strange catch

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

strange catch

Postby Carolmo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:58 pm

while fishing Czech Coulee I "hooked" one of those boxes at the top of the screen! It shrunk down to about a size 4 fly and even though I hit the space bar, I couldn't get rid of it! I could even cast it! (had to exit to get rid of it!0 Has this happened to anyone else?
Carolmo
Carolmo

Postby Pitti » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 am

Hi Carolmo :)

First of all, very welcome at our comfy community.

The white boxes I get sometimes if another program is running in the background. It's the best to disable all running programs while RWFF is running.

What have you done to hook the box? I'm wondering because I can only cast if the buttons are disable (space-bar).

Also have you installed the newest driver for your graphic-card?

Hope to see you at one of the next contests. :)

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby Carolmo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi Peter!
Thanks for the welcome!
If I had something running in the background I sure didn't know about it!
This only happened once. I just moved the mouse and the rod moved upward and hooked the box! It was really funny! It looked like a tag hanging from my line. I don't know how to mess with the graphics card.
LOVE this game!
Carolmo
Carolmo

Postby paul » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:15 pm

What probably happened was the graphics card was low on memory for some reason. Usually that means some other program is using resources, but a couple of times I've seen it happen when the game has been running for hours non-stop. When the game tries to load an image it fails and still has some other image in that memory. In this case it sounds like it tried to load the image of your fly and had a leftover toolbar button in that space. I've never seen that, but it does sound pretty amusing. I'm trying to find a reasonable cure. If it's out of video memory and can't load an image the choices are to not load the image or to quit running. But if the cause for running out of memory is actually the game leaking some memory, possibly only under certain unusual circumstances, then there should be a way to truly fix it.

Welcome to the RWFF forum!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Carolmo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Hi again!
I don't think it's a real "problem". I just thought it was funny and wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it. Strange things can happen when you are fishing!
Carolmo
Carolmo

Postby dcarp » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Hello Carolyn,

Welcome to the community here. I just have one question..... were you able to catch any fish with it???? If so, please tie up a couple in the fly tying portion of the game and share :wink: .

Dcarp
dcarp

Postby Carolmo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi!
Believe it or not I did cast it a few times (trying to lose it) . I didn't get any rises so I don't think it works too well as a fly! It sure was strange--and funny! It looked so cute just hanging off my leader! It appeared to be about a size 6!
Carolmo
Carolmo

Return to Real World Fly Fishing