Ready to shoot some new waters?

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Ready to shoot some new waters?

Postby Guest » Tue May 02, 2006 4:47 am

Quite a few folks have expressed interest in photographing local waters to add to RWFF. At least in Wisconsin this time of year is a great time for photography. How about where you are? Read the photography guidelines (see the link in the forum thread about adding new waters), grab your camera and a tripod, and shoot some pictures! We've got users from 20 countries at last count. Let's see some of the streams or lakes in your area! If you submit any site photography we'll get a new outing built out of it as soon as we can and we'll make it available as a free download.

I can't help asking a few in particular. Kerry, how about some of those high-altitude Colorado cutthroat streams you fish? Dennis, I'm sure you've got waters there in South Africa unlike anything most of us in the US have fished. TWJMD, how about some of your Eastern US salmon rivers? Xxxfarsing, how about something from Scotland? And Beadflyguy, I grew up in Oregon and I really miss those waters. Care to share one of those rivers with us?

I shot pictures on a pretty little stretch of stream through private land last weekend. The owner has a small cabin and an old farm house available for rent right near the water. It's a beautiful 150 year old farm, over 100 acres, on a creek with a history of producing trophy browns. While I was getting the tripod out of the car a man out for a walk stopped to talk. He owned the land across the valley from the old farm. He told me about the planted brookies, 8 to 10 inches, and the monster browns in the deep holes. His personal best was a 27 incher from the stretch I photographed. That was from worm dunking, but I have no doubt that a bulky streamer swimming over those holes at dusk or even at midnight could produce a monster like that.

While my stated goal for being there was to shoot the stream for the game, I must confess that I brought along a rod. I shot a few pools, then took a few casts in each with a brown bead head wooley bugger. That produced 2 brookies and 4 browns up to 15 inches. I missed a hit from something that looked bigger. I want to go back there late some evening and fish the deepest holes after dark with a big muddler and a stout leader.

Anyway, keep an eye on the forum for that outing. When time permits I'll get a downloadable outing ready on that stretch of water. Of course there will be a chance of hooking a huge brown. 8) And if anyone wants to know the real-world location and how to rent that cabin and farm house (both underpriced in my opinion), drop me an e-mail at paul@pishtech.com. It's in Western Wisconsin not too far from where we're located.

Happy fishing!

Paul

ID LOVE TO SHOOT MY LOCAL RIVER

Postby xxxfarsing » Tue May 02, 2006 11:53 am

Hello paul, id love to shoot my local river that is good for trout,grayling,and some salmon, im curently trying to get proper cameras to shoot it and hope by the end of june/july it will feature in your game, do i have to take pictures of all the fish i catch from there? of course you would have to add some traditional scottish flies! :D , ive also had many people asking about RWFF and posted them your way, so keep it coming one great game that will never be emulated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
xxxfarsing

Postby kerrye » Fri May 05, 2006 2:29 am

Hey Paul. I am more than willing to shoot a stream or two here in the San Juans, but you're gonna have to be patient. Some of the mountain roads aren't open yet and even with a less than normal snowpack, runoff makes the streams a little less than inviting. Kerry :lol:
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

I am interested in getting some photos for the game

Postby Simmsfisher » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Hello Paul,

I just wanted to know if you are still interested in people taking pictures of rivers for you to put into the game. I am interested in taking some pictures of the Margaree River in Cape Breton, Canada. It is a beautiful river that is full of Atlantic Salmon and very fun to fish. I could get lots of amazing photos of the river and a lot of different pools.
Simmsfisher

Postby paul » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Simmsfisher,

Absolutely. That sounds like an awesome river to add to the game. I've got a lot of rivers I've shot recently that I need to integrate into the software, but if someone contributes a water like that it will get top priority. Atlantic salmon would be a real treat, too. Thanks for the offer!

We would need some good pictures of the salmon, too. We would need some to show landed fish, and a good profile shot for building the 3D model that we use to produce the images of the fish in the water. And of course we'd want to add some salmon fly patterns.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby BigSteel » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:32 am

paul i have some great water here in B.C. to take photos of, big fish and pristene water create a good match! Send me a line if u want any photos! I'll go take them!
weekend warrior
BigSteel

Postby BigSteel » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 am

paul i have some great water here in B.C. to take photos of, big fish and pristene water create a good match! Send me a line if u want any photos! I'll go take them! Oh i wont get them to u till next fall, if u want the river when we fish it in its perfect time then the fall will have to be the time for me photograph it!!
weekend warrior
BigSteel

Postby paul » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Definitely! Just read the photography guidelines and head to the rivers with a camera, tripod and waders! I think we'd all love to see some B.C. salmon and steelhead rivers. The fish pictures you've got would be a great help, too.

Any outings people contribute will always be made available to download for free. I'll continue to make some new waters that I've shot available for free too, but I'll also save some of the ones I shoot for upcoming editions of the game. Today I'm working on the Cascade Creek outing and I'll upload it as soon as it's ready (probably a few days.)

How about this: Anyone who contributes outings that turn out good enough to add to the game (basically anything shot according to the guidelines document) will be entitled to a free copy of the current full version and all future editions. If you've already got the current full version your free copy will make a nice gift for a fishing friend. When the next edition is ready (there will be several new rivers, new species and fly tying) everyone who has contributed to the game will receive a free copy.

Of course the main reason to contribute is for the fun of it - It's a kick to share your favorite rivers with anglers all over the world and to be a part of this game's growth.

So go shoot those rivers, BigSteel!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby BigSteel » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:30 pm

paul where are these guidelines! And i will gladly go during the fall and take pictures of our magnificent rivers that we have here in B.C.
weekend warrior
BigSteel

Postby paul » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:59 am

I'll post the link in a separate thread to make it easier for people to find.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Return to Real World Fly Fishing