Papuan Black Bass

Creating and sharing new content for Real World Fly Fishing

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

Papuan Black Bass

Postby FlyManJoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi All, I have finished creating the papuan black bass, and this fish is my first fish uploaded. The max size is 50". Let me know how you like it so I know where to improve.

Some pictures to go with.

and know the link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggxlerhulihwv ... 20bass.zip
FlyManJoe

Re: Papuan Black Bass

Postby wyldechylde77 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Hey Joe,

Great job on your first fish!! Can't wait to give it a shot when I have the chance!!
But....I do have a couple of things to bring up. Now please, do not take anything I as here offensively because I, by absolutely NO means, mean anything to be ill-willed. I am just commenting to make you and your fish creations better, from an outside POV.
First, size. You have him listed at 50" max. Personally I would give him 60-65" and here is why. The Papuan Black Bass (Nuigini Bass is its real name) is known as one of the toughest fish in the world. It routinely breaks large tackle, almost like lassoing a Cape Buffalo to play tug-o-war. This fish in game should require heavy tackle, no less than 12w rod, 0x leader (that should be a super hard fight in itself!!) Here is an excerpt about the Nuigini Bass from "Outdoor Life" magazine, where they wrote about the toughest fish in the world on a scale from 1-10. You'll see the Nuigini was rated VERY HIGH:

Niugini Bass

TOUGH SCALE 9.2

AT FIRST GLANCE THEY LOOK LIKE LARGEMOUTH BASS ON STEROIDS, but they sport the teeth of a junkyard dog and maintain the disposition of a wounded Cape buffalo.These days Niugini bass (a kind of snapper, actually) max out near 40 pounds, though there are reports of 70-pounders that have been dynamited from the drowned trees in the brackish jungle rivers of New Guinea, where they live. What you cast to them isn't important; they'll eat anything that swims—other fish, little crocodiles, small mammals. It's just that your muskie or saltwaterbait ought to have its hooks replaced with 5X stouts. You need an 80-pound-test wire leader, 40- or 50-pound-test line and a drag that has been tightened down with pliers.

Cast tight to the logjams, and when the greenish-grayish creature streaks out and chomps your plug, yell "hit it" to the guy running the outboard. Maybe you'll drag the fish out. More likely it will pull you to the gunwale, crack your knees against the side of the boat, maybe pop some guides off the rod and snap the line.

Original article: http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/fis ... fish-earth

This should reflect for the most part in our game, and I say "for the most part" because it is possible that maybe the heaviest tackle in the game wouldn't be enough to take on one. But, this is a game first and foremost and some liberties can be taken. And with the normal fish around 40 lbs but can get to 70-80lbs, I just think 50" is on the small side. Just my opinion. ;-)

Also, and this isn't that big a deal but it would drive purists (and perfectionists lol) crazy, but you should always capitalize the names. Right now, you have it as "papuan black bass". Looks much more professional when written "Papuan Black Bass". Or even if you wanted to use its real name, "Nuigini Bass", it kind of allows it to be used in other areas of New Guinea outings. See what I mean?

Again, this is not to put down your work or offend you Joe because it is a great first effort, much better than my own (yeah, I crashed and burned HARD. Just ask Stanley some time Lol). Just a few pointers from an outside POV and to make you better at it. ;)
wyldechylde77

Postby FlyManJoe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:57 am

Hi Chuck, thanks for the feed back on the fish I'd rather have feed back on what to improve then having no comments or comments that don't tell you what you should change. But I have looked throughout the google images for "Papuan black bass" and could only find ones that look like 50" to me. I also checked some records like "world record Papuan black bass" and could only get weights of 40 pounds. I will go change the max size to 70" and capitalize the name and maybe change to Niugini bass. That's one impressive fish. I've caught a 9' 7" white sturgeon in the Fraser river and I would rate the toughness at about 7 and that fish was HUGE. But 9.2 for a 80 pounder that fish must be strong as you know what.
FlyManJoe

Postby wyldechylde77 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 am

Hi Joe,

I was hoping that I didn't sound too harsh or anything, because I surely didn't mean to. It's tough to convey the right emotion when typing, isn't it? Glad you know how to take things bud!!
I see what you mean by the way. I was looking for pics of a 60-70lb Niugini Bass, but was coming up with the same results as you. Interesting. It's up to you if you wanna go as high as 70". That would definitely equal a fight, but I think you'd be better off with 60-65", personally. Thus ensuring a good fight and remaining realistic. I'll make you laugh here. I actually used a measuring tape to get a figure hahahaha! But it's your call.
A 9'7" Sturgeon is no slouch, bud. I'm sure you were a hurtin' unit after that fight!! I was reading in the latest issue of In-Fisherman magazine about the Niugini Bass and was amazed to find out that they can routinely snap heavy duty rods and have even been known to snap 100lb braid due to thier sheer power. I use 30lb braid for most of my bigger fish (salmon, pike, Muskie, etc) and really don't have any problems with the fish snapping my line. As damn strong as braid is, I can only imagine how strong a fish must be to snap 100lb braid!! That's insane!!!
I think this guy will be a fun new edition to the species and the game. I am really happy to see all these new outings and species coming about! I just hope I can find time to learn how to create fish species. I may have a few more up my sleeve!
wyldechylde77

Postby FlyManJoe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 am

Hi Chuck, yeah it is hard putting emotion in to typing. but a 60"+ fish snapping 100 lb braid is crazy I only use 30lb braid like you for big fish (well what's considered big in Kansas). I will probably go 65'' for the max size on this fish. I should be done the changes soon if you stumble across a giant fish picture be sure to tell me about caught pictures aren't that easy to come across for a huge fish. Also I am sure you will good at creating species you've got a lot of excellent ideas. Just the only thing I did not like about the Niugini bass is its fins that are hard to detail. Then again after Stanley just finished the brown bullhead he probably think the details on the Niugini are like outlining a square.
FlyManJoe

Postby Barns » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Joe

Could you load up the giff image so we can see what it looks like, then we can give you hints or any problems on it. Joe your caught pictures should be 1024 x 768. Had a look at it in a test outing, need some work done to it. The picture you used not very good unless you sort where the fingers have been, body needs to be more rounder looks dented where fingers were. Also fins too large behind gill cover. Your fish looks kind of flat where as the real fish is more round like shape of a carp. Don't think you increased the depth of the fish when creating.

For first attempt, at least you completed it. Not as easy as people think, getting the shape of fish makes it look better. If you want me to do one i could sent you what the shape of profile should look like. These are only my comments. I went through hell learning how to do it by Richard Westerlaken, a great teacher on how to do, but sadly cannot get him back into game. I have a complete set of notes , we did on chat over 2 nights this is now my bible on how to make fish. If you require a copy please let me know.

Thanks

Barns
Barns

Postby Barns » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Joe

I have created a new fish for you, sorted the fingers and some other small bits, from this picture you will see what the shape should look like. Will send in e-mail. Just trying to point you in right direction.
Take your time when doing profile of fish its the most important part of a good looking fish.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Postby Barns » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:24 pm

PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FISH UNTIL IT IS SORTED

Joe is working hard on new fish.

Regards

Barns
Barns

Return to RWFF Development