problem updating to new version

Help for technical issues

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest

problem updating to new version

Postby rwwalleye » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am

Hi everyone,
Got everything going good at 128 v. but everytime I try to update to 131 v. the game goes to gr game quit working stopped working. I/ve tried updating with just the original game and with all files up to date and get the same results. I.ve reinstalled at least 6 times and got new updates off the forum to no avail. I'm using windows Vista. I't worked well before but something is wrong. to begin posting new outings need some help. Also when I download new version like 131 and go thru verifying files no errors appear,
Thanks Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Re: problem updating to new version

Postby Yellowstone7 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Roger:

Sorry to hear you are having troubles updating to V.131 from V.128. Do you have your RWFF game installed in a "games" folder under C:? You don't have to do that with XP but this is necessary with Vista and Windows7 as the latter systems handles files quite differently. After you have unzipped the V.131 files into the main RWFF folder. Did you click on the "rwff_update.exe" button to effect the update? The fish strength fix does not need to be updated. Just put the files into your RWFF folder and you will be fine.

I have found sometimes the "gr" error comes up when there is a graphics issue as well. Do you have the latest graphics card driver and DirectX updates? If none of the above works then I will dig into my old computer and see if I still have the V.131 update zip file. However, the chance of a corrupted zip files is very small when you download from the Club House.

That is all I can think of right now. Please come back and let us know if this works or not.

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Postby rwwalleye » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:14 am

Hi Stanley and everyone,
Stanley, thank you for the info for the quick fix of updates. It ended up that I didn't have directx downloaded. Finally got 1 program downloaded and all the updates, updated and just tested it and it works fine. I'll get some practice in and then I'll be ready for anything that you can throw at us. Thank you again for the info, it's good to be up and running again. Will try some new outings over the next few days and will post what I get. Thank you again and your Idaho outing is looking good.
Roger (rwwalleye)
rwwalleye

Postby Yellowstone7 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 am

Hi Roger:

Glad you got it fixed and everything is working again. The cursed "gr" issue will remain as one of the esoteric characters of our great RWFF. It pops up once in a while and has everyone scratching their heads. It just means something has gone wrong but not telling you what it is. The graphics issue is one that is often overlooked by many people. I learned this from a personal experience many year ago when I started with RWFF. I am glad this past experience benefitted members like yourself. :lol:

Hope to see your great postings and catches on the RWFF Forum soon!

Regards,

Stanley
Stanley (Yellowstone7)

Yellowstone7

Return to Tech Support