Lower Niagara. Oh, and of course, it just happens to be the home of one of the Wonders of the World, Niagara Falls! The Falls is the point that splits the river into the Upper and Lower. Here is a Google Earth pic of Niagara Falls, with the American Falls and Bridal Veil falls being the smaller ones, and the huge one is known as the Horseshoe Falls, on the Canadian side:

The two sections of the river are vastly different, with the Upper Niagara supporting a very diverse group of mostly warm-water fish species, and the Lower supporting mostly cold-water species. Certain times of the year, you can catch strange mixes of species. I have fished this river nearly my entire life, and I can say with much experience that you really never know what you are gonna catch. In the spring and fall, it is not uncommon to catch a Steelhead and a Muskie from the same stretch of water. Still, others have adapted to the river in other ways that work for them. I have set this outing to reflect October 10, so expect some out of the ordinary catches!!
As I said, I have fished the Niagara River virtually my entire life, and can tell you from an angler's POV that there isn't a much more exciting time to fish than the fall. The main inhabitant of the river is the Smallmouth Bass, and the Upper river is at times seemingly teeming with them. But be on your toes. There are also big Muskies and Walleye on the prowl. The closer you get to the Falls, the river's makeup starts to change and so do the species. Steelhead, Sea Run Brown Trout, and Lake Trout begin to show up the closer you get to the Falls. But, October also brings a major change to the Lower Niagara as well. In the fall, the giant King Salmon and Sea Run Coho Salmon make their way up the river from Lake Ontario en route to their spawning grounds. This is always an exciting time to fish. The Salmon run also brings in monstrous Sea Run Brown Trout, Steelhead, Rainbows, and Lake Trout. Its very easy for an angler to suddenly find himself with his hands full, almost overmatched if you are not careful. In fact, a couple of my personal bests have come from the Lower Niagara, from various shore sites such as Art Park and Devil's Hole. I had a tough time trying to carry a 35lb King Salmon up a mile worth of stairs in Devil's Hole!!
Ok, time for the bread and butter. You'll be fishing in various scenes from both the Upper and Lower Niagara, and of course, you'll pay a visit to the Falls! Watch it though.....VERY large fish have been reported in the waters below the Falls (illegal to fish obviously LOL) from the Maid of the Mist (tour boat) captains! Think you can land one? ;-) Overall, I hope you guys enjoy this outing. Stanley did a terrific job on the new fish models, and they look and fight great in the water. Catch some giants, post some pics, but overall HAVE FUN ON THE NIAGARA RIVER!!! Download can be found in this thread

In this outing, you'll be fishing for:

• Jumping King Salmon
  • Jumping Sea Run Coho Salmon
  • Sea Run Brown Trout
  • Jumping Walleye
  • Jumping Lake Trout 2
  • Jumping Smallmouth Bass
  • Yellow Perch
  • Rock Bass2
  • Jumping Muskie
  • Jumping Tiger Muskie
  • Channel Catfish
  • Jumping Pike
  • Jumping Steelhead
  • Jumping Steelhead Red
  • Jumping Rainbow Trout
  • Lake Sturgeon
  • White Sturgeon

Lots o' beasts there!! Enjoy!

*Side note: If there are any issues with the outing, I will correct as soon as I can. My computer is being taken down after I write this to get ready to pack away for my move tomorrow (Saturday). I will be without Internet access until Tuesday. I will have access on my phone though.
wyldechylde77

Re: Niagara River, NY now available (with goodies!!)

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Badger and Everyone:

Welcome back after a long absence! I took a last look on the Forum before going to bed and found your post re Green Drake. Looks like you either don't have the Green Drake in your food folder or the file is corrupt. No worries however as you can download a fresh file via this link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/734 ... nDrake.zip

Just unzip it and put the file into your "food" folder and you will be good to go. Hope others are not having this same problem. :P

Happy Fishing!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Real World Fly Fishing