Clubhouse Library

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Clubhouse Library

Postby dcarp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Hello Everyone,

If you haven't visited the clubhouse library in a while, check it out:

RWFF Clubhouse Library

You'll notice in the Bookcase to the right a book titled "Art of Flytying". I'm giving Pitti a hand by writing some articles for the book. I've picked a few flies and done a little research to find out the recipe, history, origins, etc.

If you've got a particular fly you'd like to see in the book, send me a PM with the information. The more background info, the better. If all you have is the fly name, that's OK too. I'll do the research part.

Also, if you see a fly article in the book and wish to dispute the historical references, pattern recipe, etc., send me that information as well. I do not claim to be a historian, or and expert. If your data is more reliable, I'll be happy to edit the article.

Any and all suggestions, comments, questions are welcomed.

Dave
dcarp

Fly tying guide

Postby Bobcat John » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi Dcarp
I think what you and peter are doing for the club is making this a club house we can all be proud of and have a lot of fun in. I like the histroy part so many time we use fly's in our fishing. and we don't know how the fly came about.

Thanks
I've spent the most important time of my life fishing. What was left over I wasted.

Bobcat John

Bobcat John

Postby Pitti » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Dave,

everytime if I look into the book, there are new articels. You are very assiduous. In a few weeks it will be an great work of reference.

Thank you very much :)

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby oppimax » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Dave,

what a good job you have done! :D

Fantastic!

Congratulations! :wink:

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Postby Cutch » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Great info, Dave,.....thanks :!: :wink:
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:24 pm

Hey Cutch,

I'm having a pretty hard time finding historical information about the Green Butt Skunk. You'd think that for a extremely popular NW Steelhead Fly, there'd be more information out there. About the only thing I've come up with historical is that if "may" have evolved from Al Kundosn's Black Bear.

Have you got any information that could help me out?

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:54 am

Dave,
The Green Butted Skunk was my favorite Steelhead fly on the N. Umpqua. I used it by Steamboat in the "flyfishing only" area. :wink:
I don't have any information on it,....sorry. I tied my own flies when I was younger and able to walk the banks and fish for Steelhead.
Cutch

Postby dcarp » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:21 pm

Cutch,

Thanks anyway. Maybe you invented it!!! :wink:

I found a couple leads and posted two of them. There's also a story about some famous photographer that may have come up with the first
skunk.

Dave
dcarp

Postby dcarp » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm nearing the end of the project that Pitti asked me to help out with and was wondering what the group thought about expanding the book just a little. What are your thoughts on adding one more Chapter for "Flies from around the World"?

What I'm thinking is that we could use a chapter to display some flies that may not be used here in the US, but are probably popular in other parts of the world - flies like the Rackelhanen from Sweden, the Mrs. Simpson and the Hamill's Killer from New Zealand, etc. etc.

Dave
dcarp

Return to Real World Fly Fishing