Future outings

RWFF game announcements and discussion (off-topic posts will be deleted)

Moderators: Scottish Warrior, Yellowstone7, richwest, Pitti

Future outings

Postby paul » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 pm

Here's a description of most of the waters that have been photographed for RWFF but not yet integrated into the game. The winner of the current contest will get to pick which one will be released next, and get to fish it a week before it's available to the public. I'll make completing that new outing a priority once the competition is finished. Good luck!

Paul

----------------------------------------------------

Beaver Creek, Minnesota is a small stream with brown and brook trout. The bottom is fairly muddy but there were are few nice holes with pretty good fishing. Sample:

Bloody Run Creek, Iowa is a small spring creek with brook trout. This is one of the earlier streams shot for the game, and the photo quality isn't as good as most of the newer ones, but it's an interesting little stream. Sample:

Cataract Creek in Glacier National Park, Montana holds brook trout. This stretch lies between two lakes and includes one large deep pool and some shallow riffles. The fish aren't very big but the scenery is quite nice. One site might even have a moose visible in the distance. It's even in this sample, but it's just a few brown pixels in this small image:

Catherine Creek is a stream in Oregon I used to fish as a kid. It's stocked with some 10-12 inch rainbow trout and has lots of pretty but small native trout:

Church Coulee Creek in southwestern Wisconsin is one of many small spring creeks with good trout fishing. This one is smaller than most and the fish can be easy to spook. Most are small but there's a chance of a pretty decent trout too:

The Deschutes River in Oregon is a famous steelhead river. I shot this one right above the mouth just before dusk so some of the sites I shot last may not turn out (too little light.) The steelhead run was just getting started at the time I took these:

Gold Creek is a pretty little freestone stream in northern Montana. It holds mostly brook trout:

The Root River in Minnesota is a very good trout stream and in this lower stretch the trout may be less abundant but there's a chance of a big one. There may also be some smallmouth bass in this part of the river:

The Lower Sacramento River is is a large tailwater that produces a lot of big rainbow trout. It's fished hard, but if you can present a nymph with a dead drift you can expect to hook some hard fighting fish:

The Minam River is a medium sized river in the mountains of northern Oregon. It holds mostly rainbow trout, but it has regular runs of steelhead. They weren't running when I took the pictures, but we could put them in there for the game:

Moss Creek is a high mountain stream in Eastern Oregon. The trout in this upper stretch are small, but they're abundant, and extremely eager to pounce on a fly. Almost all the fish here are bull trout, which are a protected species. I've got ample photos of these pretty little trout so we can add them to the game:

The Saint Mary River on the east side of Glacier National Park in Montana is a fair sized and fairly fast moving river. It's pretty, and holds mostly rainbow trout and whitefish. I don't have the whitefish pictures right now to put those in the game, but we could boost the rainbow population instead:

Here's a tributary of the Saint Mary River. It's a clear freestone stream that looks like it should support fair numbers of rainbows:

The St. Regis River in northwestern Montana looks like a really good trout fishery to me:

Swiftcurrent Lake in Glacier National Park, Montana is a stillwater fishery with brook trout and kokanee (small landlocked sockeye salmon.) We'd make the outing just brook trout until we can get some kokanee pictures:

The Tieton River in Washington was running high and off-color when I shot these pictures. It was still quite fishable for rainbow trout, especially with streamers and wet flies.

Here's a higher stretch of the Root River in Minnesota. Here the trout are mostly smaller than those in the lower area, but more abundant:

The Upper Sacramento River is a famous trout fishery. While it's not known for the numbers of really large trout the way the Lower Sacramento is, the trout are abundant, the scenery is great and the average size rainbow there is still quite nice:

The Whitewater River in Minnesota has some good looking and productive trout water, and some areas that are more marginal fisheries. Expect mostly brown trout here:

Wilbur Creek is a small stream with hungry brookies in Glacier National Park. The fish aren't abundant but they're pretty, and the stream is beautiful:

The Yachats River flows into the Pacific Ocean in Oregon. I shot the stretch right at the mouth. It supports runs of salmon, but not at the time I shot this. It holds a lot of blueback cutthroat trout, which migrate to and from the ocean. The ones I saw were quite small, but we could simulate the river during a salmon run. We would need to get some more pacific salmon photos to make it worthwhile, but we've got a few we could start with:
Last edited by paul on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul
Site Admin

New outings.

Postby oppimax » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:48 am

Paul,

I've no words! :D

Amazing!!! :P

If you need an help to make those wonderfull outings in RWFF.....

Ciao
Massimo
oppimax

Postby Pitti » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:30 pm

They all are beautiful water! Anyway, my favorit is the Deschutes River, because it's a world-famous River and there can be found steelhead. :D

Paul, it's time to release the outing maker tools. Massimo can't wait. :wink:

Peter
Pitti

Postby Cutch » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Awesome pictures Paul,.... I agree with Pitti. I fished the Deschutes River years ago and caught some nice Steelhead. :wink:
Cutch

Postby mickg » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm

Hi paul does the Deschutes River also have sone bull trout?
mickg

Postby paul » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:36 pm

I hadn't heard of any bull trout in the Deschutes, but I just read up on it a bit. There are parts of its drainage further south that have them, but there wouldn't be any in the portion of the river I shot for the game (the northern most mile or so.)

By the way, I've also been collecting photos of northern pike and muskies so we can get those into the game. We can add the pike to the Upper Mississippi and Baron Pond, and the muskies to Gemini Lake. The Duke has been sending me some great fish photos.

Tight lines,

Paul
paul
Site Admin

Postby Cutch » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:17 pm

Paul, (Hint, hint)
Stripers put up a heck of a fight on a flyrod. There are striped Bass in several of the coastal rivers in Oregon plus rivers in California. :wink:
Cutch

Postby kerrye » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Let's get those Northerns in the water! I just finished building a nine ft., eight weight, four piece rod for northerns in a couple of local lakes and I need some practice before I go after them. :D
A man should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing.
kerrye

Return to Real World Fly Fishing