New Contest: "Trip to Yellowstone"

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Postby paul » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:13 pm

That site is also the 4th to last in non-challenge mode. Try signing in as Cheater, set skill level to expert, do regular fishing on the Lewis, and then do "Previous Site" 4 times. That will put you on the same site and show you where the fish tend to hang out. There aren't a lot of them, and they're pretty easy to spook, but they're catchable. Try a #12 olive flashback scud. To get the fly down quickly in the current I'd suggest lots of split shot and a strike indicator. Try a lighter rod to reduce the chance of spooking them with your casts.

Good luck!

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby oppimax » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks Paul!

I'll try it!

Ciao
Massimo

p.s. No news about the crash I told you; still happen and nothing acting in this moment!
oppimax

Postby dcarp » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello All,

Great contest Pitti! Those Yellowstone Rivers can be quite a challenge! Out of all the rivers, those give me fits. Seems like the first hole at each river takes a while to get a fish.

Hey Cutch, either you or I need to win this time and get the Dechutes or other Oregon river in the game next!

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:11 pm

I'm having the same kind of luck in Lewis River. Many times I tried and couldn't even get a strike in the first hole,...gave up. A couple times I caught fish in the first 3 spots but could not advance any further. I'd fish an hour or more, use every type of fly and weight available,...and couldn't get a strike. I'll try a couple more times but will probably give up on this contest. (I have other things that I must do) :wink:

Cutch

Postby Pitti » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Great! At last a true challenge. :D

Not a strike every 15 sec., but the fish must hard eke out.

Great challenge :P

Cutch, come on, don't be a softy. Fighting is the motto :D :wink:

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby Cutch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:31 am

I'll keep trying but I just can't bring myself to use cheat codes, even for scouting. :wink: After all, in real life deer hunting and fishing, the deer or fish don't jump out and yell "HERE I AM, CUTCH!) LOL
Thanks anyway Paul but I will try the Olive Scud and splitshot. (I might custom tie a "Olive Scud Killer" using a lead body so it will sink fast. :wink:
Cutch

Postby Boston Bob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 am

If you experts are having trouble on the Lewis, what about this novice....
I can't even get by the first site. I started with the Lewis and thought I just stunk on Expert mode but skipped over it and I completed both the Firehole Creek and Madison river. Now I'm back on the Lewis and having no luck at all. Peter, can you post the scores on two rivers out of the three?

I'll try the Lewis a couple of more times but having a two hour allotment for the game is very hard at times. This is when a (save as) mode would be good.
Then you could continue later on the Challenge mode at a later time while saving where you were up to then.

Frustrated,
Boston bob
Boston Bob

Postby paul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Here's another tip for folks having trouble on the Lewis: Use the longest possible leader, and start with short casts and gradually get longer to avoid spooking the fish by landing or floating the line over them. Some of these sites have small numbers of fish, and every fish you spook makes it harder. I'd suggest turning on the guide advice since the guide will point out when a fish has been spooked by the line. Dropping down to a very line rod will also help.

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby dcarp » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Hello all,

Paul: Thanks for the tips.

I know it's possible to catch fish there, it's just tough. But that's the way it is in real life a lot of the time. I made it to site 5 of 6 last night, but lost power and my UPS didn't last long enough to finish out the challenge. I got a fish early on site 1 with a caddis larva nymph and then breezed through the next few sites, missed a strike on site 5 but was continuting to work it. It ain't Barron Ponds or Gemini Lake, that's for sure!

Dave
dcarp

Postby Cutch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 pm

He, heh, before you call me a "Softie" Pitti, have you tried fishing these 3 streams in expert mode? LOL (Just joking Pitti, not being sarcastic) :wink: Boston Bob has a great idea with difficult streams like Lewis River, Paul. In a fix or something, create a "Save Mode" so we wouldn't have to start over.
I'm retired but I don't have a couple hours, over and over again, to try to pass one river like this. (If I had to spend this much time in real fishing to get a strike, I'd take up golfing or something else. LOL :wink:
I'll try these tips Paul gave us,...but can't bring myself to use the cheat code. :wink:
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 pm

Hello :)

It seems that we have no luck with some of latest contests.

The Lewis River looks like a extrem hard water. Paul, have you test it and finished a challenge there? If nobody of the user finished it, it seems programmed to hard or is a small bug possible? I remember that I asked this some mounth ago, because I could never finished a challenge there, but I thought it's my incompetence.

I do not want cancel the contest, so please send me your highest total sum of the river which you have finished, also if you have only 1 or 2 challenges complete fished. The highest score wins.

Example if you finished 2 River:

Madison River:
Total Score: 1006
Challenge Code: blablabla

Firehole River:
Total Score: 877

Final Score: 1883

or if you finished 1 River:

Firehole River:
Total Score: 877

Final Score: 877

So we can find out the winners anyway, without cancel the contest. I think this is best solution, before everybody is frustrated too much.

@Bob, I can't post any challenge score, because current I havn't got any score via PM. It really seems that nobody has finished all 3 River.

I hope the changed rules like above are ok for all of you.

@Cutch: Sorry about the "Softy". It was really just a joke. :D :wink: How I wrote, I could never finished the challenge at the Lewis.

Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby Cutch » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:20 pm

No problem with the softie comment, Pitti,....I knew you were just kidding my friend,...so was I. :wink:
Cutch

Postby Pitti » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:06 pm

Hello :)

I want just let you know, that there is no bug at the Lewis River. It is possible to finish this challenge. I can confirm it.

Anyway, also if you don't fished all 3 River, please send me your scores like above.

Tight Lines :D
Regards Peter
Pitti

Postby dcarp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Hey guys,

I have mixed feelings about the rule change, but overall, I think it's the best solution. We'll all be able to post a score even if we don't complete the challenge.

I've made it to site 6 on the Lewis one time, but it was late at night and I had to quit and go to bed. I spent over an hour on that site alone and had fished for about 4 hours straight! I made it to site 5 two other times, but once lost power and the UPS gave out. The other time I gave up on it.

I did take Paul's advice and used cheater mode to "scout" for the fish. He's right, they are VERY spooky in expert mode. One false cast can really mess you up. Light, Long Rod - Light, Long Leader - Short casts to begin. All great tips from Paul and very necessary. Just got to be able to put in the time. (kinda like real life sometimes.....)

You're all probably sick of hearing me say it, but I'm a proponent of "keeping it real". Don't know about the rest of you, but in real life it takes patience and persistance to get one hooked.

Great contest Pitti and keep them coming!!!!
dcarp

post subject

Postby William Feltham » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

:x Hi Peter I was unable to complete all the challenges, in the Yellowstone contest I did find it very hard, as other players have also found out. I will not be sending in my entries for this comp. There is no fun in the competition in this round, its been really hard sitting for hours on end, getting nowhere. I can't wait until the next comp to see what you can dream up.
William Feltham

PreviousNext

Return to Real World Fly Fishing